Thread: Replaced air ride pump, right side lower than left.

Replaced air ride pump, right side lower than left.

A few days ago my dad‘s 2004 silver mercurymarauder everything was working perfectly, as preventative maintenance since the old pump started making lots of noises we put a new pump in it. So we fired it up with Keahn and the pump was working and still is working fine, but the bags never opened up. We ran it for three minutes so the valves never opened up for the airbags I assume but the car was sitting deflated for three days. Long story short shut the car off open the truck shut off the power turn the power back on and immediately it started airing them up but I did notice the right sides lower than the left side and the car is bouncy when you drive down the road. Now Dad has driven the car 20 times sense and it just seems like there is an equal air between the two bags. And the distractions that he received it literally said to shut the rear switch off this is coming for my dad I never read the distractions, it said to jack the car up with the air ride shut off and let the rear wheels dangle in the air and then turn the pump on???
    as of now it seems the car is leaning to the right with the airbag so my thought was to deflate both again on a level surface which it was the driveway, and then try to get both bags to air up. Dad‘s at the point he wants to get a new ****ing pump and a new Set of airbags and lines and all this stuff,. I just think it’s unequal air between the two bags has anybody had this problem, I’ve replaced pumps and never had this issue so I can’t see it being two issues at once because the car was perfectly fine and running fine and driving fine and airing up fine and being completely level before I replace this pump

suggestions?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    A few days ago my dad‘s 2004 silver mercurymarauder everything was working perfectly, as preventative maintenance since the old pump started making lots of noises we put a new pump in it. So we fired it up with Keahn and the pump was working and still is working fine, but the bags never opened up. We ran it for three minutes so the valves never opened up for the airbags I assume but the car was sitting deflated for three days. Long story short shut the car off open the truck shut off the power turn the power back on and immediately it started airing them up but I did notice the right sides lower than the left side and the car is bouncy when you drive down the road. Now Dad has driven the car 20 times sense and it just seems like there is an equal air between the two bags. And the distractions that he received it literally said to shut the rear switch off this is coming for my dad I never read the distractions, it said to jack the car up with the air ride shut off and let the rear wheels dangle in the air and then turn the pump on???
    as of now it seems the car is leaning to the right with the airbag so my thought was to deflate both again on a level surface which it was the driveway, and then try to get both bags to air up. Dad‘s at the point he wants to get a new ****ing pump and a new Set of airbags and lines and all this stuff,. I just think it’s unequal air between the two bags has anybody had this problem, I’ve replaced pumps and never had this issue so I can’t see it being two issues at once because the car was perfectly fine and running fine and driving fine and airing up fine and being completely level before I replace this pump

suggestions?
    Well, Occam’s razor, are there two airline connections to the pump? Could one of them be kinked? Seems like the most logical explanation, but I’ve never replaced my pump so not sure how it’s hooked up.

I did my bags about 6 years ago, and raising the car and letting it hang makes sense, I would think that would work. Sitting for a long time is not good for these. When the rear of the car hangs get under there and take a look at the bags, they should be extended from the top of their mounting point down to the where they’re mounted in the axle. Sometimes after sitting the bags “telescope” and get a kink or crease in them. Personally I would put the rear of the car up on jackstands to take the pressure off the bags, then turn the trunk switch on, then try and get the bags to fill which you’ve done, then get under there and watch them. You should easily be able to see if they’ve filled equally. I remember the first time I fired up the new bags and one only partially filled, then nearly 5 minutes later there was a huge pop sound and the right bag fully extended and the car raised up another 2” on that side.

Also, remember if a bag goes out or is not filling all the way it’s just as likely the solenoid at the top of the bag as it is the airbag.

If you do have to change the bags / solenoids, I can’t recommend Arnott enough, they were great for me, with a lifetime warranty on the parts. Changing the first bag and solenoid was an absolute beyotch until I figured it out, then the second one only took an hour.

One thing the tech at Arnott neglected to tell me to compress the orange ring on the airline, told me just spray silicone up at the connection, and I stupidly almost ruined the end of the airline trying to get the solenoid off on each, ripping the guts out of the solenoids, being tired and too obtuse to see I just needed to push in the orange “clutch” where the line entered the solenoid. Thing is, my old solenoids were still working, but after 14 years I figured I might as well change them out with the bags. But that white airline is incredibly tough stuff, and thankfully it regained its form after I stretched it and I installed it into the new solenoids.

Too much info, but I would strongly suggest you don’t change the airlines at all if you can possibly avoid it. Hope some of this helps your Dad.

