Thread: Trilogy mm sputtering when accelerating no check engine light

Trilogy mm sputtering when accelerating no check engine light

Hello all, new problem started about two weeks ago, left for about a week and came back, it’s sputtering under acceleration between 1500-2590 rpms , the car feels weak, and powerless , almost sounds like a miss fire but no codes, so far I’ve cleaned the maf, air filter , changed fuel filter and problem won’t go away, any other tips ? I’m an ok wrench

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by j221282 View Post
    Hello all, new problem started about two weeks ago, left for about a week and came back, it’s sputtering under acceleration between 1500-2590 rpms , the car feels weak, and powerless , almost sounds like a miss fire but no codes, so far I’ve cleaned the maf, air filter , changed fuel filter and problem won’t go away, any other tips ? I’m an ok wrench

thanks!

My 1st thought is crap fuel but I'm no expert. Completely ridiculous that E0 fuel is so hard to find in Texas.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Do you have a wideband air fuel ratio gauge to make sure it's not running lean? Maybe check for vacuum leaks. Make sure your intercooler pump circulating like it's supposed to. Go to AutoZone and get the compression tester and do a compression check on all the cylinders. see if there's any variance between cylinder psi.

miles?
    maybe coils........
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

+1 on coils. My excursion had a bad one a few weeks ago. Mildly rough idle, stutter/ miss on accel, and low power. Also no CEL.

+2 on COP(s)...possibly plugs as well.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Trilogy mm sputtering when accelerating no check engine light

How old of a Trilogy kit? Did it come with a tuner or a chip? If it’s a chip then remove it, carefully clean the contacts thoroughly and reinsert. Been there.

If that is all good I’d datalog the FPDC next and confirm fuel pump isn’t shot. Been there too... Exact same issue you’re having.

My money is on the fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

+1 on coils. My excursion had a bad one a few weeks ago. Mildly rough idle, stutter/ miss on accel, and low power. Also no CEL.
    +2 on COP(s)...possibly plugs as well.

^^^+3 on all that!^^^

Had the same issue and it was the COP(s)
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

Get a good scanner on it and check fuel pressure and pump duty cycle readings. Then pay close attention to long and short term fuel trims. It's either a fueling or ignition issue.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Bob makes a good point. Got my car not running, fiddled with the chip and it runs. Now, if someone would stop being lazy and put the good trans in it could go back to marking its territory.
    Do you have access to a decent scanner?

just had same issue on my car with a trilogy. turned out that the only plugs my trilogy setup likes is exactly the spark plug they suggest in the manual AWSF22C which they of course don't make anymore but found some on esomething or another. Did a general test of my stock coils primary and secondary leads within specs but just barely so got a set of msd blaster coils that really made a difference! runs like it did when I first got it. so now I will put on my flame suit for this next thing I think stock coils on a non s/c are fine but Ive learned for me at least that boosted applications need better coils then stock the stock ones might be good when brand new but I am a bit of an aggressive driver and they dont seem to work for me with my trilogy kit.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION MY 2 CENTS WORTH

With this heat, you have a bad or weak coil or two.

Tasca and www.americanmuscle.com sell GT500 coils for about $225- $245.00 for all 8 OEM coils. The gt500 coils are the same as our cars, aftermarket ones do not last as long as oem.

I had a miss and sputter on the DTR, bought a set of cheap coils to use as testing tools off eBay for $31.50 shipped. BEST investment as a tool when you have a fleet of marauders
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Does it run alright when you first start it for the day, while the engine is still cool? Does the issue only happen once it gets to operating temp? If so, definitely make sure the intercooler pump is working correctly...
    Best,
    Rick

2004 Silver Birch w/Light Flint Interior
    10.44 @ 131.66 MPH | 604 RWHP & 562 RWTQ

- Trilogy Supercharger #79 Twinscrew w/ 14PSI, Alternative Auto Forged 5.3 Stroker, Stage III Cams, JLT CAI, 405lph Return Fuel System, XL Heat Exchanger, 4.10's, Built Transmission, SCT 90MM MAF, Custom Tuned by Lidio.

- Kooks Headers. Magnaflow Cats & 18" Mufflers with 2.5" X-Pipe & Tailpipes. Megs' Res-Delete Tips

- Widened 9.5" Rear Rims w/Nitto NT555G2 Front Tires and NT555Rii Drag Radials.
       245/45/ZR18 & 305/45/ZR18. TCE Performance Brakes and SS lines.

- Spoiler, MMX Driveshaft, Metco Loop and Control Arms, ADTR Front and Addco Rear Sway Bars, Art Carr Transmission Pan, Eaton Posi, Stud & Girdle kit, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Marauder Door Sills, SS Inserts, Dynamat, Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX with 6x8" 260w Speakers and 12" 1400w Sub-woofer

Thread Information