Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Suspension - Temporary Fix?

Air Suspension - Temporary Fix?

Hello!

My pump to the air suspension on my Marauder has went out.. I thought I had read on here somewhere that there was a way to inflate the rear suspension with a compressor or something until I can get the pump replaced.. How hard is that to do??

Thanks!

That would be nice, but no, it's not possible to inflate the suspension with an external air hose. If your rear end hasn't yet sunk too low, turn off the air suspension switch in the trunk ASAP. That will ensure whatever air is in your springs will stay there until you replace the air pump (unless the air springs are leaking).
    You've got to ask yourself why the air pump died - a common reason is leaky air springs (which forces the pump to continually try pumping them up, overworking the pump and killing it in short order).

Have a look at arnott air suspensions for inexpensive replacements. Their parts are decent quality for the right price - but don't expect them to last as long as OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by GetMeMyStogie View Post
    That would be nice, but no, it's not possible to inflate the suspension with an external air hose. ......
    This is not correct. When my compressor went out I was able to un-hook the compressor, re-inflate the bags and then turn the air suspension switch off. This allowed the bags to stay inflated until my new compressor from arnott arrived.

Driving with the car on the bump stops is no fun and potentially dangerous.

The temporary fix how-to;
    Thanks to "Grifter"
    OK, heres what you do to get the car back up to ride height (if its the compressor that died, not the bags that blew.)

This works a little easier w/ 2 people, and an air compressor with a rubber tipped air nozzle (worked well for me, the tube type may as well if thats all you have) a small 5 gallon (@ 80ish psi) tank should have enough air in it. It doesnt take much air to get the bags back up

Pop the trunk, you will need access to the air ride switch. Remove the air box (if you have it, or other intake assembly) to reveal the suspension compressor beneath. locate the air line coming out of the small tank attatched tot he pump. remove the air line. Push the colored ring in and pull the tube out to remove it.
    with the air ride switch in the on position,and the air compressor all ready to go, have a buddy hop in the car and turn the key to 'On' but dont start it. in a couple seconds you will hear the compressor kick on/grind/howl (whatever noise it makes if any) and/or you will hear the solenoids 'click' from the rear bags. once you hear either of those, start pumping air from the compressor into the air line you removed. that will start to inflate the rear bags. keep filling until the suspension pump stops, or the rear solenoids click shut, or until you get whatever rear height you want.
    once you get to the desired height, go to the trunk and flip the air ride switch off so that the computer doesnt make the solenoids open again and you lose all your air. FYI having the air bag switch off will also make the 'air ride' light come on in the dash.

thats how you can manually add air to the bags and still drive around with a broken compressor. I did that for a week when mine went out..

My adventures;

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=51567

I just did this on Sunday. Worked like a charm. The car will be going in to change the compressor and some other minor stuff before the warranty is up in October.

Quote Originally Posted by jdando View Post
    This is not correct. When my compressor went out I was able to un-hook the compressor, re-inflate the bags and then turn the air suspension switch off. This allowed the bags to stay inflated until my new compressor from arnott arrived.

Driving with the car on the bump stops is no fun and potentially dangerous.

The temporary fix how-to;
    Thanks to "Grifter"
    OK, heres what you do to get the car back up to ride height (if its the compressor that died, not the bags that blew.)

This works a little easier w/ 2 people, and an air compressor with a rubber tipped air nozzle (worked well for me, the tube type may as well if thats all you have) a small 5 gallon (@ 80ish psi) tank should have enough air in it. It doesnt take much air to get the bags back up

Pop the trunk, you will need access to the air ride switch. Remove the air box (if you have it, or other intake assembly) to reveal the suspension compressor beneath. locate the air line coming out of the small tank attatched tot he pump. remove the air line. Push the colored ring in and pull the tube out to remove it.
    with the air ride switch in the on position,and the air compressor all ready to go, have a buddy hop in the car and turn the key to 'On' but dont start it. in a couple seconds you will hear the compressor kick on/grind/howl (whatever noise it makes if any) and/or you will hear the solenoids 'click' from the rear bags. once you hear either of those, start pumping air from the compressor into the air line you removed. that will start to inflate the rear bags. keep filling until the suspension pump stops, or the rear solenoids click shut, or until you get whatever rear height you want.
    once you get to the desired height, go to the trunk and flip the air ride switch off so that the computer doesnt make the solenoids open again and you lose all your air. FYI having the air bag switch off will also make the 'air ride' light come on in the dash.

thats how you can manually add air to the bags and still drive around with a broken compressor. I did that for a week when mine went out..

My adventures;

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=51567
    -Mike

"A common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Unknown

'03 Black Canadian 300A -Born 11/14/02, Adopted 04/05/05
    #6018 of 11,052

Trilogy #196 - Self-installed
    Stuff done to it. See here.

Yup. I did this too a couple years ago. Worked perfectly. Timing is everything, and you can hear the pitch change in the compressor when the valve shuts after 10 seconds.

