Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to buy a Marauder as a daily what do I need watch out for?

2003: Half as many spark plug threads, possibility of damaged heads, especially after improper repairs. '04 transmission is supposed to be better, with a higher stall torque converter? Dual knock sensors are supposed to allow the PCM to respond quicker to fuel octane/quality. '04 was de-contented slightly too - actually started during the '03 production cycle. Beware of coil spring conversions, improper front end alignment, damaged spark plug threads, generally mistreated cars overall.

I made an offer on my car right away, bought a cashier's check the same day and sent copies to the seller to prove I was legitimate (he is a collector), snagged a neighbor to ride with me and we were on our way in less than 48 hours. While the car was being serviced after changing hands, we drove to the next town south to a state DMV office to get a temp transport tag ($10). Produced the title, bill of sale and proof of insurance - trouble free trip from MI back to NC. Image taken in Jackson, OH on the trip home.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

The 04 has some better stuff but what was given up on the 03 to get there wasn't worth it IMHO. Thumb gas door and traction control (yuuuuk!) on the 04 = no thanks.

But! I'd rather have an 04 than no Marauder at all.

Just what ever you get, you get a black one. JPB is the fastest color! :-)

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

I wouldn’t swap my early ‘03 for any other. Zero paint flaws, never once a spark plug issue, and the trans remained perfect till the day I took it out with 92,000 miles, more than half of which were supercharged. Soft axles were the only thing it had and I used that as a chance to upgrade.

Take care of your car and it won’t plaque you with issues..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    The 03 is widely believed by ford enthusiast to be the better vehicle. In 2004 it seemed as though ford was cutting corners on the vehicles trying to make more profit. The 04 has base crown vic struts and shocks which they revised the suspension 4 times. They down graded the wiring in the doors to thinner gauge wire. They removed the clock in the dash.

The 04 did get heated seats which is nice in the winter. The traction control on the 04s is pretty crappy which most people dont like.
    I would love for you to cite your sources. All of the 03's I've seen, including my own, were assembled with a lot less care than my 04. but hey, it has map pockets!

I'm sure you are also unaware that the 04's received dual knock sensors which resulted in a more aggressive timing setup, a 4R75W trans (03 had the 4R70W) and I'm sure this is still up for debate 16 years later but supposedly a higher stall converter.

Yes they did remove the clock from the dash, it went into the radio. Meanwhile, where are those factory 2003 moonroof cars? Oh wait, I have a crappy ASC 840VSS in my 03

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Where do you get your info? Never in 8 years has anyone said or proven the 04 has crown Vic struts... 03 has paint issues, 4 thread spark plug holes...
    Agreed, even to this day you can go on a dealer site and find Marauder specific shocks for 03 AND 04.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenMike View Post
    So 04s have spark plug issues? As far as I can tell 03s are more common, 04s are harder to find.
    2004's have the revised 8 thread heads which are less prone to ejecting spark plugs if not torqued properly. This is true for all 4.6 and 5.4 modulars, not just Marauders.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

So is it enough of a difference to make and 04 a better purchase over an 03? Could a 03 be modded to make up for it? (New heads, different trans, reprogrammed ecu?) Of course I would package and store any major parts I replace (heads, trans, ect) to preserve the cars pedigree should I choose to sell down the road.

Blog Entries
    Variances in individual cars will offset any due to model year. Buy the best Car!
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Ok so I've found an 03 Marauder in MS for 9k and has 104k on the clock, the only issue is the seller doesnt really have much history on the car, so I've contacted the local Ford dealer to get it gone through, they want 70 for that and I figure I'll give the mechanic an extra 20 or 30 to really give it a once over, I'll also set it up to test drive it and see it myself before dropping 100 bucks on the inspection, it's just 70 miles from me so I'll probably test drive, get inspected, and if satisfied make the deal all in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe View Post
    Excerpted from the 2004 overview document .....

2004 Marauder Overview

New for 2004

New exterior colors: Dark Toreador Red and Silver Birch
    I have a 2003 that's Silver Birch...and 400+ others came in SB in 2003

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post

The 04 did get heated seats which is nice in the winter.
    My 03 has heated seats.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post

Yes they did remove the clock from the dash, it went into the radio.
    My 03 does not have a clock in the dash, but does have one on the radio.

Not trying to play the 'prove people wrong' game...just want to point out that there really isn't a marked difference between an 03 and an 04; both years have their own specific list of pros/cons, with none of the cons being deal-breakers, IMO. If I were in OP's position, I'd look to buy from an established member here first and keep in mind you probably aren't going to find the 'perfect' Marauder. Just find one that has the fewest, no-big-deal issues.

I'm currently looking at the one in MS for 9k with 104k miles on it and then there's one in the For Sale section here for 4900 but has 253k on the clock and its in CA, the up side is the owner has had it since low miles and knows the history, the guy in MS is selling to pay attorney fees in a divorce so probably won't be negotiable and doesn't really know much about the car.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    I have a 2003 that's Silver Birch...and 400+ others came in SB in 2003

My 03 has heated seats.

My 03 does not have a clock in the dash, but does have one on the radio.

Not trying to play the 'prove people wrong' game...just want to point out that there really isn't a marked difference between an 03 and an 04; both years have their own specific list of pros/cons, with none of the cons being deal-breakers, IMO. If I were in OP's position, I'd look to buy from an established member here first and keep in mind you probably aren't going to find the 'perfect' Marauder. Just find one that has the fewest, no-big-deal issues.
    You have a Job 2 MY2003, aka a "300B". Off the top of my head the only options a 04 had that were not available on any 03 were DTR and the moonroof.

I agree with what was said earlier, buy the best car you can afford.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information