Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Size Spare?

Full Size Spare?

Guys: Check out this MM on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1872531204

Is it just me, or is that a full size spare? And is that a real MM rim in the trunk? Do you suppose the orig owner bought an extra wheel?

Just wondering. A guy I know with a Crown Vic has a full size spare. My MM (purchased last Saturday!) has the space saver version.
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

full size spare

Mine has a full size spare with a "replica" of the wheel/full size, "unchromed"...

Sounds like you had an "adjustment"...

Hey Macon,

Welcome to the group. As far as your spare the Marauder comes with a full sized spare. It is actually a unpolished rim with a front tire on it. If you have a mini somebody really screwed up...

On an another note some of us in Atlanta get together monthly and would be glad to have you join in both our group and the Atlanta SVTOA chapter.. let me know if your interested and I'll send you details..
    Wayne

This certainly calls for more research on my part. I think my salesman has some 'splainin to do!

And Wayne,

Please send the info you mentioned. We don't get up to ATL much (what with small children and all) but who knows...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

mtnh Guest
    The next version of Maruader is going to use a space-saver spare. It's not a screw-up. That means that you may have traction control/abs capabilities. As I understand it, that space-saver spare is part of the roll-out of traction control. And who knows, it may actually be removable from its nest for use!

Mike

Hmm. Yes, I see in the ordering doc (that someone linked to earlier) that the MM comes with a "Mini-Spare." This document is dated 10/16/02. Maybe it's just a running change that Mercury made during production.

I don't think I like it. Although, it is hard to imagine a full sized P235/50R18 wheel and tire mounted in that little space.

I'll have to check on the traction control. If it is installed then I should have a cut-off switch somewhere if it's anything like other Ford products I'm familiar with.

I thought all MMs had ABS?
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

Brian Guest
    Marauders produced after October 07, 2002 come with Traction Control standard and a temporary "mini-spare" standard. Marauders equipped with Traction Control have an on/off button on the left side IP applique, next to the adjustable pedal switch.

Marauders produced prior to that date were not available with Traction Control, and has a spare tire that was an unpolished road wheel with a front tire mounted.

Both the brake control hardware and software differ between the ABS-only vehicles and the ABS/TC vehicles.

Note that the Traction Control software is "tuned" to detect when a spare tire is attached to the rear end, and that tuning takes into account the lower total tractive force of the mini-spare tire patch when intervening with a traction control event with spare tire mounted in the rear. In other words, the Traction Control software is specifically tuned with for the mini-spare assembly, not the front tire size spare assembly.
    Last edited by Brian; 11-13-2002 at 11:39 AM.

Brian to the rescue, again!

So basically...by waiting 4 months...some of us could have not only saved $5k (luckily, it's not that much for me) AND could have received TC...but, got a mini-spare...

"The early bird..."

I don't really see the big deal on removing the spare. Did you all read the directions? You're supposed to reach UNDER the rim, not over... From under the rim you can grab the thing that holds it down and turn it untill it comes free. Only compliant I have, is do they think they coulda maybe made the threads a WEE BIT THICKER so it unscrews a lil faster...

And regaurding the rim used for the spare, I'd actually like to get three more and use those for winter rims. Eash to clean the winter road grime, no polishing, etc...

As for TC, all I gotta say is, what for?!?! On top of hitting a button to take OD off, now you gotta hit ANOTHER button to take TC off. That would cut WAY too much into my "play time!"

I may be singing a different tune come first real snow storm, but personally I'm glad I don't have TC on my sled. Our winters out here aren't all that bad and I got by just fine with my '97 TBird V8 Sport, and it didn't have TC either.

Now, saving $5k on the sticker price...? That I could have lived with.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Fourth

I paid a flat $29K for mine. Merc dealers are hungry!

Originally posted by grzellmer
    I paid a flat $29K for mine. Merc dealers are hungry!
    You really know how to hurt a guy. In truth, I knew what I was doing. I knew that by not waiting I was going to pay way too much, but I decided to go for it anyway. Probably kind of stupid, but I don't really regret it.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Sounds like that full size spare may make it easier to distinguse early MM's from later 03 MM's?
    2003 (#867 of #7839) 300A Marauder
    #23 MercuryMarauder.net member
    6/7/02 Build Date
    6/17/02 Purchased
    IL Plate MARAWDR
    35%Tint All Around
    Z&M Control Arms
    Real AutoMeter Oil Gauge
    Marauder Hats in rear window
    Rear Bumper Gray Decals
    Trunk Organizer
    OEM Frt Splash Guards
    ProGuard
    Weathershield Marauder Cover
    2XL Marader Jacket
    McGard Wheel Locks
    Marauder Billet Pedals
    Marauder Door Sills
    Denso Plugs IT20's
    8/3/03 Dyno 260.4 RWHP/291.3 Torque

Yeah, and the button on the dash for the traction control.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    The newer production cars still have a trac-loc rear. i know Traction control also affects some engine function, like fuel delivery, lowers torque, but really, what is the advantage of it since the car already has limited slip?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information