Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: German mini meet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    PM MM03MOK about setting up a European sub-forum. I'm sure she would be happy to do it.
    I've PM'ed her, let's see what happens.

2003 Black 300A Dark Charcoal, #499 of 6978 built 06/04/02
    3.88 gears, dual fuel propane conversion.
    2003 Silver 300B Light Flint, #166 of 417 built 04/22/03
    TCE/Wilwood big brake kit, SW headers and cats, Flowmaster mufflers
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series Touring Sedan
    Dual exhaust, dual fuel propane conversion
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Sport Package
    Holden HSV GTS body kit, dual fuel propane conversion
    Previously: 2003 Audi A6 Avant | 1999 Ford Fairlane AU

My vacation in Germany

The attached spreadsheet is a day by day of the trip.

The weekend we are in Cologne, our family friend is taking us to his parents house for a BBQ, American style.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by jsignorelli View Post

The weekend we are in Cologne, our family friend is taking us to his parents house for a BBQ, American style.
    Looks like a great trip. I am sure that you will enjoy the KD Cruise up the Middle Rhein.http://www.kdrhine.com/ You will probably actually depart from Mainz on the Rhein. Frankfurt is on the Main River (i.e. Frankfurt am Main). You will pass lots of castles overlooking the river including the famous Lorelei Rock. My wife and I spent our 18th Anniversary in a suite at Burg Rheinfels http://www.schloss-rheinfels.net/ overlooking the town of St. Goar. Absolutely beautiful. We've taken the cruise up the river several times and returned to our starting point by train that runs up-down the side of the river.

We lived in Germany for 6 years on two different occasions. First in 1975-1978 and then again in 1986-1989. Saw lots of the sites that you will visit including Nuremberg (Christkindl Markt), Neuschwanstein (King Ludwig's castle) http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/ , Rothenburg ob der Tauber (Medieval Walled City) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber and the Black Forest. We lived in Heidelberg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg for 3 years on our last tour ... courtesy of the US Army. Our oldest son was born in Germany.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

BTW -- Paderborn is about 60 miles from Dusseldorf. You may be able to arrange a meeting with MGDriver if you are there for any amount of time on the evening of Tuesday, 4 Aug.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 07-01-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post

We lived in Heidelberg for 3 years on our last tour ... courtesy of the US Army.

BTW -- Paderborn is about 60 miles from Dusseldorf. You may be able to arrange a meeting with MGDriver if you are there for any amount of time on the evening of Tuesday, 4 Aug.
    Heidelberg? I know that place well since we've got family there and I always loved visiting them as a kid because we would see all those American cars from US military staff around. Something you don't get to see in my area, we have the British Army in Paderborn and they don't drive interesting cars.

Paderborn is also 100 miles from Cologne so I wouldn't mind taking the drive down there to meet up, easy to do for a day trip on the weekend.

Too bad, at the Berlin time i already started my holidays and so i'm out of the city else i'd said 'Welcome to Berlin'. Enjoy your trip!

Our family friends live in Obererbach. They are planning to pick Joanne & I up at the Marriott in Cologne on the Saturday (Aug 15th) for the drive on the Autobahn to their home.
    I let them drive my 1993 Mustang (750 HP) on Route 80 in New Jersey last fall. That is our version of the Autobahn on the east coast. They feel obligated to return the favor.

Interstate 40 between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon is the real deal... NO SPEED LIMIT!
    The signs on Route 40 read: "What ever the weather permits"

I was doing 125 MPH in a rented Shelby Mustang, and cars were passing me.

Had to look it up but apparently Obererbach is about 60 miles south east of Cologne and you'll be taking the Autobahn A3 down there which has me hoping you can actually get to enjoy the drive because the A3 is the main connector between Cologne and Frankfurt and can be rampacked full at times. If you would like to meet up with me I suggest we do it in Cologne because Obererbach is further for me, you can PM me to discuss this further.

