Thread: Air bags

Air bags

Do any body have rear strut bags for mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OEM avail thru tascaparts.com or aftermarket Arnott or Suncore

They are air springs, not struts
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Air bags

Want to avoid a new thread on the same subject.

I did the research on the options based on this same info posted the other day; hate to spend the $ but think I'm going to stick with the OEM parts to fix my constantly refilling bags.

More important to me is to know why they failed now. Assume the bags get more stretched out if the back of the car is on stands? Don't want to stress them again.

Other than the car sitting for two weeks I can't think of another reason for them to start leaking right after this work. Maybe just old and
    coincidence, but doubtful.

I think I found a GM how-to video on replacing these. Would it be the same for a MM and do I need a lift?

Thanks.

Last edited by Svashtar; 08-02-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

turn OFF rear suspension when jacking up rear of car...always
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    What^^^ said. Air suspension 101, crazy thing is most of the lube shops don't even know that

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Mine drop within 5 minutes of parking. Why not? It's only been garaged since new and just turned 49K miles. Oh well I believe the Arnott ones are the ticket but the heavy duty limo version is what's required. Less than $300 with new bags and solenoids delivered! That's a steal.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post

I know, I know. $h@(, my bad. I really thought the only reason to turn off the switch in most cases was to prevent the compressor from kicking in so it didn't shift the car while someone was under it.

When I backed it up on ramps I turned it off, and when up on both jackstands later it was off, but I had each rear by itself up, one for several hours while I fought a stuck rotor.

I swear I never heard it try to fill, but something got buggered. Drives fine, but compressor kicks in every 7-8 minutes.

114k, had to do them eventually, but I try not to help things along.
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Air bags

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    Mine drop within 5 minutes of parking. Why not? It's only been garaged since new and just turned 49K miles. Oh well I believe the Arnott ones are the ticket but the heavy duty limo version is what's required. Less than $300 with new bags and solenoids delivered! That's a steal.

Man, you got boned there if they're failing at 49K. Has to be age obviously not miles.

Is that what you're going with, the Arnott's? I want to check out the other ones RCR mentioned as well. Suncore IIRC.

Are you sure the HD limo ones are needed, and the standard ones won't work? Let me look into those; that's half the OEM. Good or bad I'd like to keep the air instead of steel springs.

Now, if someone can please give me an idea on the install? And I'll go away for a while (at least for a day...)
    ----

Please disregard; I see Arnott has install instructions. I'll figure it out, thanks!
    Last edited by Svashtar; 08-02-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    I really thought the only reason to turn off the switch in most cases was to prevent the compressor from kicking in so it didn't shift the car while someone was under it.
    That is actually the correct reason. Leaving the switch on while jacking won't damage anything by itself.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    That is actually the correct reason. Leaving the switch on while jacking won't damage anything by itself.

Thanks; I might have just tweaked something. I was under the rear end degreasing, scrubbing and hosing off the axle, diff, stud & girdle kit, RSB, everything, but was careful not to spray the bags. Nice and clean there now.

But I also read a post where a guys died after sitting for a long time. Mine didn't operate for a couple of weeks after years of working daily, so that might have done them in.

Sitting for a few weeks is nothing. That didn't "cause" them to go bad. Have you done the soapy-water test to see if the problem is actually the springs? Could be a leaking solenoid.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Sitting for a few weeks is nothing. That didn't "cause" them to go bad. Have you done the soapy-water test to see if the problem is actually the springs? Could be a leaking solenoid.

No, planned to do that this weekend to check the bags and lines. Didn't know about the solenoid so will have to see if I can eliminate or ID that as the problem. There's one for each side correct? Need to locate them.

Q: should I pull the fuse for the compressor in the meantime and just let it sag? It's running every few minutes now.

Thanks.

Norm

I have not done soapy water yet and will before I replace anything. However, if replacement is necessary I'll document the process and post it here.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    There's one for each side correct? Need to locate them. They're part of the air springs...right on top.

Q: should I pull the fuse for the compressor in the meantime and just let it sag? It's running every few minutes now.
    Just shut the switch in the trunk...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Air bags

Just shut the switch in the trunk...
    Doh! Do you think?

Jesus, I'm getting senile...

BTW, I have this weird rubber stuff that says "Nitto" on it stuck to my rims...

Last edited by Svashtar; 08-03-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information