Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cry02 SC Intercooler Spray Kit

Cry02 SC Intercooler Spray Kit

A new product has been recently been released by DEI (Design Engineering www.designengineering.com) for Trilogy type SC blowers with air - water intercooling. DEI has designed a way to cryogenically lower the incoming air charge with the new CryO2 intercooler spray kit. Using the super-cooling properties of carbon dioxide, DEI has designed a kit that vents C02 directly into the cooling fins of your intercooler, increasing the intercoolers efficiency by up to 50%.

The web site is lacking in good information on the kit and what it can actually do, i.e. increase in HP. Does anyone have any information on this intercooler spray kit and what kind of HP increase one can expect? It does look interesting. but what are the expected results????

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-23-2007 at 10:00 PM.
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

Blog Entries
    Another Trilogy owner tried a similar or the same product with no improvement.

I beleive this was due to the IAT sensor location and software.

I beleive the new IAT location and software would enable this system to work.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Very interesting. Looks like though it isn't a full time system?
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    Another Trilogy owner tried a similar or the same product with no improvement.

I beleive this was due to the IAT sensor location and software.

I beleive the new IAT location and software would enable this system to work.
    You beat me to it.

Since the IAT measures the ambient air, not the super-cooled air, the PCM will never add timing appropriately and will result in minimal, if any performance gains.

The only way this would work on a Trilogy car, is to spray the intercooler on a dyno and have a custom tune for the CRYO2.
    But keep in mind, the IC coolant temps will never be the same in the real world, so your tune might have too much spark, or not enough depending on conditions.

Dont waste your money.
    Instead, pick up your phone and spend the nickel calling JB to ask him where the IAT2 kit he promised is at.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    ask him where the IAT2 kit he promised is at.
    My Trilogy has the IAT2.
    2003 300A Black Mercury Marauder 4334 of 7839
    Trilogy #150 installed by Carfixer & Tallboy 4/21/2007
    (brute's garage)

Blog Entries
    Spray the IAT and use race fuel!
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    My Trilogy has the IAT2.
    mine as well
    Member Number 32

An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Instead, pick up your phone and spend the nickel calling JB to ask him where the IAT2 kit he promised is at.
    It was released a while back
    Member Number 32

Response of the Trilogy owner who did this.

A couple of years ago I was approached by a company that developed, or actually adapted a cooling system for liquid cooled Ford supercharged setups, primarily designed for Cobras and Lightnings. Since the intercooling setup on the Trilogy Marauders is very simular to the Cobra setup, it was thought it might help out. Their initial research data on a Cobra with this prototype system appreciated a 45 degree drop in coolant temps in fluid entering the intercooler/supercharger. For anyone that knows anything about coolant temps in the supercharger as related to performance as a result knows that is a BIG deal. The Marauder setup was yet another shot at prototyping a system that would yield results for liquid intercooled S/Ced cars. This setup eliminates the single biggest problem with some other CO2 sytems that vent the CO2 on the heat exchanger directly, the problem with that setup is you run a risk of injesting some CO2 into your air intake which is very bad. I plumbed some temp sending units to monitor the coolant temperature as it leaves the supercharger, very hot, and the coolant temperature as it leaves the CO2 cooling unit, which should be cooler and goes directly to the supercharger to cool intake air better.

I have done a lot of research on different cooling methods, from old fashioned ice bath containers in the trunk, to tapping the freon sytem to chill coolant, to using CO2. Of those top 3 methods, the CO2 seemed safer, less invasive than tapping the AC system, cheaper, etc. Of the various CO2 systems, I eliminated the "spraying" CO2 thru the heat exchanger, to much of a risk of sucking in the CO2 in your intake, leaving the system we are trying to modify to the Eaton equipped Marauder. The cooling occurs when the liquid CO2 is sprayed into the coolant chiller. This chiller is a long cylindrical tube with smaller capilary tubes running thru it. The hot coolant flows thru these capilary tubes. The CO2 is pumped into the larger cylinder, and surrounds the smaller caplilary tubes containing hot coolant. The CO2 hits the hot coolant flowing thru the unit, and becomes CO2 gas, which is vented safely away from the air intake side of the motor compartment. The freshly chilled coolant is then run thru the intercooler mounted to the Eaton so you have cooler charge air.

It should be mentioned that CO2 is redily available at welding supply shops, medical suppy centers, beverage companies, and any supplier that deals with gasses. It is safe to handle, not explosive, and dirt cheap. A 10 lb bottle costs $7 to $10 to fill. It cant hurt your car, just make it run like it does on a crisp fall or spring day, when it is 80 degrees out!

