Thread: has anyone been booted off while making a post?

has anyone been booted off while making a post?

I have noticed many times that by the time I write a reply or post that the system has logged me off and asks me to log back on. Unfortunately, after I log in again, I try to go back to my post to re-send it and the page usually will have expired (although sometimes I am successful in finding it).

So unless I copy and past it before I click send, I find that there is a very good chance I have to re-write my post (and worry about the same thing happening again).

Has anyone else noticed that after a relatively short period of time, the forum times out?

Sometimes I gain access to the forum via my email notification, I wonder if that makes a difference or not.

My posts sometimes look rushed because I was mad and had to re-write it (fast enough) before it times out again.

Any thoughts?

GEO

Started happening to me once. It's in the settings. E-mail Logan, and he'll take care of it.

Something you may want to try doing is clearing your cookies out, and starting freash, then maybe it'll keep you in. If not, like I said, ask Logan, it's probably in the system.

I have a problem when loggin on with one of PC's. It will tell me to log in, so I do, type a response to something, try to post it, and it will tell me to log on again. It says that I am already on according to the "who's logged in" list, but I am not. I can login 10 times, and I still get the same message. I have no probelms with my UNIX boxes though. Only the PC's.
    "Pete, you could drop 2 tenths if you lose some weight"
    2002 Rendezvous CXL (hers)
    1968 Chevelle SS 396 convertible (not her's)
    1967 Chevelle coupe (not her's either)
    2002 Explorer Sport (not her's again)
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Turbo (was daughter's, now mine. Quick little bugger)

This is an easy one. At some point, usually during initial registration the system was told not to remember you.

Click this link and make sure that the questions:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...on=editoptions

Automatically login when you return to the site?
    Browse board with cookies?

are both answered "Yes"

If they aren't the system will make you login in everytime you try to do something that requires you to be a valid user, which is almost everything.

Thanks Logan, that is exactly the problem I've been having with some of the machines.

Wags
    "Pete, you could drop 2 tenths if you lose some weight"
    2002 Rendezvous CXL (hers)
    1968 Chevelle SS 396 convertible (not her's)
    1967 Chevelle coupe (not her's either)
    2002 Explorer Sport (not her's again)
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Turbo (was daughter's, now mine. Quick little bugger)

My access from home via AOL is old fashioned dial up. My access from work is through a highly secure ISP. In either location, I have not experienced the drop-out GEO describes here. Finally, some luck in my corner.

I have had this problem elsewhere on the web, Geo, and your "cut and paste" is probably a good habit anyway. I do that just to check if any other opinions have been added since my last read, and more often than not, someone has covered my thoughts in a post of their own and I pass on reply.

Check Logan's suggestion first. If that doesn't work, check your hard drive power saving settings. After that, check your ISP access settings for time out settings.

Most hard drive power-saving schemes are born in your computer's BIOS at boot. Shut down/sleep settings are usually minimal and conservative by default. You can control this in your Control Panel adjustments too. Anything hard-drive related, like saving files, adding, or, using cookies, or, a swap file refresh, will wake up a sleeping drive, and all of it is adjustable.

Oddly, the more memory you have in the box, the more likely this will occur, because your on-line work enjoys memory headroom, which does not cause the hard drive to force a swap file hit until its needed.

Once again, it's just fine tuning for personal preferrence.

IMHO.

Thread Information