Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Purchasing a Crown Vic

Thinking of Purchasing a Crown Vic

I know this is a Marauder but the Crown Vic is the same thing. I have consider purchasing one just to tool around in. I know most of the cop cars have high miledge on them etc. so its gonna be in need of a motor.

I though about swapping in a 03-04 Cobra motor, but Id have to notch the frame because of the alternator. I have read about the Aluminator, but I've also seen the 5.0 Cammer Engine, but its 22K for that motor, can't really see myself paying 22G for a motor that's gonna go in a 2-5G car at most maybe slightly more.

I just need some Idea's I wanna stick with a 4.6L 4v DOHC for sure though. I could always swap in a Marauder engine, but Idk, I rather just build one.

I have seen some people get the MMR Block and stroke it out to a 5.3L, I am really just looking to daily drive it etc, I ain't really looking to race it. although I may get the itch to.

I am really confused, I am gonna look at my options a little more closely first. I am gonna check out MMR and some other places, Sean Hyland, makes some decent motor as well.

Where can I get a stock Crown Vic Marauder Intake manifold I wanna make it look factory.

First off they are not "the same" and you're lucky I got to you first before actual Marauder owners. True they are both Panther cars but the Marauder has a DOHC 4.6 while the Vic only has SOHC. The Marauder also has different suspension, interior etc... to name the least.

Anyway Carefully consider what you want to do with that Vic. Trick Flow just introduced a set of Twisted Wedge SOHC cylinder heads so depending on what year Vic you get Perhaps a P.I. intake swap and a set of those with a set of cams, gears and a good converter would be sufficient for daily driver without the $10,000 price tag especially if you do the work your self.
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

Im not even going to comment on the "they are the same" comment.

But....

Boston mike has a nice DOHC 4.6 out of a marauder up by you that would be a good swap.

2003 Marauder - Ebony
    2006 CVPI P71 - Ivory

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Direct Vent Injection
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    You're so far back in the closet you can see what's going on in Narnia.

I am looking at the newer Vics kinda, 03-7 Version, I could pick one up for a decent price. I know the marauder has a different motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillen GLE View Post
    I know the marauder has a different motor.

....... and like everything else.

2003 Marauder - Ebony
    2006 CVPI P71 - Ivory

Direct Vent Injection

2003 + is the way to go. They actually have the the motor from the 99+ Mustang GT, if you find a police car good chances it would have a 3.73 gear too. Then all you would need is the heads cams converter all the regular bolt on and you would put over 300HP to the wheels without a real hefty price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007VistaBlueGT View Post
    2003 + is the way to go. They actually have the the motor from the 99+ Mustang GT, if you find a police car good chances it would have a 3.73 gear too. Then all you would need is the heads cams converter all the regular bolt on and you would put over 300HP to the wheels without a real hefty price tag.
    Actually the CVPI's only come with a 3.27 or 3.55 from the factory. Available with and without Trac-lock. You won't find a CVPI with 3.73's unless someone swapped them in

2004 Jaguar S-Type R
    Retired: 2003 CVPI
    Retired: 2000 CVPI

Quote Originally Posted by offroadking208 View Post
    Actually the CVPI's only come with a 3.27 or 3.55 from the factory. Available with and without Trac-lock. You won't find a CVPI with 3.73's unless someone swapped them in
    I'll take your word for it but I'm sure in the Ford master equipment catalog for fleet vehicles I've seen a 3.73 option for police, just like most specs say they had a 224HP motor but I've also seen 250HP.... now if I could just find that catalog in this mess somewhere.
    Last edited by SpartaPerformance; 10-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.

lol, my dad has been the quartermaster for the department here in town for 10 years now. i've been going through police fleet magazines and order forms for these cars for as long as he's worked there you can get a 3.27 with or without Trac-Lock or a 3.55 with or without trac-lock. The civilian Crown Vics could be had with a higher gear set for better fuel economy, but you dont want that for performance. I'd say to go for a 2004 if you can. No drive by wire if you decide to keep the stock engine, and no problems that are usually in the 2003's. The 2004's are usually accepted as being the best year, with the highest output (all 2004's and newer have 250hp due to having the MZT from the factory ), no drive by wire, and the best tune from the factory

