Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power washer?

Power washer?

Does anyone use an electric power washer to clean the crud off the MM? What is a good brand? I see the guys at the car wash using them and they make quick work of bird poo and dirt below the belt line.

Might invest in one if they won't hurt anything.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Limited360 uses one.

If it's good for him it's good for anyone
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

I've been planning on back pedaling to one as I've always owned gas powered ones and I'm tired of storing and maintaining them. I say go for it.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Hi Paula:

Given my pension for overkill.... I have a gasoline powered power washer. I works great, as long as you don't try to remove the paint as well as the poop.

Jim

i used to detail cars for a lot of years, I have never used a power washer. I recommend you get a nice soft wash brush, $20, a bucket and I always use a lot of soap, I take all attachments off the hose end and let the water free flow on the car, its the volume of water that comes out that rinses the car nicely.

Sometimes you have to wash the car twice to really get it nice, then i use one of these to dry the cars

Ive used a power washer before and while it does clean it, it is no comparison to a hand wash. Need to steer clear of paint chips, and pin stripping. Id personally leave the power washers to the off road crowd

twix is the only candy with the cookie crunch.

I'd never use a power washer on the paint... the undercarriage yes.... painted surfaces.. NO!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

03 Black MM: Trilogy #19, Build Date 04/02/03 #7113
    03 SB MM: Lidio Tune/JLT CAI DD Build Date 04/02/03 #7114

I use a cheapie pressure washer as the first step, to get the "big stuff" off before I start with the usual wash routine. Zero issues even on my vehicles with fragile areas, but you do have to use some common sense and I go about it pretty carefully.

Pressure washer is only good for underside of the car and making big messy jobs quick and easy. Is it bad for the paint? That's up for debate as there are factors such as psi of the water, how it's delivered (degree of nozzle) to the paint and how is the paint quality to start with.

Have I used them in the past? Yes. Have the every damaged my paint? No. I've got my paint slick and sealed so stuff like bird poo comes right off with ease using some spray detailer and a microfiber towel. The key is to catch things asap, don't let it baked into the clearcoat.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

I have a 2500 psi gas powered pressure washer and I use it on everything. The electric are usually quite a bit less pressure so they should be no problem. I pretty much have to use one because I live off a clay dirt road and when it rains it cakes on everything. A regular hose with a nozzle does me no good. And yes it works well on the under carriage as well. the only time it has taken any paint off was on a 1990 Buick Century that the paint was coming off anyway.
    2004 DTR Marauder, #423 of 9806
    2004 SB Marauder, SOLD
    2003 Black Marauder, #3029 of 7093
    2003 Black Supercharged Marauder, #1940 of 7093
    2003 DBP Marauder, #225 of 328, SOLD
    2007 Black Shelby GT Terlingua
    2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT 5.0
    2018 Platinum White King Ranch F150 FX4

The ones at the car wash use a wide fan spray. The guy kind of pre washes the car then off we go into the tunnel.

I wish we had the kind of car wash like in NH. The computer measures out the car then just pow-pow-power washes it and dries the car with out moving. We have the long tunnel type that use some sort of towels that jiggle or spin to get the dirt off. They do a so-so job.

Going to look at Lowe's to see what they have.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Denmark View Post
    The ones at the car wash use a wide fan spray. The guy kind of pre washes the car then off we go into the tunnel.

I wish we had the kind of car wash like in NH. The computer measures out the car then just pow-pow-power washes it and dries the car with out moving. We have the long tunnel type that use some sort of towels that jiggle or spin to get the dirt off. They do a so-so job.

Going to look at Lowe's to see what they have.
    The touch car washes are death for paint, think about all the dirt they pick up and hold onto from vehicles before your's, then when the fingers runs across your paint all it does is scratch the clearcoat and leave swirl marks. Touchless washes are good for a rinse off but the paint still needs to be scrubbed to remove the dirt.

I personally use Optimum No Rinse™ Wash & Shine on several of my vehicles. http://www.optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.php

Checkout Rinesless Car Wash

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

I have one of these. 220 volt 3,000 psi 2.5 gallon per minute. Pricey at about $900.00 including tax, but I got tired of trying to start my gas engine powered pressure washer. I use it on the Marauder frequently.

Pressure washers will NOT remove all the dirt and grime film that builds up, but they will remove enough dirt so that the wash mit won't scratch the clear coat. Smearing dirt, mud and sand around on the finish with a wash mit WILL scratch the clear coat. Will pressure washers damage the paint? In my opinion... no they will not, if used at the proper distance of around 12" or more from the paint. They are also great on wheels and tires as well as under the hood. Just use a little common sense.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7872_200347872
    Last edited by Fastbob; 05-12-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

I use one of Karcher prodect I think it's a K2! very good pressure without that amount of water wasted also have a foam lance too.

EATON SWAP ONGOING LIST !!!!!!!!!

Eaton M112 Supercharger
    Intercooler
    Lower intake plenum
    Coolant Intake Manifold
    TB Intake Plenum
    Throttle Body
    Cobra air intake tube
    Accelerator cable bracket
    Fuel rails
    39lb. injectors
    Cobra heat exchanger