Thread: Kvr Vs. Tce Vs. Bear Front Brake Kit

Kvr Vs. Tce Vs. Bear Front Brake Kit

Her is the deal on the KVR from DR.

Ok these are brand new Rotors they are two piece directional rotors, the hats are aluminum they come in blue black silver or red, they are cross drilled or gas slotted, this is a complete kit. Front rotors, both front and rear Stainless steel brake lines Crabon fiber pads Synthetic brake fluid, the rear rotors are 90.00 apiece the carbon fiber pads are 70.00 if you buy the front kit from KVR its 1700.00 I will sel it for 1600.00 if I can get a group buy going I will drop this to 1450.00 if you want a complete kit for all four wheels its 1650.00

Now I feel this is very good kit I like the looks of the Bear kit, till KVR came out with this kit, with the Bear kit many members here have had issues with the rotors warping and some members have waited six weeks or more on the Bear kit. Also there is very little clearence in between the Bear front calper and the rim so that the factory wheel weights will not clear they do with the KVR kit

So its what ever you want, I can get these kits right away they come with a full warranty and I really like the looks of this kit the rear rotors are plated.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Dennis

TCE Info

TCE Info

This is a front kit only. I feel replacing the fronts only is just fine since over 70% of the stopping goes on up there. Heres info straight from the horses mouth. Read

FRONT Brake Kit
    Vehicle application: Mercury Marauder '03+

Description: A six piston caliper and custom rotor kit to fit stock wheels offering a modest variety of rotor finishes. Alternate use on Marquis and Crown Vic?

Rotor size I: 13.1 Directional vane
    Rotor size II:
    Rotor width I: 1.10
    Rotor width II:

Calipers, base: BSL6n
    Calipers, optional I: Varied depending upon wheels
    Calipers, optional II:
    Calipers, optional III:

Base kits: Street Sport
    13.1 x 1.10 with BSL6n calipers $1250

Notes: Alternate, larger kits on 14" rotors and utilizing new Wiwood calipers are in the works. Costs are estimated to be starting at $1500. Available in late 2003. Kit adds 1/16" spacer to each side for wheel clearance, included.

Installation level: 1 ( easiest)
    Pads included: Yes. Q pads unless alternates ordered. Up charge applies.
    Hoses included: Yes. Fronts only.
    Rear kit available: Not at this time. Under development.

Options list/price (per kit)
    Gas slot rotors $55
    Zinc plate rotors $65
    Drill or drill and slot rotors $125
    Earl’s Solo Bleeders $20

TCE with photo

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 width=496 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><CENTER></CENTER>FRONT Brake Kit Vehicle application: Mercury Marauder '03+

Description: A six piston caliper and custom rotor kit to fit stock wheels offering a modest variety of rotor finishes. Alternate use on Marquis and Crown Vic?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=250 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=100>Rotor size I:</TD><TD>13.1 Directional vane</TD></TR><TR><TD width=100>Rotor size II:</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD width=100>Rotor width I:</TD><TD>1.10</TD></TR><TR><TD width=100>Rotor width II:</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=125>Calipers, base:</TD><TD width=45>BSL6n</TD><TD width=204></TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Calipers, optional I:</TD><TD width=45></TD><TD width=204>Varied depending upon wheels </TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Calipers, optional II:</TD><TD width=45></TD><TD width=204></TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Calipers, optional III:</TD><TD width=45></TD><TD width=204></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=65>Base kits:</TD><TD width=267>Street Sport</TD><TD align=right width=50></TD></TR><TR><TD width=65></TD><TD width=267>13.1 x 1.10 with BSL6n calipers </TD><TD align=right width=50>$1279</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Notes: Alternate, larger kits on 14" rotors and utilizing new Wiwood calipers are in the works. Costs are estimated to be starting at $1500. Available in late 2003. Kit adds 1/16" spacer to each side for wheel clearance, included.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=460 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=110>Installation level:</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD width=110>Pads included:</TD><TD>Q pads.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=110>Hoses included:</TD><TD>Fronts.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=110>Rear kit available:</TD><TD>Special order only. Call for details.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=390 colSpan=3>Options list/price (per kit)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=10 rowSpan=4></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=329>Gas slot rotors</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=35>$55</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=329>Zinc plate rotors</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=35>$65</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=329>Drill or drill and slot rotors</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=35>$125</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=329>Earl’s Solo Bleeders</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width=35>$20</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<CENTER>
    <HR>

</CENTER><CENTER><CENTER></CENTER></CENTER>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Is there a question here?

