Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: component speakers or coaxial?

component speakers or coaxial?

I am buying a new headunit and door speakers. The headunit is a Sony MEX XB100BT which has 40x4 RMS. I am debating on purchasing a set of components. I have installed stereo equipment in every vehicle I've owned but have never used components. I will not ever add an amp for my speakers but I do have a 12 inch sub with amp that I will install. So here is my question:

Will I notice much of a difference running a set of components with 40 watts over a 3 way coaxial? The component will probably have a watt range of 8-100 rms.....same for the coaxial.

Components have a better crossover network but untrained ears will never notice. The door speaker height is a contributory factor in speaker location. If your coaxials have a tweeter that can be rotated make sure it's as high and rearward as possible, same with components. If possible, mount the component tweeter as coaxially centered as possible to the midbass driver. The soundstage would be considered to be where the rearview mirror is. You're not going for SQ or a perfect soundstage so use what fits but don't cheap out.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Unless you are going to put an amp on the new door speakers, stick with stock.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    Unless you are going to put an amp on the new door speakers, stick with stock.
    The stock door speakers are complete garbage (to me).... Super thin paper cones with a built in "tweeter" which lacks a lot in the high end.

I used to run all 6X8 Components from Kicker that sound much better then their coaxial counterparts. You really only notice the difference when the volume up past 60-70%. The little capacitors they use on coaxial speakers for the "crossover" do not work well when the volume is turned up. Components usually have their own dedicated crossover that can be customized depending on which brand you buy. This also adds a bit more complexity to the install now that you have to mount an extra component versus plug-and-play with co-axials.

I now have Kicker 5" Components in the front with the tweeters mounted in the door panel itself running off a separate amp and the Kicker 6X8 components in the rear running off the head unit.

Everybody's sound tastes are different so you can install the head unit first and see how it sounds. You may be satisfied with the stock speakers with the aftermarket head unit

I'm definitely not sticking to stock speakers. This headunit will be feeding them 40 watts of continuous power. Most headunits push 15-22 watts. Most of my music will be played through my phone....iTunes. I like it to sound good and clear but I am not sure if I would notice a huge difference with components...especially since they will only have 40 watts to them vs 75-100 that an amp would feed.

If you are not running an amplifier of any kind to the speakers then buy any aftermarket coax speaker you want because it doesnt matter much which ones you go with. If you truly want to improve the sound quality and power handling buy an amplifier and run components. You wont be disappointed. And you probably will not even need rear speakers if you go that route.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

I went with JL Components and JL 4 channel on them. Upgraded my rears to 6x9. Seperate amp for my subs
    2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

Quote Originally Posted by JBeezy View Post
    I went with JL Components and JL 4 channel on them. Upgraded my rears to 6x9. Seperate amp for my subs
    What size mid range did you put in the doors? I know it has 6x8/5x7 holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Davco View Post
    What size mid range did you put in the doors? I know it has 6x8/5x7 holes.
    I installed Infinity Reference 6832cf all around. The location of the tweeter is not ideal in the doors but the setup is much better than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Esilar View Post
    I installed Infinity Reference 6832cf all around. The location of the tweeter is not ideal in the doors but the setup is much better than stock.
    I installed the same and added tweeters to the interior rearview mirror covers.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Esilar View Post
    I've been looking at that speaker because crutchfield has it on sale for $70/pair. I had an older version in my old explorer and was pleased. According to crutchfield these speakers don't fit up front because of the mounting depth. Did you guys have any trouble?

Fastblackmerc, did you just install some crossovers to separate the frequencies between the door coaxial and the tweeters?

Just an fyi Crutchfield is usually the most expensive place to buy anything car audio

Quote Originally Posted by jwibbity View Post
    Just an fyi Crutchfield is usually the most expensive place to buy anything car audio
    True, but they have the best service and tech support that there is. Catch something on sale and Crutchfield is very competitive.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Infinity Reference 6832cf are 2 ohm impedance and may not be compatible with the Sony head unit you are looking at. The Sony head unit is power output rated at 4 ohms. Using a 2 ohm speaker on a 4 ohm unit may damage the amplifier especially at high volumes.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Davco View Post
    I've been looking at that speaker because crutchfield has it on sale for $70/pair. I had an older version in my old explorer and was pleased. According to crutchfield these speakers don't fit up front because of the mounting depth. Did you guys have any trouble?

Fastblackmerc, did you just install some crossovers to separate the frequencies between the door coaxial and the tweeters?
    Had no problems installing them in the doors. Yes there are crossovers installed for each tweeter. I'll see if I have a picture.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information