Thread: bad idle??

bad idle??

just bought my 2nd mm after totaling my 1st.2004 drives good seems to have nice power. has new alt, iac put my old maf and new cops off my 2003, plugs looked good, has cai and liddo tune, jmod, cooling mod. when at idle the car runs about 700rpm and i can feel through the brakes like it has a miss. no engine light or anything exhaust sounds like crap pop..pop..pop..pop. does have a little smell to it. i can watch it idle around 800+ and it will all of the sudden drop a couple hundred and the lights start pulsing along with the miss. any ideals??

what maf? maybe the lidio tune is for a stock maf if yours is larger
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

i changed it to my 2003 one because it was sounding bad but it seemed to help a little but not much. it was the same part number except for the bottom 4 characters. one i took off had 2L13 and the one i put on had 1f12

appears to be another stock MAF..make sure maf connection is fully seated, make sure no loose connections on the air tube/cai. unmetered air will cause poor running. Are your plugs gapped to the correct size? out of the box is not correct, they have to be checked and gapped .052-.056 per manual

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

he had the factory air box on it when i brought it home and it was missing so i ***** my wrecked one and put the k&n on it. yea everything is tight. he said he had recently changed the plugs and seemed knowledgeable about the cars since he did most of the mods so i didnt recheck the gap. it had a little oil in the front passenger sparkplug hole? seems as soon as i give it a small amount of throttle (around 850-900) it cleans up and runs good? wondering about the cats? i cut the fronts off my last one

its the rear cats that can be removed without a CEL since they are not monitored. I would also check for vacuum leaks. not all issues will throw a CEL but still stores a code if you have access to a code reader.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

hmm maybe it was the rear ones i removed? i have the sct tuner he gave me. played with it last night and put the 93 tune back on the car (had a 91) can i go in and change the idle in it up a 100rpm or so not to familiar with it? i think i will change the fuel filter today and see if that helps, should i put it back stock or do the bigger one like i did on my 03 (cant remember the part number)

Make sure you have and run 93 in the tank when changing it.

Nothing wrong with the bigger fuel filter mod. watch the clips, they break easily. I'm not sure of the parameters of the SCT for idle. I let my tuner mess with mine or advise me. It woud be better to find the problem, rather than mask it with a bump in idle in my opinion.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

but the tuner would show store a code? where would be a good starting place to look for a vacuum leak the intake lol(not really funny). just do the carb cleaner spray search

not all tuners show codes, not sure which sct you have and the parameters of it. I wouldn't use carb cleaner as it will eat paint..use starting fluid if you are going to use the old timers method. vacuum leaks are usually a visual check of lines as they get old and brittle and crack at connections etc.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by truegraw View Post
    he had the factory air box on it when i brought it home and it was missing so i ***** my wrecked one and put the k&n on it. yea everything is tight. he said he had recently changed the plugs and seemed knowledgeable about the cars since he did most of the mods so i didnt recheck the gap. it had a little oil in the front passenger sparkplug hole? seems as soon as i give it a small amount of throttle (around 850-900) it cleans up and runs good? wondering about the cats? i cut the fronts off my last one
    Oil or water in the spark plug well will cause a misfire, and won't necessarily throw a code. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Oil or water in the spark plug well will cause a misfire, and won't necessarily throw a code. Ask me how I know.
    Oil in a spark plug well won't cause a misfire but water sure will!!
    No Marauder

ill look and see tomorrow if the scanner shows any. the car seems to run strong and idles decent when cold just when warm it kinda gets tractor sounding at idle and smelling like burnt fireworks from exhaust, swear i think its the cats. Also just noticed (had tc off) at around 100mph and a good firm slow down i felt the abs through the brake pedal?? never felt it on my 03?

Thread Information