The TCE use the following:

13 inch rotor 1.1 inches wide
    6 piston fixed calliper anodized black
    2 piece hat and rotor
    Ceramic brake pads
    braided hoses and all hardware to install on stock wheel except brake fluid

price sale 1149.00 normal 1279.00

KVR uses the following

14 inch rotor (what is the thickness)
    2 piston floating calliper(painted or anodized don't know)
    2 PC. hat and rotor
    Brake pads (what kind)
    braided hoses and all hardware including syn. fluid.

Baer

what do they have and how much?

I have been told that the six piston fixed calliper is much better than our stock floating set up.

Let me know what you guys know about this subject and your opnion.

Thanks, Greg (maraudernkc)

I havent had any issues with my baer's. The people I bought them from send you everything but new brake lines (which you can buy seperetly from Todd@TCE), but is not nessecery (Sgt Mac and slowpoke like them though).
    As far as price, PM me if you want, but I dont want to brake the vendor rules. The sizes I dont have handy, I'm sure someone will post them soon.

Are all these systems FIXED calipers like TCE. There is a BIG difference............

Few thoughts for everyone;

The KVR and Baer calipers are both floating PBR parts. In fact I'll wager that aside from the logo they are the same caliper. Likely in the 1.75" bore size or perhaps 1.88". The TCE/Wilwood is the only fixed mount caliper offering opposed piston clamping.

Baer, KVR and TCE all get many of their rotors from the same foundry. They are all about the same- directional vaned and then finished to your order.

All have alum hats- and pretty much the same offsets.

Pads for the PBRs are fairly common but there are no hard stats on what they really are. Pads for the Wilwood are perhaps a bit harder to find but compounds are more balanced to your needs if you work with a proper vendor.

Wheel clearance will always be better with a flaoting caliper. Fixed calipers will always offer quicker clamp and release characteristics.

TCE 14" kits (one still here) will NOT fit stock wheels. But does use a fatter 1.25" rotor. TCE 13" kits clear with the supplie 1/16" spacer.

Speaking more technical;
    The TCE kit is engineered to match stock bias of about 69/31. Whereas other kits with larger rotors and piston area shift bias to the front. This 'can' lead to a nose heavy braking situation and in fact increase brake distances. By way of comparrison, larger 14s with large pistons shift this to about 76/24 thus reducing the effectiveness of the rear brakes. TCE achieves this desired effect by the fit of less piston area when matched to the larger rotor. As a benefit the pedal feel is firmed up and reaction time reduced. When paired with the TCE rear kit we can shift bias back on the car to a nicer 65/35 even depending upon pad tuning. I can suppy more and specific data if asked.

Price to value relationship; this one is simply in the eye of the buyer. ALL the kits listed here will be a nice addition to your MM. Some offer benefits others do not- size, cost, fit, function etc. etc. There is no ONE size fits all with the parts listed.
    Last edited by Todd TCE; 12-28-2004 at 06:26 PM.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

After first read I thought Greg was offering brakes, but after speaking with him in person today this thread makes more sense. He was asking for feedback on the different brake options.

BTW, Greg pulled the KVR info directly out of a post by DR:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...5&postcount=10

Thanks Todd for your comments. I've also spoken with you at length about the Wilwoods, and after 7 months / 9k mlies I can say that I've been completely satisfied with them after they were worked out. See this thread for further comment:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...***.php?t=9951

Although he took my MM for a brief spin today to test drive the brakes, Greg probably had other things on his mind (Procharger dyno day). Greg, your more than welcome to put a few miles on them to see and feel them shine.

- JD

Thread Information