Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Tint

Window Tint

What is the factory tint percentage?
    Related to legal tint levels --- this is an interesting site:
    http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Papa,

GA is 35%...FormulaOne 32% was used on mine to not exceed the 35%...so in theory, that would make the factory 3%, but I don't know if that is exact science.

That site seems to be outdated. The percentage figures for Virginia are not even close to being accurate now.

Let me show you how tint laws are silly in reality..... read the Virginia portions in bold font below..... I can't put 5% limo tint on my back or side windows, but I can totally block these same windows out with a "sticker" of any size that covers the entire window. Let me see...... cop can't see through 5% limo tint, but he can see through a sticker. Hhmmm.... interesting.

§ 46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties.

A. Except as otherwise provided in this article or permitted by federal law, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on a highway with any sign, poster, colored or tinted film, sun-shading material, or other colored material on the windshield, front or rear side windows, or rear windows of such motor vehicle. This provision, however, shall not apply to any certificate or other paper required by law or permitted by the Superintendent to be placed on a motor vehicle's windshield or window.

The size of stickers or decals used by counties, cities, and towns in lieu of license plates shall be in compliance with regulations promulgated by the Superintendent. Such stickers shall be affixed on the windshield at a location designated by the Superintendent.

B. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, whenever a motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side of such vehicle, so located as to reflect to the driver of such vehicle a view of the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle, any or all of the following shall be lawful:

1. To drive a motor vehicle equipped with one optically grooved clear plastic right-angle rear view lens attached to one rear window of such motor vehicle, not exceeding eighteen inches in diameter in the case of a circular lens or not exceeding eleven inches by fourteen inches in the case of a rectangular lens, which enables the driver of the motor vehicle to view below the line of sight as viewed through the rear window;

2. To have affixed to the rear side windows, rear window or windows of a motor vehicle any sticker or stickers, regardless of size; or

3. To drive a motor vehicle when the driver's clear view of the highway through the rear window or windows is otherwise obstructed.

C. Except as provided in § 46.2-1053, but notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, no sun-shading or tinting film may be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side of such motor vehicle, so located as to reflect to the driver of the vehicle a view of the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle, and the sun-shading or tinting film is applied or affixed in accordance with the following:

1. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the rear side windows or rear window or windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of this Commonwealth that reduce the total light transmittance of such window to less than thirty-five percent;

2. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the front side windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of this Commonwealth that reduce total light transmittance of such window to less than fifty percent;

3. No sun-shading or tinting films shall be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle that (i) have a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent or (ii) produce a holographic or prism effect.

Any person who operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this Commonwealth with sun-shading or tinting films that (i) have a total light transmittance less than that required by subdivisions 1 and 2 of this subsection, (ii) have a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent, or (iii) produce holographic or prism effects shall be guilty of a traffic infraction but shall not be awarded any demerit points by the Commissioner for the violation.

Any person or firm who applies or affixes to the windows of any motor vehicle in Virginia sun-shading or tinting films that (i) reduce the light transmittance to levels less than that allowed in subdivisions 1 and 2 of this subsection, (ii) have a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent, or (iii) produce holographic or prism effects shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor for the first offense and of a Class 2 misdemeanor for any subsequent offense.

D. The Division of Purchases and Supply, pursuant to § 2.2-1112, shall determine the proper standards for equipment or devices used to measure light transmittance through windows of motor vehicles. Law-enforcement officers shall use only such equipment or devices to measure light transmittance through windows that meet the standards established by the Division. Such measurements made by law-enforcement officers shall be given a tolerance of minus seven percentage points.

E. No film or darkening material may be applied on the windshield except to replace the sunshield in the uppermost area as installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

F. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the affixing to the rear window of a motor vehicle of a single sticker no larger than twenty square inches if such sticker is totally contained within the lower five inches of the glass of the rear window, nor shall subsection B of this section apply to a motor vehicle to which but one such sticker is so affixed.

G. Nothing in this section shall prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multi-purpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below thirty-five percent.

H. As used in this article:

"Front side windows" means those windows located adjacent to and forward of the driver's seat;

"Holographic effect" means a picture or image that may remain constant or change as the viewing angle is changed;

"Multipurpose passenger vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is (i) designed to carry no more than ten persons and (ii) constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use;

"Prism effect" means a visual, iridescent, or rainbow-like effect that separates light into various colored components that may change depending on viewing angle.

"Rear side windows" means those windows located to the rear of the driver's seat;

"Rear window" or "rear windows" means those windows which are located to the rear of the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle and which are approximately parallel to the windshield;

I. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, sun-shading material which was applied or installed prior to July 1, 1987, in a manner and on which windows not then in violation of Virginia law, shall continue to be lawful, provided that it can be shown by appropriate receipts that such material was installed prior to July 1, 1987.

