Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: big 3 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    What kind of volt gauge are you using in the car? If you are using a marauder volt gauge it's not very accurate.
    Glowshift volt gauge
    http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/white...olt-gauge.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic05 View Post
    Not sure if its because I am missing the 0 gauge engine block to chassis but when I run my music loud and I am at a light in drive, my voltage drops to 13, sometimes low enough to 12 volts. Then I take off and it gets to 13.8-14 volts. now, this drop only happens with the music loud. I have about 2000-2200 watt rms of music. I am running a 200 p71 alternator. Will I need a secound battery or will the 0guage engine block to chassis solve this issue?
    I don't think there is a problem. Gauge is reporting correctly.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Not sure if its because I am missing the 0 gauge engine block to chassis but when I run my music loud and I am at a light in drive, my voltage drops to 13, sometimes low enough to 12 volts. Then I take off and it gets to 13.8-14 volts. now, this drop only happens with the music loud. I have about 2000-2200 watt rms of music. I am running a 200 p71 alternator. Will I need a secound battery or will the 0guage engine block to chassis solve this issue?
    With a perfect 14.4V system you will pull anywhere from 140 to 152A with the amps maxed out, most alternators only put out there rated amperage above a certain RPM, 1000-1200, which is above your idle speed, so that coupled with you having you foot on the brake causing the brake lights to light up, slow engine speed, and high amp draw from your amplifiers your volts will drop until you reach the minimum engine speed to where the alternator can keep up with the amp draw.

I would first finish the big 3, the negative is the "return" in a DC voltage system. Your total amp draw will be limited by the smaller gauge engine block to chassis wire unless you have another ground wire runnning from the engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by jwibbity View Post
    With a perfect 14.4V system you will pull anywhere from 140 to 152A with the amps maxed out, most alternators only put out there rated amperage above a certain RPM, 1000-1200, which is above your idle speed, so that coupled with you having you foot on the brake causing the brake lights to light up, slow engine speed, and high amp draw from your amplifiers your volts will drop until you reach the minimum engine speed to where the alternator can keep up with the amp draw.

I would first finish the big 3, the negative is the "return" in a DC voltage system. Your total amp draw will be limited by the smaller gauge engine block to chassis wire unless you have another ground wire runnning from the engine block.
    Sounds correct. I will finish the big 3 which in my case I guess it will be the big 4 because I already have the alternator to battery, engine block to battery and fender to battery. Lets see what happens after the last wire install.

Did a quick video for you guys. I am spanish so I do more spanish music then american.
    When in the car with the family, radio is not to be turned up past 25-30. Whwn im all by myself, I go full throttle at about 50-52 volume.

http://vid457.photobucket.com/albums...psismtvnz1.mp4

Did a quick video for you guys. I am spanish so I do more spanish music then american.
    When in the car with the family, radio is not to be turned up past 25-30. Whwn im all by myself, I go full throttle at about 50-52 volume.

http://vid457.photobucket.com/albums...psismtvnz1.mp4
    Be prepared to start posting in this thread.......

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=40050
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post

Wow, thats crazy man. I feel for him.

Most of the time My music in my car is at the loudest when at car meets. Yes, I do listen to loud music but not always. I need to be in a mood for that. As of right now, I am doing good. My hearing is still all there as I actually had a physical done 4 months ago and everything was done just because I work for the Cancer Center.

I should consider getting a set of ear plugs. I am still looking to upgrade those 4 8" midbass to 10" so it will be louder. Ive been looking into a 250 or even 300 amp alternator if that might help my volt issue.

Do you have a goal for your audio system?

Sometimes more is not always the best way or is even needed. I use to design and install car a/v stuff and did a lot of spl challenge competitions in IASCA (International Auto Sound Challenge Association). Creating a front sound stage will give you much better sound that you can enjoy. Notes should hit you from the front and beats hit you from the rear.

I have a very simple system in my car, quality hu which produces good preout volts to sending to an amp, 5.25" components up front, stock rear speakers, 4 channel amp (2 channels powering the front components, rear channels bridged to power a sealed 12" sub). Clear & crisp highs from the front and deep & solid lows from the rear.

If you have an amp, let the amp do all of the frequency handling, leave your headunit with a flat signal.
    Last edited by ctrlraven; 12-23-2014 at 07:36 AM.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

This is my setup for now.

Coming are 4 10" crescendo midbass voice speakers and I'll probably get better subs. As of right now, my midbass over takes the subs. My set up is super crisp and clear.
    My goal is to have it all balanced out correctly. I can keep my rear deck set up as is and just upgrade my subs but I'm really looking into louder. After this, then I am done with my system.

The 5 channel on the right is powering my tweeters and my subs.
    4 channel on the left is powering my 4 8" rear deck and my 2 front door 6".

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post

Really FBM? LOL. Dont scare people. Its just car audio.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Quote Originally Posted by 8UWITH6 View Post
    Not trying to scare anyone.

Maybe you should check this out.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20021487

You should also peruse the thread I referenced to see how many members have it and how they got it.

Once your hearing is damaged it does repair itself.

LOL
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Just car audio? 2200W RMS is an absurd amount of power for a concert hall, nevermind in a tiny enclosure like a car.

Young people may pooh-pooh the idea, but hearing damage is real and frequently doesn't show up until you're older...by then it's too late.

Ask me how I know...or ask Neil Young...Phil Collins...Eric Clapton...Pete Townshend...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

What? Huh? I can't hear you guys. Can you speak up?

You act like people with high end stereo systems listen to them at full volume all the time................

Is your supercharged Marauder at wide open throttle all the time????????????

NOPE.

Just my .02 fellas.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Once again, my dad has been in this game for a long time. He is now 58 and still hears perfectly fine. Loud music at home wnd loud music in his cars. My system is way louder then his but I dont blast it all the time. I assume that it can affect people differently. I know old guys that has been into this music bussiness for years wnd they are fine with there hearing.

But please, lets not start a argument about hearing lose. I am awear and all. I am some what carfull with what I do. This is still not going to stop me from getting my system how I want it. This is my project and it will continue to be until im fully satisfied. So really guys, thank you for your advices.

You act like people with high end stereo systems listen to them at full volume all the time................
    The problem is that above a certain sound pressure level, the damage is cumulative. You don't suddenly go deaf from attending one AC/DC concert, but go to enough of them and I guarantee your hearing won't be the same when you get older.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information