I posted a thread: "Epiphany" which addressed the confusion about build dates & such. It might be worth while to go take a look at some of the responses.

Epiphany
<HR style="COLOR: #dddddd" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->The Pack Rat posted a thread asking about Vin numbers and build dates. I gave mine with a build date in Dec. '03 and member 427435 offered one with a build date in April '04. The difference between those two Vin's is 32,799. Since we all know there were not that many MM's made in the entire production run, I'll offer this explanation, based upon experience with early Mustangs.

When the Mustang was introduced it shared the assembly line with Fairlanes and Falcons. Numbers were assigned to the next car down the line, no matter what name plate it had. I suspect this is the case with the MM's with the additional numbers assigned to Grand Marquis or whatever else in going down the assembly line at the time. Think of it as an event counter; as in, whenever something comes past a given place, it gets the next number.