Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibernation tales

Hibernation tales

All Marauders are special but this is the story of Marauder 628724.

Once upon a time, there was a land called Canada. Canada was known for large toothless men who played hockey. In a village in Canada called St.Thomas the elves had a stable where they bred Panther cars. Some Panthers were called Crown Victorias and some were called Grand Marquis.

Most of the Panther cars were destined to a calm, solid life carrying older people on short trips. Many of them, while comfortable, would play tricks on their owner, like leaving the turn signals on for miles and miles. Some Panther cars would seduce the owners into forgetting where they were going. Other cars would pass the slow moving Panther car and smile at the joke that was being played on the owner. Many Panther cars ended up in a wonderful place called Florida where they sat motionless for weeks in front of mobile homes.

Even in the beginning some Panther cars were different from the others. Some of the Crown Victorias were more ambitious than the others and became Police Interceptors. The Police Interceptors were faster and louder than the other Panther cars and even had better brakes and suspension. The other Panther cars were happy though. They knew that some cars have a sense of duty and were willing to run faster and harder and maybe wear out sooner.

None of the Panther cars wanted to talk about the other “different” cars. These cars, also Crown Victorias, worked as hired transport. This was a short, brutal life that sometimes ended in the scrap yard within three years. None of the Crown Victorias wanted this life. Discovering that they would be a taxi would cause a wave of depression to roll over the Crown Victoria chosen for this miserable life.

After a long stretch of time the elves had gotten used to breeding Panther cars and were good at it. Some changes had been made but the essential character of the Panther cars had not changed.

Then the planets went into a unique alignment. Astrologers from the magic castle in Dearborn and explained to the elves, in halting Canadian, that they may see some of the newborn Grand Marquis acting differently. Some of the cars, they told the elves, may begin to work out and develop more powerful engines and bigger tires. The elves were told that when these cars are discovered they should be put into a special corral where they are to be tutored by Mustang Cobras. Then, when they are delivered to their new owners they will be accompanied by a leather jacket. The elves were told that most of these cars will start to dress in black and make more noise than other Panther cars. But the elves shouldn’t worry. These cars will be called Marauders and most of them will go to loving homes where they can live good lives where they provide mental health services for nice guys who don’t like rice burners. The elves prepared a special place for the new Marauders and waited for the first ones to be born.

When the first Marauders were born they were popular with guys in their 40s. 628724 was sent to Detroit (a magical place that is both north and south of Canada) where it bought by a mean man who didn’t love it. The mean man drove it every day but didn’t wash it more than once per week. We don’t know all of the horrors the Marauder saw while owned by the mean man. After less than a year the mean man sold it.

The Marauder languished on a Ford dealer lot for over a month until it was purchased by a nice man who loved it. The nice man promised the Marauder that it would never be left parked on the street and would get washed at least twice per week.

For three months the Marauder and the nice man were together every day. They drove all over the magic city and met a few other Marauders. The Marauder was shown off at the Woodward Ave Dream Cruise. The nice man never ate food in the Marauder and kept the interior clean. The nice man waxed the Marauder once per month. The nice man kept clean oil in the engine and checked the tires weekly.

The Marauder raced rice burners and BMWs and usually won. The Marauder was happy that it never embarrassed the nice man.
    Sometimes the Marauder was able go really fast. The Marauder liked this because this is what it was bred for. Once, the Marauder was able to average 92 mph for over 250 miles. The nice man was very proud. They even drove to the distant lands of Tennessee and Georgia, where pick up trucks rule. It was a good life.

One morning the Marauder woke to chilly weather. The Marauder liked the cool air but knew that winter was coming. How hard would this winter be? The Marauder had seen some cars on the road that were rusted and bent. All of them had a tale to tell. While they all weren’t as special as the Marauder, they were all new once and shiny. The winter and the miles had aged them prematurely. The Marauder was very sad. The Marauder knew that being protected from the winter is important. Winter hates and destroys good cars with salt and accidents.

One Saturday morning the nice man drove the Marauder out of the garage and they went to get an oil change. For some reason the nice man seemed sad but the Marauder enjoyed the attention from the mechanic. Then they went to the car wash and came out looking shiny and new.

