Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4l80e transmission question..

So....does anyone here actually have a 6R80 bolted up? I'm running a Trilogy kit w/mods on a stock trans + shift kit. My factory trans is definitely on borrowed time.

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Quote Originally Posted by Taemian View Post
    So....does anyone here actually have a 6R80 bolted up? I'm running a Trilogy kit w/mods on a stock trans + shift kit. My factory trans is definitely on borrowed time.
    Its about $2200 to get the trans built and get a good converter.
    Far cheaper than a 6R swap

A newbe here but looking for feed back , cause was looking at 4l80e then lighning friend said 4r100 has been good for him runs mid 10s any body have experience with them

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Its about $2200 to get the trans built and get a good converter.
    Far cheaper than a 6R swap
    Gotcha, I guess the labour is the big part of it.

A lightly used 6R80 is about $1500, and the Quick 6 System with 6R80 Wiring Harness is $1249. Says the 6R bolts up to a mod motor, but nothing really is that easy, huh?

I figured since the 6R is proven to hold close to 1000hp, that one coming out of a wrecked F150 wouldn't need a rebuild.

MOD HISTORY:
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims

Quote Originally Posted by Taemian View Post
    Gotcha, I guess the labour is the big part of it.

A lightly used 6R80 is about $1500, and the Quick 6 System with 6R80 Wiring Harness is $1249. Says the 6R bolts up to a mod motor, but nothing really is that easy, huh?

I figured since the 6R is proven to hold close to 1000hp, that one coming out of a wrecked F150 wouldn't need a rebuild.
    $1500 is a lot for a 6R80 out of an F150. The more than likely range you would be paying for one is between $500(higher miles) and $1000 (lower miles) with some extremely low miles one in the area of $1500.

You also forgot to add in the price of the driveshaft which was around $1050 for me. Pretty sure it would be the same price for others wanting to go the same route.

And It really does bolt right up. Now you do need a couple of new things like longer trans to engine bolts, 5.0 flexplate, new flexplate bolts, four torque converter to flexplate nuts, trans mount nuts and that spacer in between the trans and engine which can all easily be found on a ford site.

Biggest hurdle one would have had was getting the 6R to work with the stock transmission cross-member but I found out that is pretty simple also. By simply cutting out the top of the cross-member where the 4R once sat and flipping it around the 6R falls in place PERFECT. I struggled trying to make my own transmission mount, got tired of messing with it ordered a 2011 F-150 trans mount to see how it would work and to my surprise it worked perfectly. Drill two holes for your new trans mount and you are done wit the cross-member.
    If it's cheap and reliable it isn't fast
    If it's cheap and fast it isn't reliable
    If it's fast and reliable it isn't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by blkZooM View Post
    $1500 is a lot for a 6R80 out of an F150. The more than likely range you would be paying for one is between $500(higher miles) and $1000 (lower miles) with some extremely low miles one in the area of $1500.

You also forgot to add in the price of the driveshaft which was around $1050 for me. Pretty sure it would be the same price for others wanting to go the same route.

And It really does bolt right up. Now you do need a couple of new things like longer trans to engine bolts, 5.0 flexplate, new flexplate bolts, four torque converter to flexplate nuts, trans mount nuts and that spacer in between the trans and engine which can all easily be found on a ford site.

Biggest hurdle one would have had was getting the 6R to work with the stock transmission cross-member but I found out that is pretty simple also. By simply cutting out the top of the cross-member where the 4R once sat and flipping it around the 6R falls in place PERFECT. I struggled trying to make my own transmission mount, got tired of messing with it ordered a 2011 F-150 trans mount to see how it would work and to my surprise it worked perfectly. Drill two holes for your new trans mount and you are done wit the cross-member.

My TR6060 has a fixed flange and I only paid $850 or so for my Driveshaft Shop C.V. shaft? I sent the coyote swap guy to them and he paid the same as far as I know. Why was yours $200 more? Different vender?

IIRC It was their GT500 upgrade shaft but lengthened around 10”. I know she’s a tight fit! I measured for it right to a 32nds of an inch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by blkZooM View Post

Sorry, I live up in Canada, that was in Canadian dollars. The exchange rate is about 75 cents right now, and yes I was looking at low to very low mileage units.

Thanks for all that info, the mount adaptation is awesome news!

MOD HISTORY:
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    -Widened rims

What exactly is Input Torque? The amount a trans can safely handle from the engine?

According to these specs, there is only about 30 ft/lbs of difference between our stock trans and the 6r80.

http://www.f150hub.com/trans/4r75w.html

http://www.f150hub.com/trans/6r80.html

MOD HISTORY:
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    -Widened rims

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    My TR6060 has a fixed flange and I only paid $850 or so for my Driveshaft Shop C.V. shaft? I sent the coyote swap guy to them and he paid the same as far as I know. Why was yours $200 more? Different vender?

IIRC It was their GT500 upgrade shaft but lengthened around 10”. I know she’s a tight fit! I measured for it right to a 32nds of an inch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Inflation maybe? Not to sure, I swore the coyote swap guy stated he was at $1000 for his with shipping. Also same vender.
    If it's cheap and reliable it isn't fast
    If it's cheap and fast it isn't reliable
    If it's fast and reliable it isn't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
    Question for those with 4L80. What did you do with the shifter? I retained the stock shifter but feel it could be better. Curious what others have done.
    Anybody? Still curious.
    2003 budget built marauder-LM7 5.3 SBE 4L80E VS racing 78/75 turbo and other things
    1.56 60' 6.80 1/8 @ 104 mph 10.5 1/4 @129 mph
    #BSTDMRC #LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER
    Instagram -
    Cheapthrillb2
    lsswappedmarauder

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    I have a Hughes 4L80E but its still in the crate , as mentioned CWright ran a 4L80E it transformed the way the car drove and shifted , the 4L80E or the 6R80 are your best options.
    I am curious about this. How did the 4L80E transform the way the car drove and shift? What was the experience?

Anybody? Still curious.

There is only 1 person who did the swap and he sold the car to another member so doubtful you are going to get info that you seek
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I have a 4L80 in my car. I took the gate locks out of the shifter in the console and made a bracket to attach the oem cable to the trans. It's not very clean. Just curious what others have done.
    2003 budget built marauder-LM7 5.3 SBE 4L80E VS racing 78/75 turbo and other things
    1.56 60' 6.80 1/8 @ 104 mph 10.5 1/4 @129 mph
    #BSTDMRC #LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER
    Instagram -
    Cheapthrillb2
    lsswappedmarauder

I have a 4L80 in my car. I took the gate locks out of the shifter in the console and made a bracket to attach the oem cable to the trans. It's not very clean. Just curious what others have done.

there are no "others" there is one..
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Did Cam keep the OEM floor shifter on his full LS swap?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information