2004 Jaguar S-Type R
    Retired: 2003 CVPI
    Retired: 2000 CVPI

Quote Originally Posted by offroadking208 View Post
    lol, my dad has been the quartermaster for the department here in town for 10 years now. i've been going through police fleet magazines and order forms for these cars for as long as he's worked there you can get a 3.27 with or without Trac-Lock or a 3.55 with or without trac-lock. The civilian Crown Vics could be had with a higher gear set for better fuel economy, but you dont want that for performance. I'd say to go for a 2004 if you can. No drive by wire if you decide to keep the stock engine, and no problems that are usually in the 2003's. The 2004's are usually accepted as being the best year, with the highest output (all 2004's and newer have 250hp due to having the MZT from the factory ), no drive by wire, and the best tune from the factory
    I agree about the 3.27 and 3.55 gears and going with a 2004.And the good part is if you go with a 2004 dropping in a MM motor is a heck of a lot easier.matter of fact one of our members here has a nice motor for sale at a quite reasonable price.He kinda got stuck because everybody urged him to buy his wrecked MM back so they could buy the parts and somebody backed out on the motor leaving him hanging.
    I've seen fairly decent (maybe needing some paint work and a really good cleaning) 2004's near me at auction for $3000 -$4000 in good mechanical condition.
    Or you can buy a high mileage MM for less than $10K and down the line rebuild the motor and beef it up when you have more $ saved up and enjoy Maraudering in the mean time.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLar View Post
    I agree about the 3.27 and 3.55 gears and going with a 2004.And the good part is if you go with a 2004 dropping in a MM motor is a heck of a lot easier.matter of fact one of our members here has a nice motor for sale at a quite reasonable price.He kinda got stuck because everybody urged him to buy his wrecked MM back so they could buy the parts and somebody backed out on the motor leaving him hanging.
    I've seen fairly decent (maybe needing some paint work and a really good cleaning) 2004's near me at auction for $3000 -$4000 in good mechanical condition.
    Or you can buy a high mileage MM for less than $10K and down the line rebuild the motor and beef it up when you have more $ saved up and enjoy Maraudering in the mean time.

Yep..... you should buy it, hes a good dude.

Quote Originally Posted by -MM-Matt- View Post
    Im not even going to comment on the "they are the same" comment.

But....

Boston mike has a nice DOHC 4.6 out of a marauder up by you that would be a good swap.

2003 Marauder - Ebony
    2006 CVPI P71 - Ivory

Direct Vent Injection

If I were going to do a vic up, Trick Flow heads, Edelbrock intake, a set of cams, you should be somewhere in the 350HP range at the wheels, and, it will be dependable to boot. A blown DOHC is a lot more fun though....
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Thanks guys' I may go with a MM Built motor. It be nice to get the cammer motor, but that's crazy for 22G.

If they are the same thing then I payed waaay too much! I guess I shoulda done more research...
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I was in the same boat....until I test drove a Marauder. Same platform but suspension....motor combo are different. For roughly the same price you can find a Marauder.

I believe the Marauder is the perfect platform to build up.

4.6 DOHC 32V 10.1cr - Check
    High stall Converter - Check
    3.55 Gears - Check
    High Flow Air Box w/ 80MM MAF - Check - BTW I sold mine used to the CV folks for $150/ they buy them new for $239/$300
    Coil Overs by Tokico's - Check
    Larger Diameter Disc Brakes F/R - Check
    18" Polished Rims - Check
    ......I think you get it. With a little mods you can get your MM to the mid 14s.

BTW I was looking at a 2004 Crown Vic Sport LX w/Moon Roof for $12.5 or the Marauder for $11.5 in November 2007.

Good luck bud.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    FRPP BOSS50 Block w/MMR 900S Stroker 5.3L DOHC 324ci 10:1cr - (321rwhp/360.5rwtq) - Tuned by AED

2006 Ford Mustang GT
    FRPP FR3 Handling Pack|FRPP X Pipe w/GTA Exhaust|Steeda CAI|Hurst Shifter
    (289rwhp/307rwtq)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LQ4 6.0L LT 4WD
    Cognito leveling Kit, Fox 2.0, BFG KOA2 Radial All Terrains, Magnaflow, K&N and 4.10 gears

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information