Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Eaton Kit: Finished w/pics!

Homemade Eaton Kit: Finished w/pics!

Man, what a project.
    After I sold my Paxton, the car was plain boring to drive I almost bought the used trilogy kit (that justbob bought) but didnt pull the trigger in time. With all the Eatons available from Cobras that upgraded to Twin Screws, it made sense economically to go this route. I scored an Eaton with 9000 miles on it for $300 shipped. I got the lower intake and intercooler for $600 shipped, which is a good deal.
    This originally started out with the intention of a custom intake I wanted made to bring the inlet up and over the blower (back to the drivers side.)
    Of course 3 months of waiting went by without any progress (from the fab shop) so I scrapped that idea in favor of switching the inlet over to the passenger side. This actually worked out better, not only for fitment and air flow, but because this car is eventually getting the big bad engine with the Whipple 3.4 next year. Everything will be ready when that time comes.

The battery was going to be my biggest hurdle, because I needed to have the air filter and MAF as close to the blower inlet as possible. On my old Kenne Bell setup, I ran a long flex tube over to the drivers side (which I didnt care for asthetically)
    Anyone else would have relocated the battery to the trunk, but I have a silent phobia of doing that (for reasons I cant explain )
    Soooo.... I decided to move it over to the drivers side! I have to admit I wanted to do it this way mainly because no one else has done it yet!
    After a trip to the local junkyard and 5 whole dollars later, I came home with a 2003+ Battery Tray from a Crown Vic. It needed trimming, but bolted right up; one bolt on the frame and one on the wheel liner. Its rock solid, even with the battery in place. The next problem was the battery itself. The posts would have hit the hood when closed, causing a bad welding situation
    A quick trip to FLAPS and I found the correct battery and battery cable to hook everything up. I was able to remove the alternator cable from the passenger side, shorten it and hook it right up to the auxilliary wire that came attached to the new battery cable. SWEET! I ran the actual cable back to the passenger side and hooked it up to the fuse box post. (along with the starter wire and Stereo cable)
    Its amazing how easy it was to source parts for this project. EVERYTHING is used, cheap and readily available in the classifieds on Mustang sites. The only components that would prevent anyone else from duplicating this are the belt tensioner and alternator relocation brackets. There were only 5 sets made and talks of making more are in the works. Problem is, the brackets alone would be $600 with bolts, nuts etc. It may seem pricey, but its far cheaper than buying the 03 Cobra front dress and nothcing the frame for the Cobra alternator. Basically, these are slightly different versions of the Trilogy brackets (because the blower snout is longer on a Cobra Eaton vs. the Trilogy Eaton)

I had to extend the MAF harness (easily accomplished with Trailer wire(4 wires)), IAC, IAT and TPS wiring. I made block-off plates for the EGR and stock IAT port. I relocated the IAT to the lower manifold like the 2 Trilogy cars Ive done.
    The Fuel rail fitting needed to be bent toward the front of the car to clear the intake tube, no big deal.
    For the intercooler system, I bought a heat exchanger from Frozenboost.com and made custom aluminum brackets to hang it out front. I bought a used IC pump with the stock cobra bracket, that I sheet metal screwed to the frame right under the battery tray on the passenger side. I wired it up with a relay exactly like the Trilogy manual says to. The reservior was also used and I made a simple bracket to mount that.
    Before the pics, here is the cost breakdown:
    Eaton:$300
    Lower Manifold & Intercooler: $600
    Billetflow Pullies and hub: $200
    Cobra Intake Tube: $90
    Throttle Bracket: $18
    Lightning MAF and MAFia: $150
    Lower LFP pulley kit: $250
    New blower belt tensioner: $90
    Battery, tray and cable: $100
    IAT sensor and pigtail: $35
    Heat exchanger: $175
    IC pump: $50
    Injectors and IC reservoir: $120
    2 Belts: $60
    Custom brackets: $600 (Thanks to _____, you know who you are)
    Misc hoses and fittings: $50
    Air filter and adapter: $100
    Welding of misc things: $40
    Total: $3028 (without dyno tune)
    Not too shabby, huh!

Here are the pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pics:
    The crossover tube was a huge PITA, but worked out good.

More:
    You can actually get at the trans dipstick!

Almost forget...
    Blipped the throttle today and it hit 13psi
    I have a 3.4 pulley in case I decide to get cautious

(The lower pulley is a +4lb unit from a Cobra)

Friggin nice work man.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

A few weeks ago I was talking about this, and my friend said that I would be better off changing the heads also. Is this true?

IT'S ALIVE!!! Awesome Zack!
    "Damned if I do, damned if I don't!"
    Member #8831

MERIDEATH aka "Purrrty Mean" was born on June 20, 2002.
    Production #1685 of 7,838 and is #1685 of 7093 Black Beasts.
    Delivered July 27th 2002, she revealed herself.
    Unable to be tamed by her 1st owner, she was left to roam about & raid in search of plunder.
    Through the pillage she became mine on January 23, 2008 and since then...
    "She's tryin' to make a Devil out of me!"
    -"TaKe 'Em D0wN!" TRILOGY TwinScrew #209 / TS0019-

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    A few weeks ago I was talking about this, and my friend said that I would be better off changing the heads also. Is this true?
    I recommend not listening to that friend.
    The heads are identical except for the cams BTW.

Thats why I asked your opinion. Thanks

Looks good Zack

sweet man! it looks weird with the filter on that side, makes my eyes feel funny
    2010 fusion se

Nice job Zack. So, I assume one of your previous tunes works with this setup without change, no?

If you ever want to loan me one of those lower intakes to experiment with... It might encourage me to get that tank out sooner!

Cheers!

Id definitely needs tuned, but runs great with a previous tune I loaded in.
    Ill think about the lower intake

Looks good Zack and you came in at $500.00 less than me.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread Information