Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough idle

Rough idle

So before the Nazis jump in I have done the searches and spent a good amount of time reading the different issues and fixes people have done. I recently purchased an 04 marauder off the boards here and it had a rough idle which bugs me. I love the car and do not regret the purchase at all but I have had one of these cars when they were new and it had a smooth idle even after a tune. Car I purchased has the a Lidio tune, older JLT CAI and 4.10 gear. When I first got the car I noticed it would surge when I left off the brake at a light. I was able to fix this by upping the idle RPM in drive but that has its draw backs. I even swapped the stock tune back into the car and still had the same issue.To date I have replace the plugs (proper gap) New OEM coils, motor craft Fuel filter, I cleaned the IAC as well and the MAF and still fight this idle issue. I can hear it through the exhaust even at idle. So what am I missing? Any words of wisdom from the veteran folks on this board? Appreciate any help

Joe
    2004 SB
    4.10's and a tune
    More to come

Rough idle

have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

EGR valve is stuck open. Big ole vacuum leak

When I bought my Marauder it had a rough idle as well. Replacing the plugs made no difference. A compression test showed low compression on cylinder 8. I’d suggest you do a test as well.

As already suggested, either the EGR or your IAC. Just cleaning the IAC does not mean it will work correctly. Also, make sure you get the Ford one and not an off-brand.

Surging is excess air, so you also might want to get a can of starting ether and spray around the various hoses connected to the intake, and also around the intake runners by the heads as well. I bought a Marauder to put back together and it had a rough idle. Turned out the lower intake by #1 was cracked and it was afterwards I found out it also had a nitrous kit on it at some time. I found it with the Ether trick. I'm guessing it was not setup correctly and backfired which cracked the intake.

What you describe is most likely an easy fix. Keep looking and you'll find it.

When you spray the ether, the rpm's will increase if there is a vacuum leak cause the engine is sucking it in and burning it.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

If you need a Brand New IAC Valve I have two made by Hitachi who made 'em for Ford according to Bob!!

PM me if interested!!
    No Marauder

Thanks for the suggestions I will give it a try today
    2004 SB
    4.10's and a tune
    More to come

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyFords View Post
    As already suggested, either the EGR or your IAC. Just cleaning the IAC does not mean it will work correctly. Also, make sure you get the Ford one and not an off-brand.

Surging is excess air, so you also might want to get a can of starting ether and spray around the various hoses connected to the intake, and also around the intake runners by the heads as well. I bought a Marauder to put back together and it had a rough idle. Turned out the lower intake by #1 was cracked and it was afterwards I found out it also had a nitrous kit on it at some time. I found it with the Ether trick. I'm guessing it was not setup correctly and backfired which cracked the intake.

What you describe is most likely an easy fix. Keep looking and you'll find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    When you spray the ether, the rpm's will increase if there is a vacuum leak cause the engine is sucking it in and burning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    If you need a Brand New IAC Valve I have two made by Hitachi who made 'em for Ford according to Bob!!

PM me if interested!!
    What ^^^^^^ they all said!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

No vac leaks found using ether so guess I will look at replacing the egr and iac to see if that resolves the issue. Will also do a compression test this weekend. Other than the idle the car runs fine. Its just enough that you can see a shake to the motor and feel the car shake
    2004 SB
    4.10's and a tune
    More to come

Quote Originally Posted by 03MERCMARAUDER View Post
    No vac leaks found using ether so guess I will look at replacing the egr and iac to see if that resolves the issue. Will also do a compression test this weekend. Other than the idle the car runs fine. Its just enough that you can see a shake to the motor and feel the car shake
    I wouldn't bother replacing any parts before doing the compression check. Its quick and easy and may save you from throwing parts at the problem.

Update. I tossed a known good egr valve on and no change to the rough idle. Plan is to do a compression check tomorrow. I put my x cal on the car and this time I had codes. Had code P0316 and code for cylinder 8 misfire. I swapped cylinder 1 COP with cylinder 8 and cleared the code. Fired the car up and still has rough idle and after a short drive same codes are back so cylinder 8 is where I will focus. Based on the research I have been doing I am afraid I will find low compression on cylinder 8 but I may be wrong. Stay tuned.

Joe
    2004 SB
    4.10's and a tune
    More to come

Update. I tossed a known good egr valve on and no change to the rough idle. Plan is to do a compression check tomorrow. I put my x cal on the car and this time I had codes. Had code P0316 and code for cylinder 8 misfire. I swapped cylinder 1 COP with cylinder 8 and cleared the code. Fired the car up and still has rough idle and after a short drive same codes are back so cylinder 8 is where I will focus. Based on the research I have been doing I am afraid I will find low compression on cylinder 8 but I may be wrong. Stay tuned.

Joe
    This is the exact same symptoms and outcome I had on mine. Misfire on 8 that stayed on 8 no matter what was changed. I’ll be hoping that you have a better outcome than me!

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    This is the exact same symptoms and outcome I had on mine. Misfire on 8 that stayed on 8 no matter what was changed. I’ll be hoping that you have a better outcome than me!
    Head have to come off your car?
    2004 SB
    4.10's and a tune
    More to come

Head have to come off your car?
    Yes, I took it as an opportunity to upgrade however. You could pull just the driver side head and have the valve/valve seat repaired on 8 (assuming That’s the issue which is likely).

I bought some 9 thread heads, had a valve job and some porting done to them, and basically replaced everything other than the shortblock. Still not done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information