Thread: BCM option?

Question BCM option?

OK, after a year of banging on it with a screwdriver and procrastinating, my blower control module has finally given up the ghost. My BCM is bad and fastblackmerc is fresh out of repaired BCMs (don't forget to send your old one back folks!), so I’m been trying different options. I toyed with the idea of saving myself time but losing money and emailed the stealership for price on a 9W73-19E624-AA. They email me back that they have a compatible 8W7Z-19E624-A at a cost of $131.36 before tax and labor. That part appears to match AutoZone part JA1710 for ~$43.99: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=79885_0_0_

Is there any reason this AutoZone replacement BCM would be incompatible or a bad idea?
    03 300A Black 1719/7839
    Current mods: FRP 4.10s, DR 93 Octane & shift tune, 8-clutch stock diff rebuild, bald tires
    Wish list: Eaton M112 kit and/or get bored and stroke it to a 5.0L

Don't let friends drive stockers:

I work for Advance and replaced mine with BWD part about 3 yr's ago and is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    OK, after a year of banging on it with a screwdriver and procrastinating, my blower control module has finally given up the ghost. My BCM is bad and fastblackmerc is fresh out of repaired BCMs (don't forget to send your old one back folks!), so I’m been trying different options. I toyed with the idea of saving myself time but losing money and emailed the stealership for price on a 9W73-19E624-AA. They email me back that they have a compatible 8W7Z-19E624-A at a cost of $131.36 before tax and labor. That part appears to match AutoZone part JA1710 for ~$43.99: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=79885_0_0_

Is there any reason this AutoZone replacement BCM would be incompatible or a bad idea?
    I believe post 6 tell you where to solder

Maybe fastblack will post a pic?

It may not be exactly like yours but it's not rocket science

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f39/f...er-quit-19142/
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

I repaired mine too, i simply took it apart, looked at it closely to find a scorched solder blob, i heated up the solder with a soldering iron, remelted the existing solder, and ive been good ever since(2years). A lot of guys on here would rather pay to have it fixed, id rather spend my money on the tools used to fix it, and learn to do it myself. YouTube is you're best friend if youve never soldered something before, it's very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    I repaired mine too, i simply took it apart, looked at it closely to find a scorched solder blob, i heated up the solder with a soldering iron, remelted the existing solder, and ive been good ever since(2years). A lot of guys on here would rather pay to have it fixed, id rather spend my money on the tools used to fix it, and learn to do it myself. YouTube is you're best friend if youve never soldered something before, it's very easy to do.
    You wouldn't want to........ Never mind
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Yes you need to resolder the connections.

The reason it fails is because the part needs to be ROHS complaint which means the solder used can't contain any lead. Lead in solder makes it flexible. Without the lead solder is brittle and will crack very easily.

I use solder with lead to repair the BCM. BTW you need a high wattage soldering iron as the contacts are big and thick... (TWSS).
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Easy? NO!

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    BTW you need a high wattage soldering iron as the contacts are big and thick... (TWSS).
    Soldering is not "easy to do" if you don't have a properly sized soldering gun/iron. It is impossible to do!

=======================
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod View Post
    Soldering is not "easy to do" if you don't have a properly sized soldering gun/iron. It is impossible to do!

=======================
    That is correct. I'll post a picture of the iron I use.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thanks all for the good advice.

I gave the solder job a consideration, but my work schedule lately prevented me from taking the time to go that route. I’d love to pick it soldering later, but I don’t know my way around a circuit board like some of you guys.

Anyways, I found the part on our new supporting vendor’s website for cheaper than AutoGroan: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...236&cc=1387829

Applied the Marauder discount and it offset the cost of shipping. While I was at it, I grabbed the equivalent part for my brother’s 1996 Cherokee XJ for him and it cost $6.06. I wish Marauder’s BCMs were as cheap and easily replaceable as some Jeeps.

I struggled around the hoses for a while then gave up and pulled them off. I think I lost more coolant burping the crossover tube afterwards than when I disconnected the hoses. Well, blower motor is working as commanded now. I continue to appreciate this forum and all of the great ideas.
    03 300A Black 1719/7839
    Current mods: FRP 4.10s, DR 93 Octane & shift tune, 8-clutch stock diff rebuild, bald tires

I can use your old BCM. Will pay shipping.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I can use your old BCM. Will pay shipping.
    Yessir, it's a little beat on the top from repeated love taps, but I saved it for you to salvage. PM me your address and I'll try to get it in the mail this week.
    03 300A Black 1719/7839

I grabbed the equivalent part for my brother’s 1996 Cherokee XJ for him and it cost $6.06. I wish Marauder’s BCMs were as cheap and easily replaceable as some Jeeps.
    I'll bet the Jeep's is just a resistor pack, that's why it's so cheap.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Checking back in with a BCM update. Airtex aftermarket part failed last November after about 2.5 years (~20k miles?). Symptom again was fan on high as long as the key was turned. Tapping BCM with screwdriver did not give me temporary control of fan speed like before. Just replaced tonight with Motorcraft part. Will send Airtex unit to fastblackmerc for refurb, salvage, or to shoot out of a cannon as he sees fit. I also have an LCM for him too. Will get in the mail soon.
    03 300A Black 1719/7839

i ripped one out of a crown vic at pick n pull, promptly stuck it in my pocket, then went home and swapped em out been working just fine. Free too

edit: oops. sorry to bump le old thread

98 P71 SOLD

2003 MARAUDER - BLACK ~ Race Car
    2003 MARAUDER - DARK BLUE PEARL ~ DD
    2002 Crown Vic Sport ~ top secret project car

I toyed with the idea of saving myself time but losing money and emailed the stealership for price on a 9W73-19E624-AA. They email me back that they have a compatible 8W7Z-19E624-A at a cost of $131.36 before tax and labor.
    WHAT?? A factory fresh BCM from my local Ford dealer cost me $63... I wasn't even going to bother with saving $10 on an aftermarket.

Thread Information