P.S. After you think the bags are filled park on a level surface and measure the clearance on each side from the tops of the rear tires to the rim of the wheel wells. I know that’s pretty obvious, but that’s a quick way to tell you if the bags are filling equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

TB, how much lower? There was a Bulletin about the dreaded “lean,”and one of my cars had it. If it is a one to two inch or so lean… and honest to gosh, I read this in the bulletin… park the lower side both wheels down hill (10 inch or more decline, I used a steep gutter in Downtown Sac…) roll uphill side windows down… and use the upper window frames to start “rocking” the car side to side. Push up, weight brings it down… push up… over and over. I asked two guys walking by to help. At first they thought I was crazy, but after explaining and gaining synchronization, the three of us literally tried to flip the car over. It worked! The dreaded lean was vanquished, and has not reappeared.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    TB, how much lower? There was a Bulletin about the dreaded “lean,”and one of my cars had it. If it is a one to two inch or so lean… and honest to gosh, I read this in the bulletin… park the lower side both wheels down hill (10 inch or more decline, I used a steep gutter in Downtown Sac…) roll uphill side windows down… and use the upper window frames to start “rocking” the car side to side. Push up, weight brings it down… push up… over and over. I asked two guys walking by to help. At first they thought I was crazy, but after explaining and gaining synchronization, the three of us literally tried to flip the car over. It worked! The dreaded lean was vanquished, and has not reappeared.
    Hmm great idea to equal them out, eventually I’ll get back over him. I’m battling cancer and I’ve got no energy.
    turns out the brand new pump assy is not holding air

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

We think a lot alike bud, I did do the tape measure, it’s 1 1/4 difference side to side. The cars been sitting weeks now and all the air is out of the bags.
    car was working perfectly prior to this pump assy. Soooo ding ding ding,.. it’s not holding air.
    I know the solenoids are supposed to hold all the air, but once you shut the last door,… ever hear the air compressor release and lower the car?? Well that solenoid on the pump stays open on this one.
    dad tossed away the oem one. Like wtf dad ��
    he has another new one I just gotta put it in

Current marauders

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

as far as i know there is no solenoid on the pump. I've fixed a few systems and have only ever seen two solenoids, one on each bag. When they vent, the air flows back to the compressor and vents through it. There is one supply line which supplies both bag and equalizes the pressure... If your car is sagging to one side it's do to a bag/solenoid/o-ring problem.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    as far as i know there is no solenoid on the pump. I've fixed a few systems and have only ever seen two solenoids, one on each bag. When they vent, the air flows back to the compressor and vents through it. There is one supply line which supplies both bag and equalizes the pressure... If your car is sagging to one side it's do to a bag/solenoid/o-ring problem.
    all the issues started with the assy replaced. I bet one bag solenoid is leaking a bit, and once the last door is shut the car doesn’t park level.
    wasn’t a issue 30 minutes prior. I mean what are the odds another failure started when I did the pump motor.

I will get on it and share what I find. Thanks Derek

Current marauders

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Hmm great idea to equal them out, eventually I’ll get back over him. I’m battling cancer and I’ve got no energy.
    turns out the brand new pump assy is not holding air
    Sorry to hear you are battling the big C.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Quicksilver View Post
    Sorry to hear you are battling the big C.
    Yes, me too, that sucks big time brother. Hang in there, they can do wonders now. God Bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

im 48 and they said ive had this mass for over 2 years., Everyone needs to go get checked, i have colon cancer and ill be off work over a year, it started in November is when i found out. Had no idea...
    The doctors are now telling everyone in there 20s to get checked. i was waiting to be 50... id be dead by then if i had waited.

Current marauders

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

Our hopes and prayers are with you my friend. Eat well, spend time clearing your mind, enjoy the view, know you are loved, and know we are praying for you. Get well!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

UPDATE : FIXED!

Cars air ride was working perfectly, but my dad wanted the air ride pump replaced since the 20 year old one was making noise.

Once I installed the new pump, the car never functioned correctly.
    Both bags would deflate in 10 minutes after it shut off.

Welp, new bags is what fixed it.
    One bag was HORRIBLE, no idea why all of a sudden a new pump wipes out a bag at the same time.
    No idea how BOTH bags would deflate so quickly, the original shut off solenoids were reused too.

Crazy.
    But simple fix.

just goes to show stuff does break , and sometimes something else breaks while fixing something else

Current marauders

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

Thread Information