After a fast run on the interstate the nice man drove the Marauder back into the garage. But, this time there was something new. There was a black plastic cover on the floor. This seemed a little fussy, after all, aren’t tires expected to touch concrete? The nice man rolled the windows down and popped the hood. Then he turned the ignition off and opened the door. The nice man opened the hood and topped off the brake reservoir. Then he clipped charger clips to the battery posts. After that he pulled a clear plastic cover the car and zipped it to the black plastic. A fan started to lift the clear plastic off of the Marauder’s sheet metal. The nice man said, “See you in April.” Then he turned the lights off in the garage and closed the big door.

The Marauder knew that it would be sad to not drive for 5 months but it felt warm and secure in the garage. April wouldn’t be too long to wait. The Marauder dreamed about fast roads and scenic byways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

WOW!!! You have certainly shown us the love for Marauder 628724.

I know she's smiling in her cozy cocoon right now and counting the days!

See you in April, 628724.
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

She is sleeping, perchance dreaming of a trip around the Brickyard at Indy in July. Sweet dreams, mine is slumbering as well, under-cover in the garage.

almost brought a tear to me eye
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

While your Marauder is sleeping, my marausder is quick and alive and conquering all of those snow flakes and ice crystals. He's loving it and I'm loving it.

My Marauder knows time is short. Those in their 40's think life will never end, while those in their 60's like me know too well it will end much faster than one thinks.

So my Marauder and I are loving all of life -summer and winter- while it still lasts!

______________________________ ______________________
    2003 Blue 300B (Canadian) (reversed traction control, mini spare,
    trunked 6 disc CD changer,clock-in-the-radio, heated front
    seats, hood light)
    -Born 12/10/02
    -16,000 miles
    -18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph
    -Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
    clutches and band after stock tranny failed in 8,800 miles)
    -Wheel locks (Ford)
    -Badgeless front grille by “Zack”
    -Zaino waxing; RainX
    Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion (450 hp) Born
    3/28/03
    -Dead pedal
    -Baer front brakes 14 in. two piston, vented rotors
    -MMX Driveshaft
    -377 RWTQ
    -4.10 gears
    -Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3 Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3
    -Vortech supercharger (5 and 9 psig boost)
    -Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y;rear
    255/50ZR18 102Y)
    -FordChip
    -One coil of each front stock spring removed to produce
    the “same” effect as an Eibach spring
    -Ground clearance: 5 in.
    ______________________________ ____________________
    1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel
    BlueWaterMan

I forgot to compliment you on the story telling script.

Is writing your other hobby?
    BlueWaterMan

Originally posted by John F. Russo
    I forgot to compliment you on the story telling script.

Is writing your other hobby?
    Thanks John. I am an American Lit major working as a techie. I enjoy writing and can be vain about it. Those who know will testify that I'm not vain about my hair or clothes. I usually look like a phone booth in khakis.

I wish all of the slumbering cars well over the winter.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Loved it Dan, as one that has owned Marauders for over 35 years, your tribute is great. Glad you can put her away like that.
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

Dan - Great story. Excellent way to store your MM for the winter.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Nice story. We will see sleeping Blacky Beauty in the Spring.

Hey, great story!

Where'd ya get the bubble? That's a nice piece of equitment there. (Both)
    2007 Honda Accord V6. Fit for a father of two. 5% tint all around.

The bubble is the Car Capsule. Check it out Some folks think that it's overkill but winter is hard here.
    Dan

dwasson...the nice man authored a great "bed-time story", but my 610425 is not sleepy enough...yet...definitely staying up late all thru the winter.
    Additionally, 628724 is probably peeved at the nice man for making him sad, never allowed the chance to feel a snowflake, nor a sideways ice slide...for shame, for shame, nice man.

John F. Russo...summer & winter...I'm with you...every half hour drive thru the snowflakes is like a 30 minute vacation !

Re: Hibernation tales

Originally posted by dwasson
    All Marauders are special but this is the story of Marauder 628724.

Once upon a time, there was a land called Canada. Canada was known for large toothless men who played hockey.
    Us large toothless men ain't afraid of no snow!!!

Good story, but who was the nice man?...

Found, a dwasson classic

Hey James! Look what I found ...one of Dan's classics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information