Thread: Bring back the Old.

Bring back the Old.

I was just looking at some pictures of a 1966 Mustang and wondered if it would be possible, given all the safety requirements, to bring back the 1966 Mustang as a new 2009 Mustang?

It would require some crumple zone improvements, new steering wheel, headrests on the seats, airbags. But what else? Could you bring back a striped to the bones look and feel of the 1966 Mustang?

I believe they brought it back in 2005. Wake up call!

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolical1 CC View Post
    Could you bring back a striped to the bones look and feel of the 1966 Mustang?
    Yes, actually you can still order them striped if you want.

2003 300A BLACK DD
    Sequence # 4569 of 7839

Silver Inserts / K&N CAI / Drilled - Slotted Rotors
    DR Xcal2/Under drive pulleys (thank Rich)/180 T-stat
    EMP water pump / Denso irridiums (thanx Rich)
    Diamond Plate Radiator Cover and Air Dam, made by and broken in by magindat.
    Custom Embroidered SB Head Rests (Thanx Rich & Rex)
    Running with no mufflers, makes me sound fast!!

Upgraded Sound System (John's Stereo)
    -Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ XM & iPod
    -Pioneer Premier Speakers
    -MTX TC3001 Amp
    -MTX 10" Sub w/ Custom Box and LEDs (magindat)
    adopted 6/12/07 - 20,956 Miles
    SOLD 2/23/13 - 73,286
    Contemplating a battery handle delete

there is a 65 FB sitting on a 2003 Cobra out there.
    It was done very nice. 65 outside 03 inside.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I believe they brought it back in 2005. Wake up call!
    yup that's as close as it comes. No notch back though but who cares about that?

the 2010 Mustang will see a little freshening
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Several years ago I suggested Dodge bring back the Charger in the original 1969/1970 look. It landed on deaf ears. Wasn't long after that though that Dodge did announce the new Challenger would take on the old appearance. Once they hit the market I think they will sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals View Post
    yup that's as close as it comes. No notch back though but who cares about that?

the 2010 Mustang will see a little freshening
    Uh, I DO! I'm set on looking for a 'Notch, they're just pure sex.
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raudermaster View Post
    Yes, you'll have to find an old one.

I shouldn't tell you how many excellent notches I parted out to save convertibles and FBs. No one wanted notches, at least they weren't willing to pay many $ for them.
    Member Number 32

An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Raudermaster View Post

I couldn't resist.......my other pride and joy, she's asleep till April

03 Marauder 300A
    Build date: 6/11/02
    Wty start date:8/10/02
    Seq# 1082 of 7839

200,000 plus enjoyable miles

Kooks headers
    2 1/2 custom exhaust (h-pipe)
    Magnaflow high spun cats
    JLT CAI, JLT PCV pre-filter
    31mm Front, 24mm rear swaybars
    Xcal 3 with Lidio tune & dyno

A 2005 mustang is not a 1966 mustang. Not even close. It might have a plastic body that looks a little bit like a Boss but it is not.

I mean make an inexpensive, say $10K, Mustang. Interior like the 1966 Mustang. No electronic things. Radio, include FM and a ipod jack. a switch for your wipers, lights, key in dash, Lighter element and 12volt socket, Heater. No need for AC with the front a pillar windows, roll down windows with handles that crank the window up or down. Rear window the same. Headrest on the seats added. Interia locks added. No console. Just the Stick or Automatic gear selector poking through the carpet. Medal dash material. Metal glove box with cup holders, not meant to use when moving, although it might not be too hard to make it possible for moving use.

Fuel Oil Speedo amps and Temperture gauges. Blinkers and the floor parking brake. maybe add a hood release and gas cap lock release. The gas cap on the back in the centre, one that works. Or if safety mandates it have the centre cap act as a release for the side panel no cap gas thingy.

Bring back the magic, leave out the plastic and sell another million Mustangs.

Quote Originally Posted by MADRODER View Post
    I couldn't resist.......my other pride and joy, she's asleep till April

Except in the context of the thread I was referring to '65/'66 notch back coupes
    Member Number 32

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolical1 CC View Post
    A 2005 mustang is not a 1966 mustang. Not even close. It might have a plastic body that looks a little bit like a Boss but it is not.

I mean make an inexpensive, say $10K, Mustang. Interior like the 1966 Mustang. No electronic things. Radio, include FM and a ipod jack. a switch for your wipers, lights, key in dash, Lighter element and 12volt socket, Heater. No need for AC with the front a pillar windows, roll down windows with handles that crank the window up or down. Rear window the same. Headrest on the seats added. Interia locks added. No console. Just the Stick or Automatic gear selector poking through the carpet. Medal dash material. Metal glove box with cup holders, not meant to use when moving, although it might not be too hard to make it possible for moving use.

Fuel Oil Speedo amps and Temperture gauges. Blinkers and the floor parking brake. maybe add a hood release and gas cap lock release. The gas cap on the back in the centre, one that works. Or if safety mandates it have the centre cap act as a release for the side panel no cap gas thingy.

Bring back the magic, leave out the plastic and sell another million Mustangs.
    Government regulation would pretty much prevent manufacturers from building the '65/'66 Mustang today.

The base '65 Mustang was a little inline 6 3spd std, fixed front passenger seat, no radio, no hood springs, 13" wheels and skinny tires, and the convertible version had a manual top.
    I've only ever seen one absolute bare bone '65 Mustang convertible.
    Few were sold like that, but they were cheap.
    I doubt anyone would buy a Mustang stripped like that today
    Member Number 32

Thread Information