Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2003 Whipple Mercury Marauder with charging problem.

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    The picture says it all........ Start where the original wiring started on the PS of the car. Check every crimp, connection, etc....

If it were mine I would replace all wiring from the fuse block to the new location on the DS.

Major hackery.....

Yup! I agree, go back to the passenger side and start untaping.. Check every connection over, use a multimeter to check every one and look for any rubbing in the new route they chose. I bet you’ll see nothing but voltage drop the farther you get from the battery and quite possibly somewhere it rubbed thru and at times grounding out.

I myself like to find the root cause when possible before going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    The battery could be bad, motorcraft or not, do you by any chance have under drive pulleys on the car? Also, it is possible that the tune is the issue.

Obviously, figuring this out over the internet will be tough, but... a few things..

When did this first start?

Prior to the S/C did it charge ok?

Did anything happen along the way that may have caused this, I.E. damaged wires from an animal, a wreck etc.?

How old is the battery?

Did you check the ground to chassis, ground to engine, ground from engine to the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prior the S/c it was okay, even after i installed the S/c it was okay. The problem started almost 2 years ago, i had a tune revise from a well known tuner in Kuwait. The car was perfect for 5 months or so, suddenly the alternator stopped working, so i changed it and bought a new one from the agent. Since the day the alternator died the problem started. I changed the alternator, batteries ( motorcraft, obtima ) still same problem.

I guess i need to check my full wiring as everyone is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    I have seen a corrupted tune cause the alternator to not charge correctly and since our alternators are ecu controlled I also seen a bad tune discharge a perfectly good and new battery in about 30 seconds. Did this just start happening recently or did it by any chance occur after a tune or tune revision?

I do have an SCT pro racer software, do you know which parameters i need to check in the tune ??

Is the replacement alternator a 4G alternator? Crown Vic ones are not the same..
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    The picture says it all........ Start where the original wiring started on the PS of the car. Check every crimp, connection, etc....

If it were mine I would replace all wiring from the fuse block to the new location on the DS.

Major hackery.....

Ill do that

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Is the replacement alternator a 4G alternator? Crown Vic ones are not the same..

Yes 4G

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Yup! I agree, go back to the passenger side and start untaping.. Check every connection over, use a multimeter to check every one and look for any rubbing in the new route they chose. I bet you’ll see nothing but voltage drop the farther you get from the battery and quite possibly somewhere it rubbed thru and at times grounding out.

I myself like to find the root cause when possible before going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will do that and check from the passengers side were the connections started.

Also I would check /clean your grounds. A sudden raise in resistance will cause excessive amperage draw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by minimarine09 View Post
    Also I would check /clean your grounds. A sudden raise in resistance will cause excessive amperage draw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’ll change all wiring and check if that will help.
    I’ll do the big3 upgrade also to help cater for the 220 amps alternator.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information