Thread: 4R70W New Questions, Too Many Questions

Question 4R70W New Questions, Too Many Questions

Ok Marauderers, I recently went to a transmission parts store to ask about the 4R70W transmission and for mods that can be done and the so called "tune" for the transmission but his answers cause me more doubts than answers so this are my questions for the pros here in this area.

1) ¿I can do a tunes with the Xcal to a complete stock 4R70W transmission without replace internal parts?

2)¿Do I have to replace the stock clutches of the 4R70W transmission when I do the changes in tuning the tranny for more firmer shifts I mean racing clutches?

3)¿what is the function of the torque converter in a 4R70W transmission?

For now these are the questions that block my mind, I was thinking in buy the new SCT Xcalibrator SF9415 from BOC but due to this ???? I prefeer to consult the tech pros here, for the time to read.

STRYKER.
    GOLD P74 INTERCEPTOR, A NEW PANTHER IN TOWN.

Stryker,
    Not a pro, but a consumer here.

1) An Xcal 2 SF will allow you to adjust shift firmness from the handheld tuner. If you get the xcal from Dennis (like I did) or Lidio, the shifts will be better timed and firmer due to their tune. You can adjust from there.

2) No, you don't have to replace the clutches. However, I am extremely pleased with my Art Carr L2 kit which included new clutches. I ran with just the tuner for a year and had fun with it. The new improved tranny is even more fun.

3) The function of a torque converter is the same in every automatic tranny. Simply, it takes energy from the motor, turns it into fluid energy, then the fluid energy is used to turn the tranny gears. Basically, it performs the same type of function as you feathering the clutch in a stick shift. You don't need a different torque converter. However, higher stall converters let the motor come closer to it's ideal RPM for more power before the fluid energy is given to the gears.

Hope this helps. There are folks who know way more and could give details, but I think you should get and Xcal2 SF from Dennis Reinhart and start there. You'll learn a lot by using it and Dennis's base tune is fun.

Good luck.
    Rich
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

Quote Originally Posted by magindat View Post
    Stryker,

1) An Xcal 2 SF will allow you to adjust shift firmness from the handheld tuner. If you get the xcal from Dennis (like I did) or Lidio, the shifts will be better timed and firmer due to their tune. You can adjust from there.

2) No, you don't have to replace the clutches. However, I am extremely pleased with my Art Carr L2 kit which included new clutches. I ran with just the tuner for a year and had fun with it. The new improved tranny is even more fun.

3) The function of a torque converter is the same in every automatic tranny. Simply, it takes energy from the motor, turns it into fluid energy, then the fluid energy is used to turn the tranny gears. Basically, it performs the same type of function as you feathering the clutch in a stick shift. You don't need a different torque converter. However, higher stall converters let the motor come closer to it's ideal RPM for more power before the fluid energy is given to the gears.

Hope this helps. There are folks who know way more and could give details, but I think you should get and Xcal2 SF from Dennis Reinhart and start there. You'll learn a lot by using it and Dennis's base tune is fun.

Good luck.
    Rich
    +1..................
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by stryker View Post
    ¿I can do a tunes with the Xcal to a complete stock 4R70W transmission without replace internal parts?
    Yes.

¿Do I have to replace the stock clutches of the 4R70W transmission when I do the changes in tuning the tranny for more firmer shifts I mean racing clutches?
    No.

¿what is the function of the torque converter in a 4R70W transmission?
    Read this.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Start with an xcalibrator 2 with a tune purchased from one of our site vendors. Both Lidio and Dennis Reinhart do excellent work. I went for a year stock then added a DR tune. Can't ever imagine going back to stock. Shifts are firmer and quicker. I only have experience with the tuner on a Marauder, but I imagine it would help out a stock Grand Marquis/Crown Vic quite a bit.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by magindat View Post
    Stryker,

However, I am extremely pleased with my Art Carr L2 kit which included new clutches.
    ¿What is the Art Carr L2 Kit,which parts form that kit?

STRYKER.

Ok Mangs, I buy the PA tranny Pan and a Motorcraft filter plus the next tranny fluid will be with the same as last flushing, Valvoline MerconV in that flushing I will change filter and install the tranny pan,pics will be posted during and after the job was done so wait for it.

STRYKER

Thread Information