Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Rebuild

Engine Rebuild

I want to lead off by reminding you that this post is not designed to attack anyone/member but simply gain advice for my issue. Any negative feedback towards them or myself will not be entertained. Three weeks ago I created my procharger build thread project for the sake of "fitting in" with the forum and pleasing certain s/c'd individuals. During this project, there were no known issues with my car other than my horn and my only past related repair were the timing guides and tensioners. So recently, I delivered my car to a member on here for the 96-98 cobra timing cover and cam over swaps. The swap took about 4 days to complete with no issues to report from my installer. My installer claimed to have went through all the proper checkup procedures before I picked the car up and even then nothing was reported. On my way home (60-70mph) from my installers home, (25 miles away) I experienced some hesitation as if I needed new plugs or cops. As I approached the upcoming traffic, the car suddenly developed a consistent hesitation and backfiring as I decreased speed. Once I've reached a point in traffic were it was stop and go, the car died on me. (embarrassing moment especially during traffic hours) so immediately I attempted to start my car but it struggled to crank over. Once it cranked over, I was lucky to pull to the shoulder of the road to search for any visible issues. There were no leaks, no smoke, and nothing looked loose under the hood. Since I was 5-10 minutes from my home at that time of need, I was blessed to limp home. Remind you, this was exactly 30minutes after I left my mechanic. Gave him a call to pinpoint an issue and unfortunately he was not able to help over the phone. I allowed the car to sit over night and scheduled a drop off time for next morning. Fast forward to his home the next morning, the car felt like it didn't want to go and it had a consistent knocking during acceleration. It felt as if the trans was slipping or I had an open exhaust. (Loss of power) Once I stopped in front of his home, the car had a faint knock, rattle noise and vibration under the hood. I left soon after that to let him diagnose the car. So days later, after the removal of the covers again, a compression test was done, oil pan was removed to inspect the crank and other procedures. His discoveries were the passenger side upper timing guide had broken off and within the oil pan, he discovered that broken timing guide and another timing guide. (replaced last may by another member) Fast toward to yesterday, I received a disturbing phone call from him saying the knocking is still there even though new guides and metal tensioners were installed. So I guess its safe to say I've recently joined the individuals who now needs an engine rebuild due to either age of my engine 127,XXX or mechanical negligence. I know its going to be hard to determine the cause of my loss but can anyone add other ways to diagnose my engine without a tear down. I have another well reputable member helping me with a marauder block but before I move forward with a replacement or rebuild, I want to use all possible options of diagnosing it.

Thank you

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    It would be impossible to diagnose what actually went wrong without having the car in front of you , guides, and chains could have been defective , installation could have been half azzed , install of the front cover shouldn't have effected the engine , but who knows what was done , or not done properly.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

When I had your engine apart, it looked neglected.
    The additional timing guide he found was the one that had broken off before you brought it to me.
    I forget, had you brought me Ford brand guides and tensioners?

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    It would be impossible to diagnose what actually went wrong without having the car in front of you , guides, and chains could have been defective , installation could have been half azzed , install of the front cover shouldn't have effected the engine , but who knows what was done , or not done properly.
    I got to see all of the pictures.
    Install looked perfect, but I suspect it was plain bad luck that caused a failure

This truly sucks cer , but at this point the most important thing is getting the engine properly rebuilt, hit me up if you need anything.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    When I had your engine apart, it looked neglected.
    The additional timing guide he found was the one that had broken off before you brought it to me.
    I forget, had you brought me Ford brand guides and tensioners?
    When we spoke, you told me that it looked good for supercharging. But maybe that was then.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    This truly sucks cer , but at this point the most important thing is getting the engine properly rebuilt, hit me up if you need anything.
    I hope you have unlimited mobile to mobile because I'm going to bug the fack out of you.
    Last edited by cer0413; 04-01-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cer0413 View Post
    When we spoke, you told me that it looked good for supercharging. You also said that on my engine ticking thread. But maybe that was then.

I hope you have unlimited mobile to mobile because I'm going to bug the fack out of you.
    Huh? What's that? I was sleeping and missed your call , stay by the phone I'll call you right back! lol
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

When we spoke, you told me that it looked good for supercharging. But maybe that was then.
    It did and it still does. On a scale of how it was maintained, I'd give it a 6 out of 10

Could it have jumped time and bent some valves? How was the last compression test? Leak down test done?

I have a max effort short block at the machine shop now that I have decided not to use, I'm gonna stay at 392hp vs upgrade every drive train component. I'll be selling it when it's done if you have to go that route
    03 Marauder 300a
    392 hp / 406 tq

any experiences with these guys?
    http://mhpengines.com/46_shortblock

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

This sounds very similar to when I lost my first Marauder engine. The cams seized and caused the drivers side chains to brake. Did you have an oil change before driving the car home? I will try to find the link that described the problem that I had.
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=91448
    Last edited by merc; 04-01-2016 at 01:44 PM.

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Quote Originally Posted by merc View Post
    This sounds very similar to when I lost my first Marauder engine. The cams seized and caused the drivers side chains to brake. Did you have an oil change before driving the car home? I will try to find the link that described the problem that I had.
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=91448
    The oil was drained but added back in after the cover swaps.

Build# 1979/3214
    Year 2004
    300B
    Ext. DTR
    Int. Dark Char
    FINALLY BOOSTED!!!

any experiences with these guys?
    http://mhpengines.com/46_shortblock
    No but mine will be on par with that last piece they have, Teksid block, Kellogg Crank, 4340 H-beams with ARP 2000 bolts, Arp main studs, side bolts, and head studs, Wiseco pistons (10.5:1)...
    03 Marauder 300a
    392 hp / 406 tq

Honestly, without seeing it any decent mechanic could not give you the answers you are looking for. If you had Zack look at it / work on it I am sure he did the work correctly. Unfortunately sometimes poop happens even after every precaution has been taken. I would not skimp on your rebuild. Take your time, spend the money to do it right, do your research so that you know you are getting a quality job.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

No good deed goes unpunished.
    Last edited by Lowndex; 04-01-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread Information