Thread: i need a coilover spring!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

i need a coilover spring!

so i just had new front tires put on today, which i put off until the steel belts were showing because I AM BROKE! and the mechanic pointed out that my driver side coilover spring is broken, near the bottom, and im slightly concened on if i should be looking to get new coilovers or can i wait until im back working? also, my rear brake pads are near completely gone, so im going to need rear pads too. i thought that the brake pads had something that made them start to squeal when they got low? i never heard anything. i do some searching on here for brake pads, i know its been discussed a lot. thanks guys.

Most brake pads have a metal tab that contacts the rotor when the stopping material has worn to a certain point.

For the front spring....... the longer you let it go the more damage it could cause.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

The fronts are not coilovers, that's an adjustable system strut/spring system. Our is a MacPherson strut setup, coil spring and strut combined in one unit. Check rockauto.com to see how much a new front coil spring would be. With brake pads, those wear squeal metal tabs sometimes don't come on discount brand brake pads.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    The fronts are not coilovers, that's an adjustable system strut/spring system. Our is a MacPherson strut setup, coil spring and strut combined in one unit. Check rockauto.com to see how much a new front coil spring would be. With brake pads, those wear squeal metal tabs sometimes don't come on discount brand brake pads.
    Yes they are coilovers. Coilovers do not have to be adjustable though many of the aftermarket ones are.

A strut locates the suspension as well as carries the weight of the vehicle. Within strut style suspensions the MacPherson version is a very specific set up that Ford hasn't used since the Tempo went out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by EMAS View Post
    Yes they are coilovers. Coilovers do not have to be adjustable though many of the aftermarket ones are.

A strut locates the suspension as well as carries the weight of the vehicle. Within strut style suspensions the MacPherson version is a very specific set up that Ford hasn't used since the Tempo went out of production.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

A coilover is not to be confused with the shock absorber and spring setup (strut); coilovers are totally independent and do not require extra parts e.g. bumpstops, ball Joints, spring cushions etc. Many people state that they are the same but this is a busted myth, hence the reason that high performance cars use independent coilovers to increase road grip, handling and comfort. On a lower budget, people will install a 'lowering kit' consisting of a spring that is of different measurement in length (mm) and fit aftermarket shock absorbers to increase comfort and handling on tighter corners where body roll may hinder performance. Coilovers come adjustable or a fixed length and normally bolt straight to a car instead of using tools (spring compressors) to fit a shock absorber and a spring to. While they are generally more expensive (up to 90% more), they still offer the greatest amount of comfort and handling compared to the earlier, strut-mounted type.
    The front suspension on the Panther platform is a Macpherson strut.
    Last edited by ctrlraven; 11-30-2012 at 10:20 PM.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

The front suspension on the Panther platform is a Macpherson strut.
    Did you even read the mostly incorrect wiki entry? The a couple of the factual points are "It consists of a shock absorber with a coil spring encircling it." and "Coilovers should not be confused with struts or independently mounted shock absorbers."

Have you even looked under your car? If you did you'll see that it looks nothing like the picture you included which is a strut type suspension but not a MacPherson strut suspension. Another factual point from wiki "MacPherson strut suspension system, which is distinguished from other arrangements by employing a particular design of anti-roll bar as a longitudinal constraint." See the patent http://www.google.com/patents?id=Qup...949%2F&f=false and you'll see since it uses a lower radius rod to provide fore aft location of the lower control arm it is not a MacPherson strut suspension since in a MacPherson strut suspension it is the anti-roll bar that does that function.

Panther front suspension note the upper control arms that are the upper locating device.

But a strut suspension does not need the coil spring mounted to the dampener, see the Fox front suspension which is a strut type suspension since the dampener does locate the suspension but the coil spring is mounted on the lower control arm as pictured below.

There are even strut style suspensions that use torsion bars as the spring component such as the Porsche 911 pictured below.

Quote Originally Posted by EMAS View Post
    Did you even read the mostly incorrect wiki entry? The a couple of the factual points are "It consists of a shock absorber with a coil spring encircling it." and "Coilovers should not be confused with struts or independently mounted shock absorbers."

Have you even looked under your car? If you did you'll see that it looks nothing like the picture you included which is a strut type suspension but not a MacPherson strut suspension. Another factual point from wiki "MacPherson strut suspension system, which is distinguished from other arrangements by employing a particular design of anti-roll bar as a longitudinal constraint." See the patent http://www.google.com/patents?id=Qup...949%2F&f=false and you'll see since it uses a lower radius rod to provide fore aft location of the lower control arm it is not a MacPherson strut suspension since in a MacPherson strut suspension it is the anti-roll bar that does that function.

Panther front suspension note the upper control arms that are the upper locating device.

But a strut suspension does not need the coil spring mounted to the dampener, see the Fox front suspension which is a strut type suspension since the dampener does locate the suspension but the coil spring is mounted on the lower control arm as pictured below.

There are even strut style suspensions that use torsion bars as the spring component such as the Porsche 911 pictured below.
    Yes I can read thank you and I was being general as which the picture is GENERAL as well since there is alternatives and variants to suspension types due to unibody vs full frame, FF/FWD vs MR/RWD vs RR/RWD. I never said the picture that was posted was of the Panther setup, again being general. I've looked plenty under my car as I turn my own wrench as much as possible when I do not need a lift.

whitey, rockauto.com has front Moog springs (sold in pairs only) for like $60, Advance wants $110 for the same item.
    Last edited by ctrlraven; 11-30-2012 at 11:30 PM.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

Rear pads are cheap and easy to install. Wagner ceramics on ebay are only $30! Rotors are cheap these days and turning them is even cheaper! You can do it! Get a service manual if in doubt.
    Last edited by tbone; 11-30-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Broken springs are way more common than most know. It will be fine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thanks everybody.....emas and Ctrlraven, my head just exploded, now kiss and make up...

Thread Information