Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: steering wheel shake shimmy

jcb100 Guest

steering wheel shake shimmy

I posted same concern a few weeks ago and several said my steering wheel shake was tire imbalance. Since then I have put on new tires, had road force balance done by 2 different shops and front end alignment and still have shimmy in wheel? Shimmy seems to depend on road surface and speed as it is not present at 55... but at 65 and over you feel it. If you stop the car during shimmy, then start back the shimmy will sometime stop??? Also, On older roads where pavement is smoother, very little shimmy in wheel, yet on new roads; especially concrete expressways, shimmy is worse. One guy said the steering damper in the pwr. steering assist unit is bad> never heard of this? Is there a way to adjust the steering assist unit?? One guy said it;s just the GFORCE tires "feeling" the road. The car had no problems for the first 15k miles and problem started then. Anybody got a clue? Of course all 3 of my local Merc dealers say nothing is wrong! They don't drive 1,000 miles a week like I do... so I know what the car does and the shimmy is wrong. already wearing inside track of new tires. help!!!!

You didn't say how many miles on the tires and they are already worn on the inside edges - assume they don't have to many miles and considering the rest of your symptoms - you still have a problem. I've got 26K+ miles on my '03 300A w/original front tires and they have wear on both inside & outside edges - more inside than out. I don't have any vibration or shimmy. Either all or some of the work you've had done on the car was done wrong - or you have a worn component in the front end that nobody has picked up on yet.
    Just to look in a different direction - I once had a problem in the winter with snow melting & refreezing on the rim behind the spokes on a rear tire acting like a big wheel weight. This caused a vibration that could be felt in the whole car - including the steering wheel. Have you checked the rear tires for balance? Any rear end linkage/shock damage?
    Good luck! I hope you get it fixed!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Lightbulb

Sounds like a bad rack, also check tie rod ends, but I'm sure they have.
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

jcb100 Guest
    Thanks, 25 k on car; 4k on new tires. yes rear tires were balanced as well. Have not considered a suspension part issue you suggest...certainly hope I don't have to go there, but will tyr that route. Thanks for the input!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krytin
    You didn't say how many miles on the tires and they are already worn on the inside edges - assume they don't have to many miles and considering the rest of your symptoms - you still have a problem. I've got 26K+ miles on my '03 300A w/original front tires and they have wear on both inside & outside edges - more inside than out. I don't have any vibration or shimmy. Either all or some of the work you've had done on the car was done wrong - or you have a worn component in the front end that nobody has picked up on yet.
    Just to look in a different direction - I once had a problem in the winter with snow melting & refreezing on the rim behind the spokes on a rear tire acting like a big wheel weight. This caused a vibration that could be felt in the whole car - including the steering wheel. Have you checked the rear tires for balance? Any rear end linkage/shock damage?
    Good luck! I hope you get it fixed!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jcb100
    Thanks, 25 k on car; 4k on new tires. yes rear tires were balanced as well. Have not considered a suspension part issue you suggest...certainly hope I don't have to go there, but will tyr that route. Thanks for the input!
    Take it to your dealer and tell him you want it fixed now not later!!

A couple more wild ideas - is there another MM near you that would be kind enough to try his front tires; what was the toe-in dimension, sometimes tweaking the toe can change things slightly. I assume when you say 'road force', you truly mean road force not just reg balance.

Also check lug nut torque, may have wourped rotors.

