Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rear mount turbo build

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Please tell me you plan on putting the trunk carpet back in place.
    Lol Yes, I'm going to clean everything up, nice and Purdy, it's just pretty low on my priority list

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

So I am having my friend help me out with making my fuel hanger because I'm a little girl and don't know how to weld.

I went to take off out my fuel pumps, and just decided to just drop the tank. In the hot Florida sun. Tight squeeze but I got it.

So ill be selling my returnless fuel setup, (KB BAP, modified fpdm, and the revised ford gt pumps)

It took some thinking, but I was able to make the factory sending unit work with the sending unit hat that came with the fuel cell. Then I bent the rod so it will read true full and empty with the fuel cell dimensions. Cut and put the floaty back on. Works like a charm. I also plan on using the factory fill up spot for the fuel cell, I think it's just high enough to not cause problems, just have to drill a hole

And this beast of an intercooler just came in. I'm not 1000% happy with it, as he made it a little wider than I asked at the top, so I'll just have to trim a good bit to make it work. At this point, carving up the front bumper cover isnt a big deal to me. It's going to look sexy

So I've been making some moves, been doing a good job on not spending any extra money. sold the fuel setup, decided to pull the trigger on return, everything else that I should need for fuel is in the mail. also sold my long tubes, and bought my cold side piping/ v bands. Also got my manifold flanges resurfaced. And just dropped the off to be sand blasted and ceramic coated.

Got the manifolds back from coating, I also bought a cheap welder and wired my garage for 240v. Going to start practicing so I can do a couple misc things around the car, like solutions for mounting the turbo for example, unfortunately my intercooler was made a little too wide, too wide for the bumper brackets. So I'm going to have to make some new brackets, or notch my existing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by minimarine09 View Post
    So I am having my friend help me out with making my fuel hanger because I'm a little girl and don't know how to weld.
    I still laugh and or smile every time I read this.
    Welding isn't super difficult. Practice enough and you'll get the hang of it.
    Can we assume that you got a MIG welder?
    If so, flux core or solid wire with gas?
    Few quick tips: uncoil the leads completely. Don't take just what you need and leave the rest hanging on the machine.
    When using a MIG(or GMAW) welder keep the liner as straight as possible. Helps keep the wire from binding.
    Don't be afraid to take the tip and wire out and blow the liner out. They fill up with dust and rust surprisingly fast.
    Make sure you have the correct size tips for the wire size being used. Don't be afraid to change the tip either, they can go bad fast too.
    Weld toward the ground clamp. Helps keep the arc stable and if stick welding, keeps the flux behind the arc where it belongs.
    Clean welds are happy welds. Yes, you can weld through paint and rust. But it's usually not pretty. The grinder is for before welding, not after.

Have fun!
    And don't be a dumbass and weld in a t shirt with no gloves like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    I still laugh and or smile every time I read this.
    Welding isn't super difficult. Practice enough and you'll get the hang of it.
    Can we assume that you got a MIG welder?
    If so, flux core or solid wire with gas?
    Few quick tips: uncoil the leads completely. Don't take just what you need and leave the rest hanging on the machine.
    When using a MIG(or GMAW) welder keep the liner as straight as possible. Helps keep the wire from binding.
    Don't be afraid to take the tip and wire out and blow the liner out. They fill up with dust and rust surprisingly fast.
    Make sure you have the correct size tips for the wire size being used. Don't be afraid to change the tip either, they can go bad fast too.
    Weld toward the ground clamp. Helps keep the arc stable and if stick welding, keeps the flux behind the arc where it belongs.
    Clean welds are happy welds. Yes, you can weld through paint and rust. But it's usually not pretty. The grinder is for before welding, not after.

Have fun!
    And don't be a dumbass and weld in a t shirt with no gloves like me.
    You forgot one....Don't strike an arc until you verify that the batteries in your auto darkening welding helmet is good and it is switched on. Trying to weld with a bad battery(s) in your helmet or the switch in the off position makes it difficult to see much of anything for at least 15 minutes. Don't ask me how I know that.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Once you have welded poorly a few times and the wire will no longer feed, DO NOT POINT THE TIP TOWARDS YOUR FACE AND LOOK AT IT WHILE PULLING THE TRIGGER!!!

It's a simple honest mistake that definitely will poke you in the eye and grant you a trip to the ER

Once the welder speed and you getting used to it, all is good.

Keep a pair of dikes next to you, this way with each new fresh arc will be a new fresh piece of wire.

Shut the gas off once your ready to put the welder away, nothing worse the next time you go to use it and all that gas leaks out!
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbob View Post
    You forgot one....Don't strike an arc until you verify that the batteries in your auto darkening welding helmet is good and it is switched on. Trying to weld with a bad battery(s) in your helmet or the switch in the off position makes it difficult to see much of anything for at least 15 minutes. Don't ask me how I know that.
    Probably the exact same way that I know that. Checking becomes a habit after a few times.

Back from the dead!

So I took a little hiatus from the world / car, recently I started back up again, slowly but surely, what I have gotten done since last update -

Welded motor mounts solid
    Mounted both exhaust manifolds
    Mounted plumbed/wired fuel pumps
    Mounted battery box and fuel cell
    Built/ran fuel return and feed hoses
    ReRouted battery relocation wires through frame
    Relocated fuse box (may change my mind)

Mounted beast of a transmission cooler behind grill and ran hoses

Cleaned up some janky wiring that was left for me

Started to relocate the air compressor to make room for

(still planning on cleaning everything up and proper mounting, carpet in trunk, etc...)

Some pics, of the above mentioned progress and more to come!

Last edited by minimarine09; 01-01-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Nice. But FYI, you can run all power cables through the interior. There is a factory channel along the passenger side with plenty of room for battery cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Nice. But FYI, you can run all power cables through the interior. There is a factory channel along the passenger side with plenty of room for battery cables.
    Thanks! yea that would of been a smarter idea, oh well maybe next time.

So now I'm basically waiting on this guy to be available to fabricate my hotside for me, anxious to hear me some turbo noises!

In other news, MY BALLS WORK !

My son coming around April 13th

When your unborn is metal as ****

Lol congrats man!
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

Better hurry up and get done! After he gets here game over till he goes to school.....
    Crumb snatchers are expensive!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information