Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car is in the September 2017 issue of Popular Mechanics

My car is in the September 2017 issue of Popular Mechanics

Back in May I was contacted on Instagram from a editor of Popular Mechanics magazine to do a story on my car. I thought he meant it was my Marauder so I gave him the entire run down of what I did and then a brief paragraph about my 87 Grand National. Well it turns out that the article is entitled "The New Vintage" and it spotlights cars from 1979-1990 and their younger drivers, (younger meaning that I was 10 years old when my car was built) so they were definitely interested in my 87 GN.
    I gave them the story on the car and the editor went ahead and sent it for approval. About 2 hours later I was emailed back and asked when they can set up a interview with me about the car! The interview was about 20 minutes asking me the history of the car, why I own it, my plans and what I have done with the car. I also included that I still keep in touch with the previous owners because they had a very strong sentimental attachment to the car. They liked what they heard and sent a photographer to my place to do a photoshoot for the article.

They must have taken about 1000 pictures of all different angles, different backgrounds, pictures of myself and were especially excited when I offered to do a burnout. The photographer wasn't sure if I'd be up to it but I was happy to do it for the article.
    We ended up going to a parking lot nearby to do the burnout which was close to a park with people having a BBQ and some parks department workers cleaning up the area. The photographer asked me how many times can we do it? I said lets try one and see what reaction we get, but make it count because we may not get a second chance!
    They set up lights, a flash behind the car, several angles for the background and then had me pose when the burnout starts. I started the burnout and laid into hard, the smoke just pour out of the tires that the photographer said he only saw me for about 5 seconds and then I was completely covered in smoke. I ended the burnout and watched the entire cloud of smoke lift up off the car and fly right over into the BBQ area of the park! At that point some kids ran out and cheered, some people were staring and one lady from the parks department started yelling at us. So we only go once shot and it was a success! We ended up leaving the area and went over to a old tunnel and took some pictures there and I ended up doing another burnout in the tunnel which produced some amazing pictures as well.
    When all was said and done, they must have taken nearly 1000 pictures, but only two were used in the actual magazine article.

Here's the link to the article
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...rand-national/

It was a awesome experience and I'm really proud of the article. The previous owners family was very happy with the mention of the past owner and to see how well I take care of the car as well.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Thumbs up

Where's the like button.

Looks Awesome .
    Trilogy With Comp Cams Stage 3 Sound's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUIRJ1zGhSA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAUWZ9f8gXw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPUl529gog
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvfRjhiGT4w N/A Sound

Dyno By "Mo's Speed Shop",Dallas,Georgia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqxN3FjWd6s
    445 RW/HP @ 398 Torque S/C

Jeff Doing a Traditional Burn Out At "Mo's Speed Shop"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCyKuC5heAI

So Far Best Run 12.84 @106 MPH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlA-0vB0HwU

Big "Thanks" To Gerald,Derek,Bill & Harrison

"Thanks" Martyo & Jeff

#6486 of 11,052 03 300B In Black

Paul.

Cool Beans!!!!!!!
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

That's awesome!
    04 MM Silver Birch/Light Flint, HS, TO, 6CD, #597 of 3214 (sold 5/2014)
    06 MGM LS Ultimate w/HPP, Black/Dark Charcoal
    04 MGM LS (335k miles and counting)
    69 Marquis convertible, 429
    92 F250HD 4x4
    48 Ford F4

Cool! That's a keeper. No matter what happens to the car you've got that locked in.

P.S. just read, it's not really a "dinosaur," that would be my '70 Plymouth Satellite / Roadrunner hybrid that I worked on restoring for 10 years.
    Last edited by Svashtar; 08-02-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

BAD ASS!!!

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Nice Paul!!
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Nice write up Paul!

Always have loved the GN Buicks....
    ... as my college buddy had an '86 GN that would Whup my '85 5.0L GT Mustang's butt every time....

You've got 2 VERY collectible 'dinosaurs'...congrats!
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

I have no doubt that someday they will do a nostalgia piece on our Marauders.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Ride 1: 2003 300-A MM, black (naturally), K&N cold air, Granitelli Racing coils, Kybe shocks, Autometer "real" oil pressure and voltmeter, 14 inch front rotors and stainless lines from TCE with 6-piston Wilwood calipers and Hawk HPS pads, cryo-treated slotted rear rotors with TCE stainless lines and Hawk HPS pads, tune by Lidio, LED headlamps. Coming Soon: LED foglights, 200 Amp Alternator.

Ride 2: 2001 Kenny Brown "Panther 2" Crown Victoria, Black. K&N cold air intake to Allen Engine Development supercharger system with water-to-air intercooled Eaton MP-90 at 8 pounds. Extensive chassis bracing, Brembo 4-piston front calipers on 13 inch rotors with stainless lines. Trunk-relocated Optima Red-Top. 5000K Bi-Xenon HID's. And much, much more.

Nice Paul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Cool! That's a keeper. No matter what happens to the car you've got that locked in.

P.S. just read, it's not really a "dinosaur," that would be my '70 Plymouth Satellite / Roadrunner hybrid that I worked on restoring for 10 years.
    They interviewed me on the phone and asked what it's like to drive the GN compared to a modern car and I said "it's a dinosaur" after I said that I heard laughing in the background. I didn't think that was a line they would use for the driving experience. Lol

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Way to represent, Paul!

The '87 GN was the last good car Buick ever built. They went from awesome (RWD body-on-frame) to crapola (wrong-wheel drive and unibody) in one year.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by SteelQualityMan View Post
    I have no doubt that someday they will do a nostalgia piece on our Marauders.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I actually saw a "historical" write up from a couple of years ago; writer was very complimentary, but concluded that the one problem they had was that they "weren't that fast."

Maybe the stock MM at 0-60 at 7.5 seconds or thereabouts, but most are beyond that with mods, and with a 4200 lb car that's nothing to sneeze at.
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Way to represent, Paul!
    The '87 GN was the last good car Buick ever built. They went from awesome (RWD body-on-frame) to crapola (wrong-wheel drive and unibody) in one year.
    Well, yeah, that's true, but shortly after that they got Tiger Woods to front for them, so you have to factor that in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information