To test the setup, I used a Dakota Digital water temp gauge with two temp sensor units plumbed into the intercooling system. The guage tells me BOTH the temp of the coolant coming straight from the intercooling unit in the intake manifold, AND the temp of the coolant going into the intercooler after being cooled by the heat exchanger and my cooling unit. I have tested the system, and the best results were from the Fun Ford Weekend in Norwalk a couple of years ago. I have noticed that the Trilogy intercooling system is VERY effective! Norwalk was very hot and humid, and the intercooler maintained a very average ambiant temperature for the intercooler itself. Under hard use and wide open throttle, the hot coolant never got higher than 121 degrees, on the other hand, with only the heat exchanger being used, it managed to drop that 121 degrees to about 105 degrees for the coolant going back into the intercooler. After engauging the prototype cooling system in the staging lanes, that coolant temp was dropped even further to appx 89 degrees. That is a big deal....
    It would appear that just the stock heat exchanger alone drops the intercharger coolant temps 10-20 degrees depending on the weather, the prototype CO2 cooling mod appears to be able to drop it by another 10-20 degrees on top of that. This testing is far from rocket science testing, but Dakota Digital indicates the gauge and sending units are +/- 1 to 2 degrees in this temperature range. I am positive that the setup helps the car run better in hot and humid weather, in essance on a 90 degree day at the track, the car will run as if it was 60 degrees out. I for one can actually feel the difference it makes.
    Just be sure to steer away from ANY CO2 cooling system that sprays the CO2 directly on the intercooler. If your engine ingests any of the CO2 gas, it could create a problem with combustion and damage the motor. At the very least it will cause the car to shudder and stall, losing power as it inhales the CO2 gas. Trust me, I did my homework on this mod a couple of years ago.

Trilogy Eaton Intercooled Supercharger #0002.
    11.844 @ 115.99 MPH
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

More info... from the guy who knows.

I am the Trilogy owner that he is refering to. He apparently didnt read, or is incapable of reading, the threads that described the power pickup. Basically, the initial setup yielded results that were best appreciated at the track. Simply put, when we were at the track which was 102 degrees, I was running much faster than the other Trilogy cars. In fact, my timeslips were nearly identical to the slips I produced at the same track, 2 months earlier, when the temp at the track was 65 degrees. I would call that far from "no improvement". As I said before, the setup allows you to lower your intercooler coolant temperatures, which lower your charge air for the supercharger. Used properly, you can run as if the temperature was 40-45 degrees cooler than it really is. On a cool fall night, the temperature was 65, after using the system, my coolant temp was a staggering 37 degrees, and I ran the best time the car has ever produced. I think it gave me an edge when I raced and beat the Ford GT a couple of years back.
    It just isnt a full time all the time setup. You are liminted by tank size and usage, just like nitrous. I still keep a full tank in the trunk, ready to go...a quick purge, and I am ready to zap away 45 degrees from the current outside temp! Anyone can tell you how differently the Trilogy Marauder runs when it is 100 degrees out, and when it is 55 degrees out, its much more snappy and responsive. These are the results I have documented.

Someone please cut and past the above response back to the thread on MM.net please. You can see how fair they are when one cant even respond back to an obvious slam when you are "banned". Thanks.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Are you freakin kidding me?

Thats plain pathetic

And to think he just posted he hasn't browsed mm.net in months.

What a loser.
    Cut and paste that for me Rich.

Blog Entries
    MI2;

"For what its worth, I did extensive research on this concept over a year ago. I discovered that people were having problems with this very kit. Everyone I talked to, including distributors and salesmen told me it was junk, and could hurt your motor if your car ingested the co2. When I talked to a company rep, they told me that that was just a nasty rumor, and there was no way a car could suck the co2 gas into the motor via the air intake. What a bunch of Bullstuff. I did some further checking to find a co2 system that does not vent inside the engine compartment. The results were good, perhaps more noticable on a supercharged car. Read my thread on it."

Design Engineering is the kit that was asked about in the thread that the above quote is referring to.

The same author that asked to be copied and paste above wrote what is posted above.

Thread - http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ng+intercooler
    Last edited by sailsmen; 06-23-2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Long View Post
    I am the Trilogy owner that he is refering to. He apparently didnt read, or is incapable of reading, the threads that described the power pickup. .............................. ...............

Someone please cut and past the above response back to the thread on MM.net please. You can see how fair they are when one cant even respond back to an obvious slam when you are "banned". Thanks.

Who is being refered to here? Sailsmen or Zack?

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    Another Trilogy owner tried a similar or the same product with no improvement.......
    You beat me to it.

Since the IAT measures the ambient air, not the super-cooled air, the PCM will never add timing appropriately and will result in minimal, if any performance gains.

The only way this would work on a Trilogy car, is to spray the intercooler on a dyno and have a custom tune for the CRYO2.
    But keep in mind, the IC coolant temps will never be the same in the real world, so your tune might have too much spark, or not enough depending on conditions.

At some point this all has to stop. This is absurd.

On another note, thanks for the good info Rich.
    Member Number 32

Blog Entries
    MI2 apparently tested or researched a system by Design Engineering that he did not like.

MI2 apparently has a different system on his vehicle that he does like.

The original post was about a Design Engineering system.

We also know that inorder to fully benefit from a system that cools the air the IAT has to be located in a place where it can read it and the software has to be able to respond.

The internet is a difficult place to communicate.
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft

It's the constant accusation of "slaming' that has to stop. There was none that I could see.

We are a very small community, us Marauder owners, we can't afford this 'wedge' or the constant petty sniping.

We should be helping each other without ulterior motive.
    Member Number 32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information