Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Discuss Blocks and Alternative Engines

Let's Discuss Blocks and Alternative Engines

I had posted up on another thread which apparently has already "run its course", so I decided to start a new thread.

I am essentially an "Old School" hotrodder (I have three modified "early" Mustangs) who I admit am fairly clueless regarding the "computer" cars. My daily driver is my 2003 Marauder. This is one of three other cars (all Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury vehicles) in my "stable" that is not modified.

Anyway, I am one who likes to keep an extra engine or short block around in the event one of my "toys" decide to "give up the ghost." With that being said, I would like to discuss the "pros" and "cons" of acquiring and building an alternative acceptable Marauder short block or engine. It appears that the Lincoln Mark VIII, the Aviator and the Cobra motors are acceptable candidates.

I realize some of this may have been addressed in "bits and pieces" on other threads but would like to see it all in one place. So, what ARE the pros and cons in utilizing one of these alternative 4.6 DOHC motors to replace a "stock" Marauder motor?

Thanks!

BT
    Last edited by cobra3073; 09-08-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Meant Lincoln mark VIII vs mark vii

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ght=aluminator

The strongest ALUMINUM 4.6l block is the: 2005 to 2010 3v Mustang block with casting number 3L2E-6015-CC on it (Ford part # 8R3Z-6010-A). It weighs 10lbs more and it better than even the touted Teksid block. This is the same block that Ford used for the Aluminator series (M-6010-A46SC). If you want stronger, like for over 2,000 hp, then use an iron block. John Mihovetz of Accufab Racing has pushed the aluminum blocks over 2,000 horsepower without issue. https://accufabracing.com/accufab-mustang
    Heads, you want the 9 thread heads. Here is some info on this: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ght=aluminator

The strongest ALUMINUM 4.6l block is the: 2005 to 2010 3v Mustang block with casting number 3L2E-6015-CC on it (Ford part # 8R3Z-6010-A). It weighs 10lbs more and it better than even the touted Teksid block. This is the same block that Ford used for the Aluminator series (M-6010-A46SC). If you want stronger, like for over 2,000 hp, then use an iron block. John Mihovetz of Accufab Racing has pushed the aluminum blocks over 2,000 horsepower without issue. https://accufabracing.com/accufab-mustang
    Heads, you want the 9 thread heads. Here is some info on this: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm
    Couldn't disagree with you more on the blocks , the teksid is the strongest 4.6l production block ever produced , the aluminator block is a WAP block , but the truth of the matter is that the WAP block will be more than enough for 95% of the modular builds out there , and the iron 4.6l block is no where as near as strong as its aluminum counter parts.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I had two Teksid blocks in my shed and chose the Aluminator block. I got them from Triple Threat. I have done extensive research as well as having many blocks in my possession. If you saw where Ford added the strength and where they took the weight away, you'd understand. I do not underestimate your knowledge, but, on this, I will argue until death.

Last edited by RacerX; 08-28-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Use whatever you want. They all work the same

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    I had two Teksid blocks in my shed and chose the Aluminator block. I got them from Triple Threat. I have done extensive research as well as having many blocks in my possession. If you saw where Ford added the strength and where they took the weight away, you'd understand. I do not underestimate your knowledge, but, on this, I will argue until death.

You do realize there are many articles stating each block is the strongest right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Use whatever you want. They all work the same
    Omg! I actually agree with you! Hell well for the most part.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I went with the teksid, no regrets. Although I am not utilizing the power it can sustain, I do not need to worry about it .. ever.
    2003 MM 300A #4271 [BURNOUTS ACROSS AMERICA car / RIP Paul Casey]
    fully built teksid motor done 3/1/16, too many mods to list...

Visit my garage for details

Blog Entries
    LOL, that's nothing but a promo piece with a bunch of made up words and processes to sell!
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Zack is right, but, you can also get the strongest aluminum blocks at junk yards for about $400 (10lbs heavier than the Teksid in all the right places). Good luck!
    Last edited by RacerX; 08-29-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Drag racers prayer:

All very GOOD stuff indeed, but what I was trying to ask about was, what are the pros and cons in utilizing other (read that cheaper and more prevalent) blocks and/or engines in putting together a STOCK equivalent of the 4.6 DOHC motors that came originally in our cars?

Essentially, I would like to know what are the "pitfalls" and/or incompatibility issues (if any) that would have to be resolved when using a teksid or WAP block or engine to make them the "SAME" as an original stock Marauder motor?

I am not looking at putting together a high HP motor or something that would be more at home on the track. I am sure there are MANY other Marauder owners who are also getting a little "long in the tooth" (like me) who simply enjoy using our cars as daily drivers.

Anyway, I am sorry if I was not clearer in the original post.

BT

The blocks are all, for the most part, interchangeable. You're going to have different internals (compression ratios), heads, timing covers, oil pans, pickup tubes, oil pumps, front dress...

Drag racers prayer:

Any of the 4.6 blocks will work. There are 5.3L iron blocks for sale that are the same size as the 4.6 (I think they were bored and stroked 4.6l Boss blocks, I think.) For the heads, well.... answers for that would be as varied as any opinions would find on this site. Truth is depends on budget and what you wanna do. Stock heads for the 'rauder are the 03/04 heads, but those are getting expensive. I have heard talk about Navigator heads, but I guess intake choices on that are limited.

I myself am building up an engine using the Teskid block and C heads (99/01 Cobra heads) which I got off a Lincoln continential for $100 (same heads, same cams) and they will give just about the same performance as the heads and cams that come stock on the 'rauder.

2003 CVPI former Connecticut State Police Supervisor vehicle. 160,000 miles
    Upgrades: 3.55 Posi, 200amp alternator and new decoupler, lighting relay mod, KYBs in the rear, LTC leather rear seats, 70mm FoMoCo throttle body, and MZT mod with MPT custom tunes.
    DOHC swap to come! http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...3076313&page=1

I recommend Livernois.

I just bought a 2004 aviator for 800 bucks. I love these engines. not sure if I should re use the stock block or go with the M-6010-A46NA.

2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information