Thread: Train ride

Train ride

I am going on vacation and looking forward to my first train ride. I have heard a couple of things like expect up to 10 hours delays because Union Pacific owns the lines on the West coast so their trains take precidence and why dont you fly....its expensive to ride a train....Well good thing I am not going to the West coast so I dont have to find out about the delays first hand and its is very cheap to ride the train.....much cheaper than flying and cheaper that driving. It is only costing me 122 bucks round trip to go from San Antonio to OKC, with a stop in FT. Worth. I hope its not a nightmare.

Have any of you been on a train and care to share your experience?

Mike

P.S. Woo Hoo!! my 2000th post!!!
    Last edited by SID210SA; 01-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

ahh, not me! but that sounds fun! =o

Quote Originally Posted by SID210SA View Post
    I am going on vacation and looking forward to my first train ride.
    The train trip oughta be nice if you are not pressed for time. Its a 450 mile trip or an easy 6+ hour cruise in the Marauder. Looks like your train trip will be closer to 15 hours including about a 4 hour layover in Fort Worth. Of course, you will be able to kick back and read, snack, nap, or whatever on the train. Some seats have electric outlets for laptops or portable DVD players.

I don't have much experience at all on AMTRAK in the states. Took a trip to Philadephia several years ago; but that was only 3 hours with a young son in tow.

Virginia Railway Express (VRE) runs a commuter train into DC but it is usually packed and space limited -- only about an hour.

Took a special "Baseball Train" from Manassas, VA right to Camden Yards in Baltimore, MD. Price included round trip fare, private train and reserved seats at the baseball game. Train departed 30 minutes after the last pitch. That was a fantastic experience all around.

Was booked on the AutoTrain from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL for Marauderville IV in Orlando back in November 2006. Had a sleepette room booked and the MM was going with us. Unfortunately, I got sick and never made that trip.

My longest train trip was in Germany from Heidelberg to Berchtesgaden. You can set your watch from the German train schedule timing. It was about a 9 hour trip and very relaxing. I just enjoyed the scenery. Bad part was no car available at the other end and that got to be a pain for getting around.

Overall best train trip was a "Party Train" from Heidelberg to Bingen on the Rhein River coupled with a Rhein River Cruise up the Rhein to Boppard. The train met us when the boat docked and took us back to Heidelberg. The trip was all inclusive and included ALL the beer and wine you could drink. It is a wonder that we didn't have folks falling off the train or the boat.

Bottomline is that I wouldn't worry about the train. Have fun and enjoy the trip. It will be whatever you make it.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 01-10-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

A train ride is something I think everyone should do at least once in their life, they normally arent as crowded like planes are and the views are incredible from what I have seen on the West Coast, I would think it is like that everywhere. It is rather slow like was said above but it is a awesome experience!
    2003 300A
    Build date 9/27/02
    Sequence# 5244 of 7839
    I have a few things done to it, Eaton swap next!
    1993 Ford Taurus SHO-Every bolt on available...Awaiting a Turbo
    2008 Ford F350 SD
    1974 Ford F350 SCS
    2011 Ford Flex Titanium, Ecoboost
    www.cardomain.com/id/shofast
    If you don't stand behind our troops; please feel free to stand in front of them!

2003 300A BLACK DD
    Sequence # 4569 of 7839

Silver Inserts / K&N CAI / Drilled - Slotted Rotors
    DR Xcal2/Under drive pulleys (thank Rich)/180 T-stat
    EMP water pump / Denso irridiums (thanx Rich)
    Diamond Plate Radiator Cover and Air Dam, made by and broken in by magindat.
    Custom Embroidered SB Head Rests (Thanx Rich & Rex)
    Running with no mufflers, makes me sound fast!!

Upgraded Sound System (John's Stereo)
    -Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ XM & iPod
    -Pioneer Premier Speakers
    -MTX TC3001 Amp
    -MTX 10" Sub w/ Custom Box and LEDs (magindat)
    adopted 6/12/07 - 20,956 Miles
    SOLD 2/23/13 - 73,286
    Contemplating a battery handle delete

Took the Amtrack from Cary, NC to Baltimore, MD, the week after 9/11. Trip took the same amount of time as if by car by much less stress, cheaper than flying, nice booth to sit in, 100v outlet for my laptop, free drinks and snacks. Was a good trip.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Mike,

My brother just came from San Antonio to Marshall, Texas (closest point to Shreveport) and loved it. Took all day, lots of people on the train.

Might take a snack bag or lunch box. May not have a diner car. Prices are steep at the stations or on board the train.

Enjoy it.

Delays

Yes, the delays can be terrible. My wife took the train down to surprise me while I was volunteering in Oregon, and the 8 hours trip took 14.5 hours due to her train giving up the right of way to freight trains.

Pack a lunch, dvd player, and some good books!

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

A pillow, jacket and something to do if you hit a delay. Mostly, the delays aren't that bad, I take the Amtrak all the time. If you buy on-line the tics are cheaper http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...mtrak/HomePage You can see all the junk people hide behind their houses. It is a fun way to travel as long as you aren't in a hurry.

I can't hear the noise in your head. Please keep it that way.

Hey my xperiance was great!!!!
    I just hung out in the party car . I road in a train across the mountans and had about a two hour delay..............but it was fun.............

Thanks for all the replies....I will let yall know how it goes....can you use a cell on the train?
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by SID210SA View Post
    Thanks for all the replies....I will let yall know how it goes....can you use a cell on the train?
    No problem. My son took the Auto Train from VA to FL for a Royal Caribbean Cruise and I spoke to him on the train twice. So I don't think that there are any phone restrictions at all.

I am also considering making a trip cross-country VA to CA this year or next. 3 day trip. Oughta be a fun experience.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 01-11-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Cell phone, yes.

I can't hear the noise in your head. Please keep it that way.

I lived in England. Trains everywhere. Most amazing conversations can be overheard in trains.

I've also been on the Japanese bullet trains, they are very special. They start out without you knowing it just suddenly you are moving.

English Trains jerk and shutter, they also are hard to walk around on.

I've been through a Hurricane, in England, in a train. Everything was fine until a garden shed blew onto the tracks and we hit it at 125 MPH. It then took us another 2 hours to get the rest of the way to the next main station. Normally 20 minutes away. They had to cut the trees that fell across the tracks and at one point I thought the train might blow over, we were leaning well over to one side. It was only an 80 MPH wind, but blowing right at my side. That was worrying.

Other than that trains are no worry. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Thread Information