Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating???

Overheating???

Trying to figure this out had my thermostat replaced and coolant flushed a while back everything is fine. Car was overheating before having this done ran fine for 2 weeks after then I leave the car for about 2 months and my mom starts driving it about maybe 4 miles round trip everyday she calls and no problems. Come back home been driving like crazy running errands while home and after 4 days now the MM is overheating again. Any ideas gonna try doing the burp tomorrow I read about but I thought I gave it a good one since I had it running about 3 hours when I did the coolant. Put a new cap on it today and still overheating not sure what else it could be. There are only 2000 miles on the fresh coolant and thermostat. Any ideas???

Burp it.

KillJoy

Indeed.

Sometimes it takes quite awhile to clear the air.
    2017 Niro

How many times would you think on average??? This is my way back so it will be going on an 800 mile trip on Fri.

5-6 time for me.

KillJoy

PS - If you have not, install a 180* Thermostat

After I installed the new water pump I had to burp it about 7 times. Its a PITA but its the only solution.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

After having my new 180* thermostat installed I had to burp mine 3 times before it would settle down. I'm going to burp her again tomorrow for good measures again.

I had a major overheating problem a few weeks ago. My radiator fan motor decided to fry itself, $647 later I had a new one installed. Check to make sure your fan kicks on and off with no problem by leaving the hood open with the car running and turn the A/C on, the fan should cycle on then off. I can't remember the length of time the cycles, maybe 15-30 secs?

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Make sure you park it on a slight decline, or at least level ground with the front facing down. Took me about seven times.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

Quote Originally Posted by 1stMerc View Post
    Make sure you park it on a slight decline, or at least level ground with the front facing down. Took me about seven times.
    Front facing up, no? You want the water outlet to be the highest point in cooling system.

Mitch

Filling — Bleeding 4.6L (4V)

CAUTION: Engine coolant provides freeze protection, boil protection, cooling efficiency and corrosion protection to the engine and cooling components. In order to obtain these protections, the engine coolant must be maintained at the correct concentration and fluid level in the degas bottle.

When adding engine coolant, use a 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and engine coolant.

To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:
    • Add Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant VC-4-A (in Oregon VC-5 in Canada CXC-10) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A (green in color), or Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A (in Oregon VC-7-B) or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow in color). Always fill the cooling system with the same type of coolant that was drained from the system. Do not mix coolant types.
    • Do not add orange-colored Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant VC-2 or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D. Mixing coolants can degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.
    • Do not add alcohol, methanol or brine, or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.
    • Do not mix with recycled coolant unless it meets the requirements of Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A or WSS-M97B51-A1. Not all coolant recycling processes meet these Ford specifications. Use of such coolants may harm the engine and cooling system components.

1. Remove the coolant bleed plug from the coolant bypass tube.
    1. Disconnect the heater core coolant supply hose.
    1. Add the coolant/water mixture through the water bypass tube opening until coolant appears at the heater core coolant supply hose.
    1. Install the heater hose, using an appropriately sized worm-style clamp in place of the constant tension clamp.
    1. Install the water bypass bleed plug.
    1. Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks and install the pressure cap.
    1. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at the A/C vents in the instrument panel.
    1. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.
    1. CAUTION: If air discharge remains cool and the engine temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.
      Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks and install the pressure cap.
    1. Repeat the two previous steps until the engine coolant mixture is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks on the degas bottle. Turn off the engine and allow it to cool.
    1. Check the freeze protection of the engine coolant mixture with the Battery/Antifreeze Tester 014-R1060 or equivalent. Adjust freezing point range if necessary. For additional information, refer to Engine Cooling .
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 09-05-2007 at 08:25 AM.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Well a little update had the cap loose on the crossover pipe and had it running and there were bubbles and lots of coolant spraying out am I just supposed to wait till the bubbling out of the threads stop cause it didnt seem like it was slowing down at all. After a good 15 minutes of running like this the temp guage was fine so I capped it up and drove about 1 mile and she overheated again so I turned on the heat to 90 max and it runs at normal but the heat coming out it like burn your hand hot. So I guess my question now is should it be bubbling and leaking coolant from the thread when I run it loose or am I doing something wrong should I have the pressurized cap off of the overflow while I do this????

Your'e doing it correctly.
    2017 Niro

OK.....what coolant are you using?

Are you sure your T-Stat hasn't seized?

Make certain you have gotten ALL of the air out. If you do not think you can do this yourself, your local F/L/M Dealer should be able to get it done for a small charge.

KillJoy

I'm using Prestone Pre-dilluted 50-50 mix antifreeze. I was just worry about all the fluid spraying out and if I needed the overflow cap on I will give her another run today with the cap halfway off and see what happens. Gonna get a new belt to dont like all the coolant getting all over it.

I have always wondered about the 50/50 (example) for our cars. I thought since we have a sealed system it should only use 100% coolant which in a sealed system raises the boiling point? I've had two L/M dealers tell me they used 100% coolant in my car, no water added.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information