Thread: Another Air Bag Light

Another Air Bag Light

Started the Marauder Sunday, air bag light flashes code 16. checked all connections under seats and light goes off on restart. Leave store to go home light comes back on (code 16). What is code 16?

i dont know what code 16 is but i know a while back i let my girl drive my car, she moved the seat up and next thing i know the airbag light came on, it did this off and on thing for like a week, but hasnt done it since...
    Im almost done(i think)4.10s, K&N Intake, 3000 Stall Converter, Scott Beers Custom Tune, Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Water Pump, 2nd set of Cats removed, Magnaflow Mufflers, Stainless Inserts, 20%Tint, Godshead Treatment, Sylvannia Silver Stars, Clifford 2-way Alarm/Remote Start, Some stereo work...

Yea, this started about a week ago, Light on, check all plugs under seat, light off....days later, light on, check all plugs, light off...NOW light on, check all plugs, light still on, check plugs, light on, repeat, repeat, repeat......You get the idea. ALWAYS flashes code 16 Just trying to get an idea what I'm in for at the Stealership when I take the car in...

code 16 translates to "occupant classification sensor (OCS) circuit fault"
    basically it tells air bag module if someone is in seat, sensor could be bad, possible wire connection.
    It might be covered under the safey restraint coverage, which if I'm right is 5yr/50K

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Thanks alot for the reply If I understand correctly code 1X is pass seat and code 2X is driver seat do you know if this is right?

Quote Originally Posted by CRC View Post
    Thanks alot for the reply If I understand correctly code 1X is pass seat and code 2X is driver seat do you know if this is right?
    that I don't see in manual
    Pinpoint Test G: LFC 16/DTC B2290 — Occupant Classification (OCS) Circuit Fault
    Normal Operation
    The restraints control module (RCM) checks the occupant classification sensor (OCS) system circuits for faults. If the RCM detects one of the following faults on any of the OCS circuits, it will store diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2290 in memory and flash either lamp fault code (LFC) 16 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.
    The OCS system components (seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor, and electronic control unit) are calibrated to each other and are serviced as an assembly. The OCS system components are not to be installed separately. If a new OCS system, OCS system component or seat cushion foam pad are needed, a new OCS system service kit (seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor, and electronic control unit) must be installed as an assembly.
    Fault Conditions
    The RCM monitors for the following fault conditions:
    • Low resistance.
    • Circuit open.
    • Circuit short to voltage.
    • Circuit short to ground.
    Possible Causes
    An occupant classification sensor (OCS) circuit fault can be caused by:
    • Wiring, terminals, or connectors.
    • A faulty OCS system.
    • RCM.
    ****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ****************************** *************************it gets very complicated, this is just one step in many:
    PINPOINT TEST G: LFC 16/DTC B2290 — OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SENSOR (OCS) CIRCUIT FAULT

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="96%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH>Test Step </TH><TH>Result / Action to Take </TH></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>NOTE: To identify between a production OCS system and a service OCS system (OCS service kit) inspect the OCS ECU electrical connector. A production OCS system allows the disconnect of the electrical connector from the OCS ECU. A service OCS system (OCS service kit) has the OCS ECU electrical connector glued to the ECU, it cannot and should not be disconnected or altered. </TD></TR><TR><TD>G1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none"></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>
    • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the diagnostic tool: Retrieve/Flag/Record Continuous DTCs.
    • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the diagnostic tool: On-Demand Self Test.
    • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the diagnostic tool: Flag DTC B2290/Record All Flagged Faults.
    • Was DTC B2290 retrieved during the on-demand self test?

</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP: medium none">Yes
    This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test.

If a flagged fault of "?" was recorded, multiple faults exist and the entire pinpoint test must be carried out.

Vehicles with a production OCS system

For OCS system with a communications fault, GO to G2 .

For OCS system with an internal fault, INSTALL a new OCS system service kit. REFER to Occupant Classification Sensor in this section. GO to G20 .

For OCS system with a calibration fault, INSTALL a new OCS system service kit. REFER to Occupant Classification Sensor in this section. GO to G20 .

For OCS system with a pressure sensor fault, GO to G11 .

Vehicles with a service OCS system

For OCS system with a communications fault, GO to G2 .

For OCS system with an internal fault, INSTALL a new OCS system service kit. REFER to Occupant Classification Sensor in this section. GO to G20 .

For OCS system with a calibration fault, INSTALL a new OCS system service kit. REFER to Occupant Classification Sensor in this section. GO to G20 .

For OCS system with a pressure sensor fault, INSTALL a new OCS system service kit. REFER to Occupant Classification Sensor in this section. GO to G20 .

No
    This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

WOW.......great info thanks!!!!!

A new marauder without all this peripheral equipment could sell for $9999. !!!

Well, got the car back today, code 16 is correct as well as is the need for the OCS service kit (seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor, and electronic control unit).
    Parts $250
    Labor $300
    No Airbag light Priceless!!!

Still a chunk o'change
    Guess I need to wait on Zacks control arms for a month or so.

This is why I bought the platinum extended warranty.

NOS doesn't void crap like this.
    2017 Niro

Oh well Just money

If you take your seat apart can you take and post a pickture of the insdies.

I just want to know if it is possible to relocate the seatbelt socket to the edge of the seat next to the console.

I don't want to take my seat apart and find out I can't put it back together.

Thread Information