MercMan

In July 02 when I got my new MM it had a constant pull to the right and a constant steering wheel tremble, especially at speeds above 56 MPH. It took the dealer three days and a few calls to the factory to get the streering alignment right to correct the pulling problem. They also balanced the wheels. I took the car immediately on a trip to the midwest and the tremble was still there. Since the car was due its second oil change when I got there, I took it to a dealer in Nebraska for the oil change and again reported the steering wheel tremble. They balanced all four wheels again and it improved the condition slightly but the tremble is still there. I suspect that the left front tire may be out-around based upon the fact that the mechanic swapped the front and rear tires then found out that they were different sizes. He told me that the left rear tire balanced out better than the left front when he swapped the tire back to the original positions. I have not taken it back to the dealer but intend to in the near future, while the tires are still like new (6400 miles). The shake comes and goes (gets better and worse) depending on the road surface and I get the shake at various speeds. I also wonder if it is not the rack thats at fault.
    Last edited by Bad Boy Merc; 04-27-2004 at 12:04 PM.
    77 F350 Super Cab 460CUIN Black, Red Interior 24,000 Miles
    85 Ranger
    91 Aerostar
    03 MM 300A ordered 1 Mar 2002, built 27 June 2002, received 18 July 2002

TripleTransAm Guest
    I am beginning to think it is steering pump related.

Shimmy

I have had the same thing, however I notice at 65+. It seems to be more noticeable after I have been driving for awhile. If I start to apply the brakes.. (not a panic stop) the wheel really shakes. I am wondering if it is not a warped rotor. I have the car in for 4 new tires, alignment and oil change. I will get it back on Wednesday. Should know by Thursday.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal
    Silencer Removed
    K&N Air Filter
    Amsoil Synthetic

Seems to be fixed...

Got my car back last night from the dealership (4 new tires, alignment and oil change). Had them check the shimmy. They ended up turning the front rotors, which under warranty they are "suppose to do". The next step would be to replace the rotors.
    I drove about 55 miles this morning and the shimmy is gone. Nice and smooth like new. My car has 32,000 miles on it.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal
    Silencer Removed
    K&N Air Filter
    Amsoil Synthetic

jcb100 Guest
    Yes Raod force at 2 different shops. No other MM I know of but maybe the dealer would do this...good idea thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas C Potter
    A couple more wild ideas - is there another MM near you that would be kind enough to try his front tires; what was the toe-in dimension, sometimes tweaking the toe can change things slightly. I assume when you say 'road force', you truly mean road force not just reg balance.

jcb100 Guest
    Thanks, yes the way you describe the intermittent tremble is exactly like I experience. I am thinking of putting some 16" rims/tires on front from a crown vic just for a test and see if problem goes away...tyring to determine if it's tire issue or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Boy Merc
    MercMan

In July 02 when I got my new MM it had a constant pull to the right and a constant steering wheel tremble, especially at speeds above 56 MPH. It took the dealer three days and a few calls to the factory to get the streering alignment right to correct the pulling problem. They also balanced the wheels. I took the car immediately on a trip to the midwest and the tremble was still there. Since the car was due its second oil change when I got there, I took it to a dealer in Nebraska for the oil change and again reported the steering wheel tremble. They balanced all four wheels again and it improved the condition slightly but the tremble is still there. I suspect that the left front tire may be out-around based upon the fact that the mechanic swapped the front and rear tires then found out that they were different sizes. He told me that the left rear tire balanced out better than the left front when he swapped the tire back to the original positions. I have not taken it back to the dealer but intend to in the near future, while the tires are still like new (6400 miles). The shake comes and goes (gets better and worse) depending on the road surface and I get the shake at various speeds. I also wonder if it is not the rack thats at fault.

jcb100 Guest
    Triple...tell me your theroy on why you think it could be the sterring pump? Is there some type of damper inthe sterring pump that mught be going bad and letting something come thru to the steering wheel..please expound on your theory
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    I am beginning to think it is steering pump related.

I have the same intermittant shimmy . first noticed it at 2000mi has 3000 now had the tires balanced yesterday( all four) drove home hit 80 mph to be sure it was fixed. seemed ok , but tonight on my way home on wet pavement over 62 started again I hate when that happens, I'm guessing tires. That was our service mgrs. first response when I brought it up several weeks ago. Probably because I said I notice it more when I first start driving . heck I only have afour mile commute to work!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information