Thread: Muffler Swap

Muffler Swap

Looked around on youtube and decided on Flowmaster Delta 50s. 2.5in center/offset. Is that the correct size. And how easy is it to weld them on and everything. Thanks

stock muffler are pretty long, may need to add a piece of tubing to make up difference, are you doing it yourself? muffler shop, prolly an hour or less.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Yeah Im going to take it to a shop. Not worth the struggle

I believe the pipe in front of the muffler is 2.25 and the over axle pipe to tip is 2.5. but 2.5 center/offset is correct. But are flowmasters directional? meaning they are designed to flow one way?

Maraduer exhaust is offset to enter and center to exit/
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

didnt know they were offset enter and center out. Thinking of the reverse. But yes flowmaster has the other option of 2.5 in offset in and center out. They are even offered in the full 409 stainless as said on the website with a life time warranty of rust.

409 is crappy stainless, but it is still better than steel or aluminized.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    409 is crappy stainless, but it is still better than steel or aluminized.
    409 stainless is what the factory exhaust is made from, amongst millions of other cars.
    It is designed to discolor and form surface rust, which protects the rest of it.

It is hardly crappy. Name one Marauder 15 years later that has a rotten factory exhaust system

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    409 stainless is what the factory exhaust is made from, amongst millions of other cars.
    It is designed to discolor and form surface rust, which protects the rest of it.

It is hardly crappy. Name one Marauder 15 years later that has a rotten factory exhaust system
    409 is cheap to produce that's why manufacturers use it. People hear their Honda has a factory stainless exhaust system it is a selling point for dealers. I don't recall anyone's Marauder exhaust falling apart, but the 409 stainless system on my truck is gone after less than 10 years.

If the OP has a choice to buy a 304 stainless muffler it will last longer and look nicer due to its higher chromium and nickel content especially, if he lives in an area where corrosion is a concern.

Eric, do you know what Magnaflow mufflers are made out of? The ones that were removed from Phoebe more than 6 years ago have been sitting in my back yard ever since and are still shiny.

I do agree with Zack's point, though...the exhaust system on my DD has spent all of its 17 years in New England and is still decent. I wouldn't want to try taking any of it apart, though...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Eric, do you know what Magnaflow mufflers are made out of? The ones that were removed from Phoebe more than 6 years ago have been sitting in my back yard ever since and are still shiny.

I do agree with Zack's point, though...the exhaust system on my DD has spent all of its 17 years in New England and is still decent. I wouldn't want to try taking any of it apart, though...
    Every source I found has FlowMaster and Magnaflow using 409 SS. Borla and Corsa use a lot of 304.

See my signature... have installed on three cars now. For a manly, throaty, muscle car loud-ish growl (not a tinny high pitched percussion-like blap blap blap)... Got another compliment at Smog station Saturday from a guy pumping gas nearby, "Wow, that car sounds tough and mean!" Which made the smog guy triple check to make sure I had CATS installed.
    Last edited by 1Marauder; 05-02-2017 at 01:26 PM.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Thread Information