Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension

Suspension

Gentlemen,
    My first post. I've owned my MM since, April of 12. It has mostly sat, I've put five thousand miles on the car, it has 79,000 now. I've done all the routine stuff to satisfy myself that every is working is it should. I'm ready to take the next steps to improve performance. First I don't like the way the car sets. This winter I would like to address the suspension front and rear. I've replaced the air compressor and control module. Still I don't like the way it sets or handles. I'm asking advice.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Control arms, watts link , Addco sway bars will all help with handling. What part if the look the way it sits don't you like? Can cut a coil , lower the rear air.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

A lot depends on how much you have to spend. At 80K miles you could well need worn parts replaced so a full front end rebuild may be in order. I rebuilt mine at 90K when it started to twitch when I hit the brakes.

Addco sway bars are a good start once the slop is removed, I prefer the lighter hollow bars but they cost more (I'll be selling my Addco rear bar in a month, BTW). Install SPC camber adjustment bolts during the front end rebuild. Align to 0 toe and -0.5 degree camber.

The Metco Watts link is big help for the rear tail wag. Metco rear control arms help also, but there will be some increase in suspension bind and decrease in ride quality. Not huge, but be aware.

For shocks the cheap solution is the stiffer version KYB. However, be aware that you can't increase the spring rate with these shocks. And cutting a coil from the front spring increases the rate.

If you have more cash to improve handling Penske (and now a new company called GRI as well) have some excellent shocks that can be valved for your car. This will also allow you to increase the spring rate in the front, which these cars can really use. This is much more expensive, as if all the other stuff wasn't costly enough.

These cars can handle waaaayyyy better than they do from the factory.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    A lot depends on how much you have to spend. At 80K miles you could well need worn parts replaced so a full front end rebuild may be in order. I rebuilt mine at 90K when it started to twitch when I hit the brakes.

Addco sway bars are a good start once the slop is removed, I prefer the lighter hollow bars but they cost more (I'll be selling my Addco rear bar in a month, BTW). Install SPC camber adjustment bolts during the front end rebuild. Align to 0 toe and -0.5 degree camber.

The Metco Watts link is big help for the rear tail wag. Metco rear control arms help also, but there will be some increase in suspension bind and decrease in ride quality. Not huge, but be aware.

For shocks the cheap solution is the stiffer version KYB. However, be aware that you can't increase the spring rate with these shocks. And cutting a coil from the front spring increases the rate.

If you have more cash to improve handling Penske (and now a new company called GRI as well) have some excellent shocks that can be valved for your car. This will also allow you to increase the spring rate in the front, which these cars can really use. This is much more expensive, as if all the other stuff wasn't costly enough.

Thanks, the rear was where I plan to start this winter. It's almost winter here in Indiana. The car is covered for the season. I'm sourcing parts now. I have to open a PayPal account to expedite purchasing. The front end I will leave until spring so I can drive the car, and make adjustments. Money, I don't have any to waste, so I will go slow.

Thanks

I'm interested in your rear sway bar. What is your asking price? Again I will setup a PayPal account. I will find out how it's done, I think I have to have one to buy or sale.

How would GRI know the proper valving & spring rate for our car ?
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Maybe he meant JRi..but I didn't see anything off their shelf designed for ford other than mustang, but they do have the technology to build something I would imagine..but it would be custom.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Yes, JRI was started by Penske engineers. It is all custom, just give them an old shock for dimensions and a known working shock dyno plot.

Nothing good off-the-shelf for panthers.
    Lifespeed

Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Here is one full cut coil in the front and the rear dropped about an inch. The rear control arm bushing do wear out and aftermarket ones bolt right in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Yes, JRI was started by Penske engineers. It is all custom, just give them an old shock for dimensions and a known working shock dyno plot.

Nothing good off-the-shelf for panthers.
    Thats simply not true , QA1 shocks work extremely well on Marauders, most who had issues also had their cars dropped in the weeds! Stock ride height shocks are not going to work properly on a car 2-3" below spec.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    Thats simply not true , QA1 shocks work extremely well on Marauders, most who had issues also had their cars dropped in the weeds! Stock ride height shocks are not going to work properly on a car 2-3" below spec.
    You can tell them you're going to lower the car, they'll shorten the shock of course.

I have never used QA1. Most who have hated them, lots of posts here about them.
    Lifespeed

You can tell them you're going to lower the car, they'll shorten the shock of course.

I have never used QA1. Most who have hated them, lots of posts here about them.
    I'll admit i was skeptical, i bought a set for the rear , and I can tell they are some of the best shocks you can buy , and are fully rebuildable, I'll be buying a front set from NAKKE, I'll upgrade to a 500lb spring from the standard 450lb spring.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

I'll admit i was skeptical, i bought a set for the rear , and I can tell they are some of the best shocks you can buy , and are fully rebuildable, I'll be buying a front set from NAKKE, I'll upgrade to a 500lb spring from the standard 450lb spring.
    I would consider closer to 600lbs if they can valve it appropriately. You already have stiff enough tires.
    Lifespeed

I would consider closer to 600lbs if they can valve it appropriately. You already have stiff enough tires.
    I asked he said one Marauder owner went with a 550lb spring, and said it rode like a cattle truck, I definitely want a firmer spring rate versus too soft, I'll inquire again before ordering , these will be the 18 position single adjustable shocks.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

I asked he said one Marauder owner went with a 550lb spring, and said it rode like a cattle truck, I definitely want a firmer spring rate versus too soft, I'll inquire again before ordering , these will be the 18 position single adjustable shocks.
    That indicates the shock valving was wrong, no cattle truck ride here. With the coilovers in front l could easily change spring rates using standard parts, but 600lbs feels pretty good.

Edit: l could not imagine shock tuning limited to single adjust, that would be difficult or impossible to get where you want to be.
    Last edited by lifespeed; 10-03-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    Lifespeed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information