Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Suspension

Air Suspension

I had a friend help me replace the Rear Shocks a month ago, and after the shock install the rear suspension pumped up. Normally when I start the car I can here the compressor doing its thing, but now I am not hearing anything, of course this is on the 1st startup for the day. I know something is up since when I go over bumps I can feel it in the rear.

I guess you have to figure with an 18 year old car that you will have some issues. There are no check engine lights, could this be a fuse, where should I start looking. If the air suspension is not working does this mean I will wear out my shocks sooner than later?

Check the ride height sensor on the watts link. As they age and corrode, they get stiff which can lead to the linkage from the watts link to the sensor popping off. If this happens, your system will not pump up.

Don't ride around on the bump stops, you'll end up damaging the shocks and possibly the bags if you do it long enough.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Did you shut off the system by shutting off the switch in the trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Did you shut off the system by shutting off the switch in the trunk?
    I did not know there was a switch in the trunk.

Brentster - I did not know there was a switch in the trunk.
    When replacing the rear shock absorbers if the rear wheels were left to hang (suspension fulled extended), AND the air suspension system switch in the trunk wasn't turned -OFF- there's a good chance that there's damage that's been down to the system.

*.Excerpt from the owner's manual below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe View Post
    When replacing the rear shock absorbers if the rear wheels were left to hang (suspension fulled extended), AND the air suspension system switch in the trunk wasn't turned -OFF- there's a good chance that there's damage that's been down to the system.

*.Excerpt from the owner's manual below.
    Thanks, the shocks were replaced with the car on the ground, basically jacked 1 side up took the tire off and then replaced the shock, then put the tire back on and went to the other side. Is there a fuse for this air system?

If the switch was on and the rear jacked up with the wheels hanging wouldn't the system just think the rear is too high and vent? Worst case scenario it has to refill the air springs.
    2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
    Mods: 21mm rear sway bar, Marauder head unit, Marauder sub/amp, Curless cure, Ford focus fog lamps with Marauder head light switch.

2001 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT: 7.3l nuff said.

2022 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

2017 Ford Edge Titanium

Hg = Mercury (see periodic table of elements).

Quote Originally Posted by Brentster View Post
    Thanks, the shocks were replaced with the car on the ground, basically jacked 1 side up took the tire off and then replaced the shock, then put the tire back on and went to the other side. Is there a fuse for this air system?
    The air suspension has to be turned off even when doing it this way.
    I'm not sure what your problem is.
    Is the rear of the car sitting on the bump stops?

Quote Originally Posted by Hg M75 View Post
    If the switch was on and the rear jacked up with the wheels hanging wouldn't the system just think the rear is too high and vent? Worst case scenario it has to refill the air springs.
    I think that's true.
    Trouble is it's a lot of work for the compressor to fill them that much.
    The one time I forgot to turn the switch off the rear end went all the way down when I took it off the jacks.
    I jacked the car up to near ride height and then let the pump fill them,

Quote Originally Posted by alumarine View Post
    The air suspension has to be turned off even when doing it this way.
    I'm not sure what your problem is.
    Is the rear of the car sitting on the bump stops?
    The Rear of the car is sitting fine, my issue is when I hit a bump it feels like I do not have shocks. The compressor did turn on for a few seconds last night. When we did the shocks the air suspension did take awhile to pump up but it did. I think this is more of an issue with the sensor that is on the rear axle on the drivers side. I am going in for a wheel alignment on Monday and I will have the place take a look at everything.

Did you replace your shocks too?

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by Brentster View Post
    The Rear of the car is sitting fine, my issue is when I hit a bump it feels like I do not have shocks. The compressor did turn on for a few seconds last night. When we did the shocks the air suspension did take awhile to pump up but it did. I think this is more of an issue with the sensor that is on the rear axle on the drivers side. I am going in for a wheel alignment on Monday and I will have the place take a look at everything.
    It sounds like the springs are fine if the ride height is good.
    Maybe it's the shocks?

Again, did you replace the rear shocks to Too? I used KYB and the rear is a lotiilt too firm.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Sounds like you're just not used to having rear shocks that work?
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    Sounds like you're just not used to having rear shocks that work?
    You may have a point, after replacing the shocks the ride is a bit harsh, before the shock replacement the air springs were pumping up every time I first started the car in the morning. In the last month they only pumped up 1 time when I pulled the car out. Realistically if the air helper springs were shot the car would probably be sitting a bit lower?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information