Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: P0174 system too lean bank 2

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Oh wow, you are close. She’ll be back on the ground and dusted off in a couple of months ready to hit the streets. We’ll have to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Looking forward man, but just a heads up you'll be disappointed on my crapbox ��.

So since today is super nice outside I went and check on the hoses both sides, I cleaned them and inspected them and blew on them blocking the other end to see if they were leaking but no, both hoses are OK, they look bad though but they don't leak, then I removed the PCV valve and cleaned it too, I blew on it and noticed the air went fluently both ways which thats not how it should be I think, so I went to vatozone and got me a pcv valve and blew on it too and it actually the air flow is more restricted thru one side. I just installed it but haven't drive the car yet, driving tonight to see the gf I hope it fixes it. Still I am ordering the drivers side hose either way because it looks real bad.
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

Before I replaced that hose my idle would run fast intermittently. Did you have to heat the hose to remove the PCV valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I didn't, with the pcv in place I pulled real hard and twits clockwise at the same time until the elbow snapped off. I used gloves and a rag to increase grip.
    So I drove the car it didnt idle as rough now but it still idles kinda low at red lights, but for sure it's 75% better now.
    I currently have new plugs and coils too, so I will replace the fuel filter, air filter and will put some injector cleaner too hoping to get it back to idle normally like before.

Update,
    So after replacing the PCV the car idle much better but still was sort of acting up almost stalling at red lights and the car would go into lean mode for at take offs for a few seconds then it would go back to normal. As I was inspecting further it came to my mind of why the car would idle so low to the point that it would almost die, so I removed the idle control valve to inspected and it was extremely dirty and the thing inside didn't move so much so while I was playing with it with a screw driver trying to open the valve as open possible I broke a piece of the thing inside, meaning that it will now stay open all the time, at this moment I was like, well now I will know that its definitely not closing and it will allow air in all the time. When I put it back I drove the car and it just stopped going to lean mode and it didn't want to die any more.
    A new idle motor is on the way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information