Thread: 63 marauder engine

63 marauder engine

Hello, well since I got the marauder going again I've been driving it all the time. The other day I noticed it has a slight tick (about two a second) any idea what that noise could be?

FE's that have been sitting are famous for lifter noise. First thing to do is add some top end lube to the oil and if that doesn't do it, lifters are easy to remove and replace individually. You don't have to remove the 90lb intake. They make a tool that catches the inside of the lifter and you fish it thru the pushrod openings in the head. Hold a broom handle on the exhaust manifold around each cylinder and put your ear to the handle. When you find the lifter you'll know it.
    Former owner of a 2004 DTR MM

We used to add a quart of tranny fluid, Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam to the crankcase (remove a quart of oil first). Drive the car but don't beat on it. The added fluid may cleanup the lifters and stop them from sticking. After your done do a regular oil and filter change.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7189450_cure...uck-valve.html
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I'd run it for a hundred miles.

The tranny fluid, Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil are "detergents" that will cleanup varnish and any gunk inside the engine that may be fouling the lifters.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thanks for the advice! My dad was just over here and he put a broom handle on the valve covers to listen for any noises. He said it's probably just an exhaust leak, which makes sense cause my exhaust pipe is falling off and hanging on the brake cable. Thats my next project. I was thinking flow masters or something like that. I wanna get that nice subtle rumble and then a big roar when I hit the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatality51 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! My dad was just over here and he put a broom handle on the valve covers to listen for any noises. He said it's probably just an exhaust leak, which makes sense cause my exhaust pipe is falling off and hanging on the brake cable. Thats my next project. I was thinking flow masters or something like that. I wanna get that nice subtle rumble and then a big roar when I hit the gas.
    It could be an exhaust leak, but a broom handle on the valve covers won't help you find it. It has to be on the exhaust manifold or the individual exhaust ports on the head.
    Former owner of a 2004 DTR MM

Yea he was just listening for any noises in the valve covers first, he said he didn't think it's anything in the engine. Just gotta get that exaust taken care of.

Thread Information