Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manifold stud broke.

Manifold stud broke.

So I paid a "friend" to delete my cats last weekend. Fast forward to this morning driving home from work developed a leak from the drivers side. Figured F it bolt came loose. Get home open hood because leak is coming from manifold see this. WTF not too happy at this point. Text him to ask about it. No response. So no I have to pull the thing off, probably need a new one or long tubes.

Take it to a different exhaust shop.
    They can fix it or rig it so it holds.

If you plan on removing it, start soaking the hardware in penetrating oil NOW.

Thanks for the advice Zack and the shimmer of hope. They might give me a little flack for removing factory emissions equipment. Worst case car will get put away till spring then I'll have time to save money for headers.

take it apart and drill out the broken bolt, then nut and bolt it..... the same thing happened to my cobra shorties.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    take it apart and drill out the broken bolt, then nut and bolt it..... the same thing happened to my cobra shorties.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^ or

Soak the broken piece, drill out the center, use heat and an extractor to remove.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Update: Just talked to him guess they all broke. Really disappointed he didn't tell me. So they are all rigged in such manner. How difficult is it to pull them off? Any tips? Don't wany to break the manifold studs and have to pull the heads off too.

I know this might be a "Dead" art...But one of the things that I was taught under the muffler rack ,was to "burn" broken bolts from cast manifolds.
    It requires BIG cohones,as there's a lot of molten metal hitting the ground(hopefully)(not into sleeve).
    The higher carbon bolt will "burn" (oxidize) right out of the threaded hole,leaving enough threads to run a tap into and facilitate a repair.
    The repair route he took would have worked if he'd used a cast rod (High nickel)or a 309 wire/argon mix.
    Hope this helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by wannaMM View Post
    I know this might be a "Dead" art...But one of the things that I was taught under the muffler rack ,was to "burn" broken bolts from cast manifolds.
    It requires BIG cohones,as there's a lot of molten metal hitting the ground(hopefully)(not into sleeve).
    The higher carbon bolt will "burn" (oxidize) right out of the threaded hole,leaving enough threads to run a tap into and facilitate a repair.
    The repair route he took would have worked if he'd used a cast rod (High nickel)or a 309 wire/argon mix.
    Hope this helps.....
    Did that many times back in the late 70's & 80's.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post

Same here. Oxy/acetylene and watch it just run right out as liquid leaving all the threads intact. Not something I'd feel comfy with on someone else's car though..

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Ditto ,back in the day when Ford's Slogan was ' Ford has a Better Idea ' Northeast Ford 1979-- Tech #12 '' Warranty Slave ''
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

Quote Originally Posted by 71cyclone View Post
    Ditto ,back in the day when Ford's Slogan was ' Ford has a Better Idea ' Northeast Ford 1979-- Tech #12 '' Warranty Slave ''
    1974 - 1980, Wayne Lincoln Mercury, Wayne , N.J. Line tech, used cars & new car prep. Remember you had to drill the hole for and install the antenna? Also did the under coating, inside the doors and rocker panels.

1982 - 1983, Terry Ford, Pompano Beach, Fl., line tech specializing in electrical, squeaks, rattles, water leaks, brakes, tune ups, all types of engine repairs.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Looks like he tried welding a new stud onto the manifold. Totally the wrong way to fix this. I run into this quite a bit, and most the cars I work on are not this rusty - so I'm not surprised that they all broke.

He should have extracted the broken stud, and either replaced it or ran a bolt through the hole.

While you could save some money and reuse your manifolds, your going to save allot of trouble and labor by just replacing them - new mani's, mani studs & nuts, and gaskets.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

They can be fixed...on your back under the car....well not something I would try. If you have access to a hoist pop the cats off and get out your safety goggles. Don't forget your patience and really sharp drill bits.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

Taking it to an exhaust shop tomorrow to see if they can do anything. If not manifolds are coming off then going to the machine shop to get the broken studs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post
    Looks like he tried welding a new stud onto the manifold. Totally the wrong way to fix this. I run into this quite a bit, and most the cars I work on are not this rusty - so I'm not surprised that they all broke.

He should have extracted the broken stud, and either replaced it or ran a bolt through the hole.

While you could save some money and reuse your manifolds, your going to save allot of trouble and labor by just replacing them - new mani's, mani studs & nuts, and gaskets.
    Yeah I know that's the wrong way to fix it. He did it without telling me. My cars not that rusty. You should see my marquis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information