Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Car hit at gas station

sorry to hear about your bad luck. some may disagree but I have been in the collision industry for about 18 years and by the time you remove the driver door to skin it, disassemble rear door to prep and paint (remove molding , handle and glass and all trim to avoid any paint delamination issues later) prep fender and remove molding as well(the door moldings will deform if not removed carefully and will be junk
    so those would go on the estimate along with any clips that break) even though some shops and the ins company may try to tell you that all this work is not necessary because it is a black car. well there are several different types of black and unless you blend the adjacent panels, you can tell. my guesstimate is about $2000 or so. most shops are willing to work with you a little as far as the deductible goes if the job is large enough or the deductible small enough. do not let anyone tell you that it does not take these steps to return your car to pre accident condition, because to me that means not being able to tell it was ever fixed. if you end up for some godforsaken reason paying out of pocket, a good metal man could prob straighten out that door without having to skin it but they are few and far between. I hope this was more helpful than not, I just don't want anyone to try to screw you when it's time to fix your marauder. especially since it was due to a non-driver. good luck with the whole deal. dave

Quote Originally Posted by djcrook73 View Post
    sorry to hear about your bad luck. some may disagree but I have been in the collision industry for about 18 years and by the time you remove the driver door to skin it, disassemble rear door to prep and paint (remove molding , handle and glass and all trim to avoid any paint delamination issues later) prep fender and remove molding as well(the door moldings will deform if not removed carefully and will be junk
    so those would go on the estimate along with any clips that break) even though some shops and the ins company may try to tell you that all this work is not necessary because it is a black car. well there are several different types of black and unless you blend the adjacent panels, you can tell. my guesstimate is about $2000 or so. most shops are willing to work with you a little as far as the deductible goes if the job is large enough or the deductible small enough. do not let anyone tell you that it does not take these steps to return your car to pre accident condition, because to me that means not being able to tell it was ever fixed. if you end up for some godforsaken reason paying out of pocket, a good metal man could prob straighten out that door without having to skin it but they are few and far between. I hope this was more helpful than not, I just don't want anyone to try to screw you when it's time to fix your marauder. especially since it was due to a non-driver. good luck with the whole deal. dave
    I try to tell members in a similar way as you did about the real world of repairing our cars after a collision, I mostly feel like I'm wasting my breath.

yeah blackvegas I figure it could be helpful info for all. years back, someone hit one of my cars once and tried to have "his guy" fix it and it would have been hacked to suit someone else's budget. needless to say, I fixed it myself at the shop I worked for at the time and told him to screw himself. insurance companies basically try the same stuff with their referral shops. in my state we have the right to go only to the shop we choose which is only fair.

I hope everything works out for you OP. My experience with progressive is very poor, they will do whatever they can to dirtbag you and save every penny they can. As others have mentioned, file a claim with the at faults insurance, make sure you explain clearly, that your car was never moving and that they drove into your stopped car.

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    I think I'm going to cancel my Progressive. What other companies do you all suggest? I got a letter from them that said the accident fell under my deductible so I have to pay for the repairs. I thought since the guy backed into my stopped car (that he should have used his rearview mirror before backing out, you think yes?) that I shouldn't have to pay anything, no?
    On private property, if your vehicle is not moving, and their vehicle collides with yours, it is 100% their fault. Your insurance should not be involved unless the other party is claiming that you are at fault or responsible for damages.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Was he not given a ticket?

Builder Of Badassery
    Not sure about the laws in Nevada where this occurred, but in my home state unless it is reckless driving you can not be cited for a traffic law that was broken on private property.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Last year, my Fusion was parked in front of a friends home (we were visiting for dinner). Her neighbor across the street backed out of his driveway and crunched the drivers door. I called the police because I wanted a full report for HIS insurance company. As I was not in the car, he was completely on the hook for all of the repairs. His insurance company paid, in full, and there was no negotiating with them. In New Jersey, we have NO Fault, but only when you are both driving. Parked cars, and cars where the driver is out of the car, does not fall into the No Fault exclusion.
    CONTACT HIS INSURANCE COMPANY!

Quote Originally Posted by 03blackvegas View Post
    I try to tell members in a similar way as you did about the real world of repairing our cars after a collision, I mostly feel like I'm wasting my breath.
    Your not wasting your breath... some people just don't listen.......
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I did call the other insurance company and they gave me a claim number and said they would get back to me. I have heard back from them since.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

I did call the other insurance company and they gave me a claim number and said they would get back to me. I have heard back from them since.
    Call them again, and again, then talk to management and threaten to talk to AG. Then call AG if no response.
    Former owner of a 2004 DTR MM

You tried to tell me when my car was hit 366 days ago that it would never be the same. And you where correct. It turned out better than it was pre accident despite your "real world" approach.

I had to fight hard with the insurance company of the person that hit me. But the variable that remained constant throughout the entire ordeal was my BODY SHOP I chose. The Body Shop I used is the best in town here and did not take any crap from anyone, fixed my car the way they knew I wanted it fixed and did not cut corners no matter what. They also helped guide me when things almost came to a halt on the supplement stages.

To the original poster be persistent. To the point you think they will stop answering emails and phone calls. Keep contacting the person whom hit you and ask them for updates. The minute you let your guard down they are going to take advantage of you. Good luck sorry for rant. I cannot even begin to explain what I went through to get my car repaired correctly last year.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

In a roundabout way, you proved my point. I'm glad to hear the job came out to your satisfaction.

In a roundabout way, you proved my point. I'm glad to hear the job came out to your satisfaction.
    Yes, yes I did. Gotta fight for what you care about. Period.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

I never did hear back from the other guys insurance so I started to call them again a few months ago. Finally got a hold of a number of people who finally started calling me back. They wanted me to get another estimate and they are even going to give me a rental car while my car is worked on. I went back to Service King but they said they are all booked. I went to another body shop and they are wanting to replace the door skin etc. Its all the same to me since the other guys insurance is finally going to pay for this. I'll update everyone on how it looks when they are done. They have decent reviews on Yelp.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Blog Entries
    Yes, always get a police report. Always take pics unless you are at fault then no bloody pics of the other person.

Unless you can't due to a No Fault State always always file against the at fault persons insurance.
    In most places if they are at fault they are required to put you back exactly the way you were before the accident. This includes possibly paying for things your insurance does not cover.

Why should my insurance pay for some idiots negligent actions?
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

I never did hear back from the other guys insurance so I started to call them again a few months ago. Finally got a hold of a number of people who finally started calling me back. They wanted me to get another estimate and they are even going to give me a rental car while my car is worked on. I went back to Service King but they said they are all booked. I went to another body shop and they are wanting to replace the door skin etc. Its all the same to me since the other guys insurance is finally going to pay for this. I'll update everyone on how it looks when they are done. They have decent reviews on Yelp.
    KEEP FIGHTING

And remember there are statutes where they MUST settle the claim in "X" amount of time. When I was a kid--it was 1 year. And after an accident, the insurance company tried to screw me for 360 days (I had told them I wouldn't settle for a screwing--and simply bought another car while I waited -- it was a POS btw), they finally paid everything I had asked for- and more -as if they didn't, the penalties were extreme for them.

I sold the absolute POS for what I paid for it, and found a 1960 OSCA... Those were the days...

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Blog Entries
    I believe in most states they have to make an offer within 60 days of proof of loss being filed.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump