MercuryMarauder.net Forums    

Go Back   MercuryMarauder.net Forums > The Garage > Shop Talk

Shop Talk Visit Shop Talk for all your general technical discussions regarding the Marauder!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2018, 10:24 PM
03MERCMARAUDER's Avatar
03MERCMARAUDER 03MERCMARAUDER is online now
If your Gonna boost it, Boost it hard
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wichita Kansas
Age: 34
Posts: 539
Trader: (1)
Rough idle

So before the Nazis jump in I have done the searches and spent a good amount of time reading the different issues and fixes people have done. I recently purchased an 04 marauder off the boards here and it had a rough idle which bugs me. I love the car and do not regret the purchase at all but I have had one of these cars when they were new and it had a smooth idle even after a tune. Car I purchased has the a Lidio tune, older JLT CAI and 4.10 gear. When I first got the car I noticed it would surge when I left off the brake at a light. I was able to fix this by upping the idle RPM in drive but that has its draw backs. I even swapped the stock tune back into the car and still had the same issue.To date I have replace the plugs (proper gap) New OEM coils, motor craft Fuel filter, I cleaned the IAC as well and the MAF and still fight this idle issue. I can hear it through the exhaust even at idle. So what am I missing? Any words of wisdom from the veteran folks on this board? Appreciate any help

Joe
__________________
2004 SB
4.10's and a tune
More to come
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2018, 11:13 PM
BlackBeauty_bb's Avatar
BlackBeauty_bb BlackBeauty_bb is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Posts: 74
Trader: (0)
Rough idle

have you checked for any vacuum leaks?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 AM
musclemerc's Avatar
musclemerc musclemerc is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Dirty South
Age: 46
Posts: 3,213
Trader: (27)
EGR valve is stuck open. Big ole vacuum leak
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2018, 02:16 AM
crownvic97's Avatar
crownvic97 crownvic97 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 26
Posts: 687
Trader: (3)
When I bought my Marauder it had a rough idle as well. Replacing the plugs made no difference. A compression test showed low compression on cylinder 8. I’d suggest you do a test as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2018, 04:50 AM
TooManyFords's Avatar
TooManyFords TooManyFords is offline
Action figures sold separately
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Waterloo, IA
Age: 58
Posts: 4,386
Trader: (6)
As already suggested, either the EGR or your IAC. Just cleaning the IAC does not mean it will work correctly. Also, make sure you get the Ford one and not an off-brand.

Surging is excess air, so you also might want to get a can of starting ether and spray around the various hoses connected to the intake, and also around the intake runners by the heads as well. I bought a Marauder to put back together and it had a rough idle. Turned out the lower intake by #1 was cracked and it was afterwards I found out it also had a nitrous kit on it at some time. I found it with the Ether trick. I'm guessing it was not setup correctly and backfired which cracked the intake.

What you describe is most likely an easy fix. Keep looking and you'll find it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 AM
blazen71's Avatar
blazen71 blazen71 is offline
I'm Your Huckleberry
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 767
Trader: (3)
When you spray the ether, the rpm's will increase if there is a vacuum leak cause the engine is sucking it in and burning it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe Crow
And if you need to know "how it goes from balls to coating", ask my wife....

2004 300A Procharger #0010 P1SC
2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Marauderjack's Avatar
Marauderjack Marauderjack is online now
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 7,469
Trader: (13)
If you need a Brand New IAC Valve I have two made by Hitachi who made 'em for Ford according to Bob!!

PM me if interested!!
__________________
Member #1368
2004 Silver Birch...300A
#948 of 3213/#8787 of 11052
FIT "ProCharger" #0010
Real AutoMeter Oil Pressure Gauge
Addco Anti-Sway Bars
ScanGauge II In Dash
Nitto 295's On Widened Rears
Mach I Air Dam
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 AM
03MERCMARAUDER's Avatar
03MERCMARAUDER 03MERCMARAUDER is online now
If your Gonna boost it, Boost it hard
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wichita Kansas
Age: 34
Posts: 539
Trader: (1)
Thanks for the suggestions I will give it a try today
__________________
2004 SB
4.10's and a tune
More to come
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 AM
fastblackmerc's Avatar
fastblackmerc fastblackmerc is offline
Everything Marauder, LEDs & HI
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Somewhere in the N.C. Triangle
Age: 62
Posts: 25,509
Trader: (75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyFords View Post
As already suggested, either the EGR or your IAC. Just cleaning the IAC does not mean it will work correctly. Also, make sure you get the Ford one and not an off-brand.

Surging is excess air, so you also might want to get a can of starting ether and spray around the various hoses connected to the intake, and also around the intake runners by the heads as well. I bought a Marauder to put back together and it had a rough idle. Turned out the lower intake by #1 was cracked and it was afterwards I found out it also had a nitrous kit on it at some time. I found it with the Ether trick. I'm guessing it was not setup correctly and backfired which cracked the intake.

What you describe is most likely an easy fix. Keep looking and you'll find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
When you spray the ether, the rpm's will increase if there is a vacuum leak cause the engine is sucking it in and burning it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
If you need a Brand New IAC Valve I have two made by Hitachi who made 'em for Ford according to Bob!!

PM me if interested!!
What ^^^^^^ they all said!
__________________
“When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
General James Mattis



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-11-2018, 12:03 PM
03MERCMARAUDER's Avatar
03MERCMARAUDER 03MERCMARAUDER is online now
If your Gonna boost it, Boost it hard
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wichita Kansas
Age: 34
Posts: 539
Trader: (1)
No vac leaks found using ether so guess I will look at replacing the egr and iac to see if that resolves the issue. Will also do a compression test this weekend. Other than the idle the car runs fine. Its just enough that you can see a shake to the motor and feel the car shake
__________________
2004 SB
4.10's and a tune
More to come
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 PM
crownvic97's Avatar
crownvic97 crownvic97 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 26
Posts: 687
Trader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03MERCMARAUDER View Post
No vac leaks found using ether so guess I will look at replacing the egr and iac to see if that resolves the issue. Will also do a compression test this weekend. Other than the idle the car runs fine. Its just enough that you can see a shake to the motor and feel the car shake
I wouldn't bother replacing any parts before doing the compression check. Its quick and easy and may save you from throwing parts at the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 PM
03MERCMARAUDER's Avatar
03MERCMARAUDER 03MERCMARAUDER is online now
If your Gonna boost it, Boost it hard
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wichita Kansas
Age: 34
Posts: 539
Trader: (1)
Update. I tossed a known good egr valve on and no change to the rough idle. Plan is to do a compression check tomorrow. I put my x cal on the car and this time I had codes. Had code P0316 and code for cylinder 8 misfire. I swapped cylinder 1 COP with cylinder 8 and cleared the code. Fired the car up and still has rough idle and after a short drive same codes are back so cylinder 8 is where I will focus. Based on the research I have been doing I am afraid I will find low compression on cylinder 8 but I may be wrong. Stay tuned.

Joe
__________________
2004 SB
4.10's and a tune
More to come
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:57 PM
crownvic97's Avatar
crownvic97 crownvic97 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 26
Posts: 687
Trader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03MERCMARAUDER View Post
Update. I tossed a known good egr valve on and no change to the rough idle. Plan is to do a compression check tomorrow. I put my x cal on the car and this time I had codes. Had code P0316 and code for cylinder 8 misfire. I swapped cylinder 1 COP with cylinder 8 and cleared the code. Fired the car up and still has rough idle and after a short drive same codes are back so cylinder 8 is where I will focus. Based on the research I have been doing I am afraid I will find low compression on cylinder 8 but I may be wrong. Stay tuned.

Joe
This is the exact same symptoms and outcome I had on mine. Misfire on 8 that stayed on 8 no matter what was changed. I’ll be hoping that you have a better outcome than me!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM
03MERCMARAUDER's Avatar
03MERCMARAUDER 03MERCMARAUDER is online now
If your Gonna boost it, Boost it hard
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wichita Kansas
Age: 34
Posts: 539
Trader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
This is the exact same symptoms and outcome I had on mine. Misfire on 8 that stayed on 8 no matter what was changed. I’ll be hoping that you have a better outcome than me!
Head have to come off your car?
__________________
2004 SB
4.10's and a tune
More to come
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:03 PM
crownvic97's Avatar
crownvic97 crownvic97 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 26
Posts: 687
Trader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03MERCMARAUDER View Post
Head have to come off your car?
Yes, I took it as an opportunity to upgrade however. You could pull just the driver side head and have the valve/valve seat repaired on 8 (assuming That’s the issue which is likely).

I bought some 9 thread heads, had a valve job and some porting done to them, and basically replaced everything other than the shortblock. Still not done!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
won't idle jb513 Shop Talk 11 08-23-2012 06:34 AM
Help Car won't idle MAROGER Shop Talk 2 05-09-2012 03:09 PM
Idle air (RPM) Pat Shop Talk 14 06-24-2011 12:59 PM
Idle Drops At Idle 2003CTMarauder Shop Talk 9 02-26-2006 01:04 PM
idle, now od nexstar7 Shop Talk 3 07-31-2004 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2017 - MercuryMarauder.net