Previous owner of...

BLACK '03 300A "Bagheera"
    Ford Racing 4:10's
    Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Valentine One Radar Locator w/ remote
    Gods Head Steering wheel badge
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

I stand corrected.

I can add that it should be possible to engage the air bag solenoids directly, by jumping a couple of pins on the air suspension module connector. I did this before on my '94 MGM, when my air pump died (I had a spare compressor, and used it to pump up the rear end higher than normal, to allow for some loss of volume on cooler days).
    As a bonus, when you unplug the module, the air suspension warning light no longer comes on.

Thanks for everyones help and responses to my suspension issue! I am new to this site and just now found everyones responses!

I had attempted to "pump" up the rear end of the car with an external pump, but only managed to completely drop the rear end in the driveway!!

Anyway, I finally found a new pump from Parts.com for $229 and installed it 10 minutes flat.

Hoodfella73 Guest
    where is this compressor located? i seen a how to post at some point, but i cant find it. i ordered the part from arnott also. thanks for so much valuable info. my blower speed controller went out last month.i purchased the part from dealer. the next month my headlights started going off at night and the suspension compressor went out. i googled mercury marauder problems and found this site. dealership wanted over $1500 to make these repairs. i tap under the dash and the lights come on so i won't be buying the $500 LCM at the dealership. i ordered the relays for my lights from mouser.com

2003 Mercury Marauder 77k

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodfella73 View Post
    where is this compressor located? i seen a how to post at some point, but i cant find it. i ordered the part from arnott also. thanks for so much valuable info. my blower speed controller went out last month.i purchased the part from dealer. the next month my headlights started going off at night and the suspension compressor went out. i googled mercury marauder problems and found this site. dealership wanted over $1500 to make these repairs. i tap under the dash and the lights come on so i won't be buying the $500 LCM at the dealership. i ordered the relays for my lights from mouser.com

2003 Mercury Marauder 77k
    For things to do with your Marauder, you found the right site!
    The compressor is under the windshield washer bottle.

Previous owner of...

BLACK '03 300A "Bagheera"
    Ford Racing 4:10's
    Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Valentine One Radar Locator w/ remote
    Gods Head Steering wheel badge
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

Hoodfella73 Guest
    the check engine light is on now. how do i get that to go off?

matth Guest
    I recently turned my MM into a saggy rear-end racer. I pulled the compressor after reading this forum and discovered a rotted, rusted POS. I did manage to use the manual fill technique to get off the bump stops, but now I need a compressor and dryer.

I read on here that Arnott has a replacement compressor, but I called their tech support and they tell me I'm crazy. They have parts for a Grand Marquis and apparently they are different.

Ford wants $325 for the compressor alone and $90 for the dryer

parts.com has the compressor for $224 and the Dryer for $40.

Does anyone have advice on a good source for these parts?
    Just figured I'd ask after scouring this site and calling around.

Does anyone have anything to add here?

-Matt

P.S. hoodfella73, if you're still looking at that light, go to AutoZone or O'Rielley's and have them run a diagnostic just to be sure you're not throwing a code for some other reason then ask them to clear it. They will do this for free.
    Last edited by matth; 12-07-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by matth View Post
    I recently turned my MM into a saggy rear-end racer. I pulled the compressor after reading this forum and discovered a rotted, rusted POS. I did manage to use the manual fill technique to get off the bump stops, but now I need a compressor and dryer.

I read on here that Arnott has a replacement compressor, but I called their tech support and they tell me I'm crazy. They have parts for a Grand Marquis and apparently they are different.

Ford wants $325 for the compressor alone and $90 for the dryer

parts.com has the compressor for $224 and the Dryer for $40.

Does anyone have advice on a good source for these parts?
    Just figured I'd ask after scouring this site and calling around.

Does anyone have anything to add here?

-Matt

P.S. hoodfella73, if you're still looking at that light, go to AutoZone or O'Rielley's and have them run a diagnostic just to be sure you're not throwing a code for some other reason then ask them to clear it. They will do this for free.
    Search for the post(s) on how to fix the compressor before it goes bad.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodfella73 View Post
    the check engine light is on now. how do i get that to go off?
    Use a scan tools to delete the code(s). Most FLAPS will do it for you.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Here's a company with our compressors for the cheap! http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...d20_gid69.html

matth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Here's a company with our compressors for the cheap! http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...d20_gid69.html
    I called Arnott about that very compressor. They told me I was nuts. Actually every FLM dealer I talked to said the MM's have a unique part number, but noone could tell me what was different. From looking at Arnott's photo I immediately see a different electrical connector, ours are 4 conductor, that is a 2 conductor...

Has anyone had experience with Arnott?

I found an OEM replacement from a local dealer complete with the dryer for $260. I'm thinking about going with that.

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordpart...=24&type=parts

P.S. I just bought her 3k miles ago (100k now) so I'm just beginning to work the bugs out. Already replaced the LCM relays... [sigh]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information