I didn't know there were places left with no speed limit in the States, I remember back in the day the state of Montana didn't have speed limits on their highways. I usually set my cruise at 100 mph, this has proven to be a good compromise between fuel consumption and covered distance in the Marauder. Fastest I've ever done with it was 140 mph and at that speed you can litterally watch the fuel gauge move. These days most German cars are electronically limited to 155 mph so I can't quite outrun them but it's still fun to watch the faces of the ignorant Audi/Benz/BMW drivers who occasionally cut me off thinking I'm a slow yank tank anyway but I stay right on their tail as they try to pull away.

Quote Originally Posted by MGDriver View Post
    Heidelberg? I know that place well since we've got family there and I always loved visiting them as a kid because we would see all those American cars from US military staff around.
    Not much of a US presence in the Heidelberg area anymore. The US Garrison and Military Community there officially closed in September 2013. Many of the facilities have been turned back to the German government or commercial entities. All of the turn-back activities should be completed by the end of 2015.

My family and I really enjoyed living there. It was also a great location for heading out to other destinations in the north, south, east or west and had great connections to the Autobahns. I lived about 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) from the Hockenheim Ring as the crow flies. Close enough to hear Formula 1 and motorcycle racing on some weekends.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Please note: NEW FORUM - EUROPEAN MARAUDERS!!

Blog Entries
    Very Cool. !

the American autobahn

This is what I allowed our friend Jonas to drive on Rt 80 from the George Washington Bridge to the Delaware Water Gap. He did the posted speed for most of the trip... 80
    All those Blue and White signs with the big 80 on them reminded you of the speed limit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    My family and I really enjoyed living there. It was also a great location for heading out to other destinations in the north, south, east or west and had great connections to the Autobahns. I lived about 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) from the Hockenheim Ring as the crow flies. Close enough to hear Formula 1 and motorcycle racing on some weekends.
    Heidelberg is a beautiful area but very expensive to live in, probably not so much for you military folks but certainly for the locals. I seem it recall it was ranked amongst the top 10 places with the highest costs of living in Germany. My relatives had to sell their beautiful family home on a hillside in Ziegelhausen and move into an apartment complex a few years ago because they couldn't afford the upkeep anymore. I was sad to see it go as I always loved it there, had a wonderful view over the Neckar river.
    I live in the middle of nowhere, my area is boring but living is cheap so I can afford driving a big American land yacht, try that in Heidelberg insurance will kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by MM03MOK View Post
    Please note: NEW FORUM - EUROPEAN MARAUDERS!!

Eurorauders representing!

This is what I allowed our friend Jonas to drive on Rt 80 from the George Washington Bridge to the Delaware Water Gap. He did the posted speed for most of the trip... 80
    All those Blue and White signs with the big 80 on them reminded you of the speed limit.
    Nice Fox! I used to have a New Edge before the Marauder, 2004 GT 40th Anniversary and that thing was fast, had it up to 160 mph before.

Nice ride

Ford has been running driving events at all of the major shows. You get to drive the 2015 GT, if you know how to drive stick. Otherwise, the sales rep drives, and you hang on for dear life.

I love the color of your car. What is the name? I have a 2010 Sport Fusion in Sangria Red (factory name for the color).

Quote Originally Posted by MGDriver View Post
    I usually set my cruise at 100 mph, this has proven to be a good compromise between fuel consumption and covered distance in the Marauder. Fastest I've ever done with it was 140 mph and at that speed you can litterally watch the fuel gauge move.
    Yep. It feels comfortable till 110 mph, after that it get's noisy and the factory suspension reach it's limit. Surprisingly till 100 mph the fuel consumption doesn't increase much.

I have all of my high performance cars dyno tuned for 80 MPH. The gas consumption is fantastic at 70-75 MPH and then starts to fall of above 80 and below 50.
    The '93 has 750 HP so dyno tuning is a must, and I'll get 25 MPG.
    The Marauder was dyno tuned with 425 HP and gets 25 MPG, if I maintain 70 MPH.
    The 70 Boss 302 is a pig. All I can squeeze out of her with dyno tuning is 15-18 MPG. It is those damn carburetors.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information