Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2003 MM Rear end build guidance appreciated.

Nobody on here since the start of this site has been over 400 rwhp in a na 4.6 marauder. Might want to research further. Use Google and search using g mercurymarauder.net added into your subject.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

5.4 it is! So the block im looking for is the Ford M-6010-GT

is this a good place to start? I know the actual ford GT blocks are hard to come by.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...&storeId=10001
    Last edited by IndyMerc; 10-27-2018 at 05:06 PM.

The deck height is taller. You’ll need an aftermarket hood and a 5.4 intake also.

Here’s a good rear end rebuild guide by the way:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...t-install.html
    Last edited by justgod; 10-28-2018 at 06:18 AM.

what does everyone think about having the stock rear end weld mod, the axle tube to the housing all the way around on the outside. is this necessary for our more modern 8.8 housings?

I welded mine. Didn't go all the way around though. 3 long welds with a stick on each side. If you plan on using MIG you have to heat the center section first because its cast steel.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMerc View Post
    what does everyone think about having the stock rear end weld mod, the axle tube to the housing all the way around on the outside. is this necessary for our more modern 8.8 housings?

If you do just make sure to tack it very well. I have heard of tubes moving from the heat just enough to kill bearings repeatedly and it goes without saying all related parts. Especially the case on back brace only weld jobs.

Best possible way is on a table in a jig till cooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I don't have a welder so I will take it to a local shop this week, one hopefully with experience doing this sort of thing.

also are there any objections to using stock 31 spline axles out of the 2006 rear end?

Not trying to cheap out or anything but if they are good enough for my intended use I have no problem using them. they were out of a 2006 marquis with a 2.73 open diff.

just getting my parts list finalized.

also with the detroit true trac is this a c clip style diff? I have never used one or been able to examine one up close to see what method of axle retention it uses.

Here’s the difference between our stock 28 spline axles and the 31s I pulled out of my crown Vic along with its 31 spline LSD that I put a carbon fiber clutch pack into to swap into my MM:

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMerc View Post
    also are there any objections to using stock 31 spline axles out of the 2006 rear end?

Not trying to cheap out or anything but if they are good enough for my intended use I have no problem using them. they were out of a 2006 marquis with a 2.73 open diff.

just getting my parts list finalized.

also with the detroit true trac is this a c clip style diff? I have never used one or been able to examine one up close to see what method of axle retention it uses.

Stock 31’s are just fine. Yes, C clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

well if your looking for the complete bearings, races, etc i have a complete overhaul kit that i ordered in for a member here(not gonna mention his name) that never came for the kit, its all OEM ford stuff and i can let you have it for 150 plus pp fees and the ride.
    let me know and i can pm you the parts list with part numbers.
    • 82 GT coyote swap started
    • 03 300a Marauder, stroked,cammed,T/S Trilogy Supercharged # 216,Best Et 10.77@129.72 on slicks, 93 pump gas. driven to the track.
    • 2011 GT 500, 3.4 whipple,93 pump gas,10.47@133,Driven to the track.
    • 2003 azura blue Mach 1, cobra motor,2.9 Whipple,crusher inlet,built 4r70w trans,04 IRS rear.full weight street car, Corn Fed

Thanks guys, The stock 31 spline axles look great, also after counting the spline on the pinion bearing its a 30 spline. after cleaning off the bearings I noticed it came with koyo and timken for the pinion section and torrington for the axle bearings. I wonder if this is normal for the 2006 8.8's. The differential housing and seals were stamped ford for that matter. I didnt bother pulling the pinion bearing off the pinion to see what it was but for anyone interested.

with the housing fully disassembled I am trying to get a way to weld the tubes to the center section. Do I learn how to weld and buy a welder "Ive wanted to learn and get one for years anyway" or continue to search out someone to do the job.

Koyo M802011-N

Timken M88048 097
    Timken M88010 097

Torrington DB-67309

Thanks Hotrod I have not decided on bearings yet, but that sounds like a good idea.
    PM it over, you can email me also @ evanpaulsmith21@gmail.com

diff and gear set ordered.

is there a major difference between the doorman and metco lower control arm and watts link parts?

is the improvement over stock just due to stiffness?

is there a complete poly bushing kit for our cars? I have looked but been unable to find any.

Huge difference, dorman vs metco. Dorman stamped steel rubber bushings, metco billet aluminum, urethane bushings, greasable and far stiffer ,compliments car feel and handling
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Nobody on here since the start of this site has been over 400 rwhp in a na 4.6 marauder. Might want to research further. Use Google and search using g mercurymarauder.net added into your subject.
    Current record holder is Fordnut at 378 rwhp NA. I have a bet with four members I can beat it. With my car at MO's Speed Shop, all things are possible with $$$$$$ and their talent. Maybe dump the TrickFlow and go Jesel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information