Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Tips-Info from your "tips"-

Exhaust Tips-Info from your "tips"-

Exhaust tips--info from your tips--

After last nights call for help and tips received--here is the latest update for all wanting to buy the tips and oil gauges--at least what I had to do ....

1. Called "Summit Racing " for the correct oil gauge-- # 1-800- 230-3030--cost is a bit more than I thought it would be--Pm me for info if you want cost...should get it Monday PM

2 . Called Cone Engineering in Calif. this morning for the new "tips"--problem here--seems they don''t sell to private individuals---just to their distributers--so ..was told theirs was --get this --"Inovative Interceptors" in Houston ,Tx.
    # 1-713-681-5856.....AN the owners name is West Chain-----he is aka "WCHAIN" on our (net) forum.

Okay--ordered the tips-=-Again for more than what has been stated here previously--but ---damn--time is awaistn for me ..so they will arrive Monday as well...--again---PM me for cost...

Mr Chain wanted me to tell all about his availablity for these tips if you wanted them..but wait till I get them and I will either brag or the other on him for us all...

AND also got the new Sylvania bulbs and there going in as well...
    ..will be really a completely new car when she comes out this week for the ALT. meet-=-can't wait...sorry for long thread....
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

MMpridenjoy Guest
    Nice..sounds like you are lovin it when you get it back. Just to add to your great post, the link for those tips.

Megs

Ouch. Cone must have decided to change theoir policy. A bunch of us shopped direct and saved! It's a good thing I got in early, 'cause I used up my allowance on the car for the next three years!!

Tom - Sounds like things are moving along fairly well and you are back on the road shortly. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Hope to be BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN next week--Its crunch time--alot still to do and little time before ALT meet 25/26th....Thanks for keep'n up with me....
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

WolfeBros Guest
    Ouch........ I know the guy in (location deleted by WolfeBros) was selling them for $130 vs the $60 from the manufacturer Cone Engineering. He is on this site and may have complained. A case of where our own 411 was used against us. Thats too bad because when I talked to him he didn't even have them in stock and was just acting as the middle man. Not a bad racket .....over double the price for no value added. Sorry for the people that didn't get a chance to order directly. I know several people bought from here at the same time. If enough people are still interested maybe we can work our own deal to continue to buy directly. I wouldn't mind heading up that effort in your behalf since I sort of got this thing started. PM me if you want to buy a set of tips w/o resonators. If we get enough interest I think that they might listen. I have an established business to order them from as well. If the vendor wants to step up to the plate and help sponsor the site thats different, I would back off. Otherwise he is just feeding off our group. I have my set. I am just thinking of the group. Thoughts anyone?

looking97233 Guest
    Wolfe- sounds like a shark to me. I was going to get a pair, haven't gotten around to it yet. I saw the manuf. price, and I saw the other guys price. More than double.... I understand a distrubator has to make a proffit, but 116%? If this distrubator is the only place to get the Megs, I'll get the almost identical ones from dynomax even though the cost even more. Just on principal.

schuvwj Guest
    You know we've all talked about changing the tips to get rid of the baffle! Is there a way to modify or remove all or just part of the baffle in the stock tips

Maybe the guys who have replaced them can give us some info on how they are designed so we can modify them our selves?

Thanks!

It does NOT look to me like the stock tips can readily be modified or altered without permanently damaging them.

By the way, what did you do to modify your dead pedal? Details, please......

If our source for genuine Megs tips has dried up, here's an addy for a real neat look-a-like. www.goravin.com Go to PRODUCTS, scroll down to TIPS, look at the VP1552, 2 1/4" inlet, 3" chrome tip, 24" long, angle cut tip. Not exact, I know, but looks real neat. Available from Midas Mufflers, sorry, I haven't a retail price right now. Just a suggestion...

116% eh? I'd rather spend more elsewhere, than pay a pirate!

schuvwj Guest

Post Modify Tips and Dead Pedal

Originally posted by martyo
    It does NOT look to me like the stock tips can readily be modified or altered without permanently damaging them.

By the way, what did you do to modify your dead pedal? Details, please......
    Martyo I understand that modifying the tips would be permanent but if you could modify them gradually to get the level of sound you like, (little at a time), to me this would not be a problem!

As far as the dead pedal modification:
    1) I went to Lowes and bought a 4" by 8" by 3/16" thick steal plate.
    2) I drilled new holes on one end of the plate where the dead pedal was originally mounted by using the dead pedal as a template for hole spacing.
    3) I bolted the plate to the dead pedal bracket (You do not have to by longer bolts, the original bolts were long enough).
    4) Once the plate was bolted on the bracket I positioned the dead pedal on the plate useing a visegrip in alocation that felt best to me.
    5) Marked holes on the plate again using the dead pedal as a template.
    6) Removed the plate, drilled the two more holes large enough so I could insert carriage bolts, (had to by bolts and lock nuts at the hardware store), because there is no clearance for a std. bolt head, std. head will rub against the kick panel.
    7) Once I had the proper location I took my electrical saw-zaw and trimmed the 4"x8x3/16" plate to remove any unneeded material sanded and painted the newly cut plate black.
    8) Then re-installed it!
    Dead pedal is still very sturdy!
    Works Great!

WolfeBros Guest
    Bill from what I saw there just is no easy way to get inside the tip to do the work. Kinda like building a ship in a bottle. There is probably a way but is it worth the time and effort and hassle?
    Only you can answer that question. The OEM tip is kind of like a pipe in a pipe. There is a plate halfway down inside the thing that reduces the inner tip from 3" to 2 1/2". What is on the backside of that restriction to the inlet of the tip is unknown to me but I suspect it is a solid pipe. The OEM MEGS tip is alot heavier than the replacement MEGS tip. The replacement tip is 2 1/2 inches but opens up to 3" all thru the tip, not just halfway.
    I suspect this extra length and diameter is what helps with the tone. Kinda like a megaphone would work.

Bill: Thanks for the input in the dead pedal mod. I think Sam (Wolfe) covered all I could add here.

schuvwj Guest
    Sam thanks for the feedback on the exhuast tips.

I was wondering what would kind of change I would have in the exhuast sound if I had a 3/8" or 1/2" drill bit that would reach half way down the megs and drill a hole or two in that plate?

I may give it a try if I can see what is in there, maybe, just maybe drilling one hole will improve the sound and two or three may be even better?

I was hoping you seeing the megs from the inlet side would give me some additional info on how to modify them.

Thanks for the info. Sam/Wolf!!!

DLoreanMARAUDER Guest
    Originally posted by WolfeBros
    Ouch........ I know the guy in (location deleted by WolfeBros) was selling them for $130 vs the $60 from the manufacturer Cone Engineering. He is on this site and may have complained. A case of where our own 411 was used against us. I have my set. I am just thinking of the group. Thoughts anyone?
    I like the way you think and I am with you on this one. why would cone stop selling to individuals unless someone complained, and if that is the case, then thats just playing dirty. its important that we stick together and watch out for one another, and your one stand up guy for doing so! too bad i didnt order sooner. Oh well I'd rather pay you (even if you cant get them cheeper) than someone who is profiting off us and not doing anything in return!:po: !

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information