J. Where a person is convicted within one year of a second or subsequent violation of this section involving the operation of the same vehicle having a tinted or smoked windshield, the court, in addition to any other penalty, may order the person so convicted to remove such tinted or smoked windshield from the vehicle.

K. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement vehicles.

L. The provisions of subdivision C 1 of this section shall not apply to sight-seeing carriers as defined in § 46.2-2000 and limousine and executive sedan carriers as defined in § 46.2-2000.
    (Code 1950, § 46-295; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-291; 1970, c. 16; 1978, c. 233; 1981, cc. 17, 626; 1985, c. 160; 1987, cc. 298, 315; 1988, c. 751; 1989, c. 727; 1991, cc. 100, 328; 1993, c. 808; 1994, c. 118; 1997, cc. 744, 880; 1998, c. 133; 1999, c. 75.)

Window Tint

I checked the factory tinted glass on a CVPI with a tint meter and it just past NY requirements. IMO any tint on the front door windows in NYS would be a violation.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Originally posted by TAF
    Papa,

GA is 35%...FormulaOne 32% was used on mine to not exceed the 35%...so in theory, that would make the factory 3%, but I don't know if that is exact science.
    Todd, I am getting mine tinted soon. Can I tint the front side glass as well as the rear glass? I am going with the same 32%.

Bob

Crown Vic Guest
    NY Tint is suppose to be 70%. The 50% I have on my front windows is sooo light...any lighter and why bother? The 35% in the back of my car seems really dark on cloudy or rainy days but kinda light on sunny days.

We have one tinter in Anderson, SC, with a reputation of suspect quality. Can't risk it! I may have to go to Greenville or Atlanta, with references.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Black/DCharcoal
    Reinhart Stage I w/SCT Custom Tuner & 4:30's (install in progress!)
    FlowMaster Deltaflow 40's; K & N Filter
    McGard Wheel Locks; SS Inserts
    Smoked rear Liscense Plate; No front LP Bracket.
    Born: 10.08.02; Dlvrd From Windy City
    Adopted 8.10.03 12:15 AM
    Goals: Stage II, III . . .

LL 1969 AMX - 390, Doug's Headers, Al Edolbrock Highrise, Shelby Cam/Kit, Crager, ET Bars, Accel, Holley Dual Line 780, Hurst, SW gages, cus clutch, T10. elect fuel pump, 11" RT's.

Originally posted by 67435animal
    Todd, I am getting mine tinted soon. Can I tint the front side glass as well as the rear glass? I am going with the same 32%.

Bob
    Bob,

Go to the place just down the street (South on 41) from Team Ford. Those guys did mine and they're EXCELLENT. They'll know what to do. Your only decision on the FormulaOne is "smoked" which is a more black color...or the one that I got which has more of a greenish/brownish tint to it...like a classic pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses....the latter is what is used on most high-end Porches/Mercedes, etc.

Originally posted by kurly
    We have one tinter in Anderson, SC, with a reputation of suspect quality. Can't risk it! I may have to go to Greenville or Atlanta, with references.
    Kurly...

Kick out of work early on the Friday the 16th, come on down here...we'll take care of you getting your windows tinted at the place mentioned ^^^...and stay over for our breakfast on the 17th. Deal?

Smile tint

There is a great tint guy here in Myrtle Beach..SUNSHADES...BTW S.C. limit is 27%...I just had it done on my 03MM all around...looks great

Quote Originally Posted by bugsyc View Post
    There is a great tint guy here in Myrtle Beach..SUNSHADES...BTW S.C. limit is 27%...I just had it done on my 03MM all around...looks great

Old thread alert! Can you post pictures? Also what is a safe amount of tint for all 50 states - I might be driving in a lot of them -- you never know.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

A safe % would be none. lol

I went with 30% and haven't had any issues, I would say probably say 40% would be a safe level since that is usually the % rear window (factory privacy glass) is tinted to.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOHN View Post
    What is the factory tint percentage?
    Related to legal tint levels --- this is an interesting site:
    http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/
    factory is 70% the inspector put the metter on my window and came up 70% thats why 20% comes out to 14%-17% because of the facory tint
    392 Challenger YELLOW JACKET
    12.28@114 stock

all my cars except my beater get 20% which actually measured out to be 14%. I just pay the $95 if I get stopped but I aint taking it off. I usually average 1 ticket per 3 years...knock on wood.

One benefit of being in the military is almost always having out-of-state plates, which means getting away with 5% all around.

Makes backing up at night kind of a pain in the ass though.
    The Black Pearl & White Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    One benefit of being in the military is almost always having out-of-state plates, which means getting away with 5% all around.

Makes backing up at night kind of a pain in the ass though.
    I've just got 30% on mine but the end of my driveway is dark as can be, I usually have to roll my windows down to see when back into the driveway cause the reverse lights aren't bright enough. Need to find some brighter bulbs for them.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information