Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: c b radios

c b radios

hi : i was planning on putting a cb radio in the mm , i was wondering what type of antenna would be the best to use , i dont want to drill any holes in the body to mount the thing . anybody have any good ideas ? thanks
    03 MM stock so far
    1998 mer sable 24 valve v6
    1968 buick electra 225 conv.

I use a magnetic base antenna. I run a hand held unit. What I did was to remove the center child seat anchor from the rear dash, cut the end off the antenna wire, run the wire through the hole, re-attach the connector, and voila. The connector will remain in the little compartment when not in use. I store the antenna in the trunk when not in use. I can get some reception with it in the trunk, but the range is poor. You could also use one of the side child seat anchors, and run the cable under the C-pillar and door trim up to the dash if you plan on a permanent mount.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

hitchhiker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T. Casey
    I use a magnetic base antenna. I run a hand held unit. What I did was to remove the center child seat anchor from the rear dash, cut the end off the antenna wire, run the wire through the hole, re-attach the connector, and voila. The connector will remain in the little compartment when not in use. I store the antenna in the trunk when not in use. I can get some reception with it in the trunk, but the range is poor. You could also use one of the side child seat anchors, and run the cable under the C-pillar and door trim up to the dash if you plan on a permanent mount.
    I use a Wilson 5000 magnet mount with my Ranger RCI-2970 10-11 meter radio. It works well.

For those who don't know: 11 meter band is the old 27 MHZ CB

Check on ebay for both stock and modded radio equipment and the Wilson 5000 antennas!

The k-40's are not even in the same league as Wilsons.

I know, my vehicle has been mistaken for a base station on many occasions.

Note: Use large wire (10-gague) for your power and ground connections. Ground your radio to the vehicle chassis with grounding braid and put grounding braid straps on the hood and truck lid to make the entire top surface of your vehicle an acceptable ground plane.

Output in radio is 90% antenna and 10% radio/amplifier

If you have a Ranchero, like one of mine, a heavy duty ball bount 1/4 wave
    steel whip attached to the rear bulkhead is perfect; right in the center of the vehicle with no exposed coax.

Best Regards,

David (Hitchhiker)
    Last edited by hitchhiker; 05-05-2004 at 10:27 AM.

No matter what you do a magnet mount will scratch the plate. Caution is advised.

NBCShooter has a scanner in his MM (I think). Maybe he will chime in or you could ask him what he did for an antennae.

Best,

Dan

Use a trunk lip mount with a K-40. The Wilson 1000 I use is an older model that was made well. Wilson has since gone down the crapper in the K-40 is the only way to go for high power applications. Don't buy a new Wilson. As far as radios, buy one that can be easily modded at any truck stop. The Uniden bearcat series, Cobra, and Galaxy.

I have a heavily modded Uniden that comes in very handy for reaching out 20 miles and stomping phones and tv's....
    2017 Niro

How did you mod it, via an amp or just some other means?

Best,

Dan

I've got two types of antennas installed. I have a k-40 magnetic mount with additional covering of the magnet base. The other is a thru the glass unit, which is being used now. I don't particularily like it as I think the range sucks. I'm running a Cobra radio, unmodified. Also have a one-hander unit, but don't like it as much as the Cobra unit.

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Angry Very Bad

STOP SUGGESTING THAT PEOPLE "MOD" CBs AND USE FREQUENCIES THEY HAVE NO RIGHT OR LICENSE TO USE. I love you guys, but I am a licensed Amaeur radio op (ham) and it pisses me off to hear you crapping around with garbage-sounding splash-boxes and breaking federal laws by using illeagal power and frequencies.

Shame on you Hitchhiker!!!!, I expect more from you.
    I hope no FCC folks read this board or Riley Holingsworth will be paying you a visit. (he is their legal shark)

Try buying a LEGAL radio and sticking with it "as is".
    "Modualtion changes"...HAHAHAHA....you can screw with your audio input chain all you want, it will NEVER get you anything more than loud and distorted. Power comes from the finals, PERIOD. Want more power, you need a real radio or a linear. Illeagal/black-market amps S#CK!!!!
    They are almost always cheap/poorly built and of very slack design.
    Oh, and they still have very poor output considering their required input supply power.
    Last edited by gja; 05-05-2004 at 03:49 AM.
    ============================== ===
    Forget directions, I need to file a flight plan
    ============================== ===

linear

gia ,you say you need real power,like aftermarket amp. I have a cobra 29 classic ltd bought in the 80's and a bulldog 600 watt amp. Sounds and works good in the Peterbilt.

Re. Magnetic mounts. To avoid the scratch problem, I super glued a piece of felt to the bottom of the base. It seems to have worked so far. The only scratch I have is when I dropped the thing once. I haven't found a solution for clumsiness.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Wow! Amazing to read several admissions of federal law violations. I am surprised you guys haven't considered becoming licensed amateur radio operators and join in the real fun. So many more opportunities as a HAM and you stay legal too. You won't regret it.
    Sactown

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    No matter what you do a magnet mount will scratch the plate. Caution is advised.
    Speaking from experiance, you are 100% correct. (OUNCH!)

03 Marauder 300A, 6 CD Changer, tint, SS Inserts, McGard wheel locks, Full Stainless Works 3 inch exaust and long tube headers, DynoTech MMX driveshaft, Spoiler, Full godshead treatment, Mack & Marty fender badges, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, 4.10's, FIT/ProCharger Racing Team Member #019(Mine)
    04 DTR Cd Changer, moon roof, heated seats, trunk organizor, McGard wheel locks,
    SS Inserts, Spoiler, tint, godshead stearing wheel badge, Badgless Grill & trunk, Densos & 180 t-stat, Megs Resonator Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40's, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, Superchips 9100 SCT tuner, JTL CAI, and 4.10's. (hers)
    67 Galaxie 500
    96 F250 EXT Cab 4X4 Pwerstroke
    2013 Lowe SS210
    98 Mustang convertible
    2005 Sportcoach Cross Country 376DS

People still use CBs? I'm surprised. I figured everyone would just use their cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    People still use CBs? I'm surprised. I figured everyone would just use their cell phone.
    CB is more reliable than SOME celular providers, and a lot more reliable than the AM/FM for current traffic conditions :wink wink: in rural areas.

03 Marauder 300A, 6 CD Changer, tint, SS Inserts, McGard wheel locks, Full Stainless Works 3 inch exaust and long tube headers, DynoTech MMX driveshaft, Spoiler, Full godshead treatment, Mack & Marty fender badges, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, 4.10's, FIT/ProCharger Racing Team Member #019(Mine)
    04 DTR Cd Changer, moon roof, heated seats, trunk organizor, McGard wheel locks,
    SS Inserts, Spoiler, tint, godshead stearing wheel badge, Badgless Grill & trunk, Densos & 180 t-stat, Megs Resonator Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40's, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, Superchips 9100 SCT tuner, JTL CAI, and 4.10's. (hers)
    67 Galaxie 500
    96 F250 EXT Cab 4X4 Pwerstroke
    2013 Lowe SS210
    98 Mustang convertible
    2005 Sportcoach Cross Country 376DS

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by teamrope
    CB is more reliable than SOME celular providers, and a lot more reliable than the AM/FM for current traffic conditions :wink wink: in rural areas.
    Wink Wink heck!! I have a CB in my unmarked patrol car, and if I am every uncertain of my location, all I have do is ask....they know where I am better than I do! LOL

But you are correct, they are very nice for those long, possibly highspeed runs , better than a radar detector!

Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information