Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marauderer gun owners...

Nobody has addressed amunition issues.

I think that many people carry pistols that overpenetrate. I worry about some nimrod shooting through the bad guy and killing the neighbor in his bed. That's why I like pump shotguns for around the house. And, that "KER-CHUNK" sound of a cheap 12 guage racking tells the bad guy that he screwed up.

Check out this site where the wounding factors of handgun ammo are considered.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

What you need to do is take all the suggestions for all the guns given here and look at the ones that fit you: Pricewise, caliber-wise, size-wise etc. and then take that list to a gunshop or (preferrably) a range that rents guns. Then hold all the guns in your hand and if you can shoot them. Find the one that fits you best and you hold and shoot best. I have a $1100 USP Tactical .45 that I love, it fits me well and I'm accurate with it. Some people complain it's too big. I have a Desert Eagle in .50AE that I paid 600 bux for in a trade, that fits my hand very well and it's the most accurate handgun I own, other people say they are way too big, impractical and suck really bad. I owned a Sig Sauer P220 that a lot of people (including my father, cop for 21 years carried a P220 for 9 or 10 of them) swear by, and I couldn't shoot that thing well to save my life so I had to trade it in. I've shot a USP Compact in .45, and it fit my hand well but I found that when I shot it the recoil pushed the grip into the webbing between my thumb and index finger and started cutting it after around 30 rounds and I was very inaccurate with it. The USP Compact in 9mm is a little smaller than the .45, but I shot a good 300 rounds through it without a single issue and I was dead on with it. You don't wanto to drop a whole lot of cash on a gun only to find out you don't like it and it doesn't shoot well and you have to sell it or trade it in like I did with my P220.

H&K USP Compacts are very good because if you know where to look you can get them for great prices. They are easy to shoot and the controls are similar to a 1911. They look nice (you can get SS slides if you look) and Jack Bauer has a 9mm USPc so you have the "celebrity" factor. They are very reliable.
    H&K USP Fullsizes can be good values as well if you know where to look and they are accurate and very durable.
    PROBLEM WITH THE ABOVE 2: I cannot personally verify this, but i have hear that Heckler & Koch's customer service dept. SUCKS!!!

Glock and XDs are very good values. Very reliable pistols and good prices to boot. The XDs are very similar to the Glock but they have a beavertail safety which I like a lot and it would prompt me to buy an XD over a Glock for carry.
    There are wheel guns too. You can get good deals on snub noses although you are limited in capacity.

Any gun could be a better value if you don't mind purchasing used. Another forum you could check out would be www.glocktalk.com. Me and Marauder.45 are members over there as well, with the same names as here, they are very helpful over there, they don't just discuss Glocks, all firearms are good to go. Don't go over there and ask a broad question though, you'll start a war (almost like S/C battles here, lol). Specify what type of stopping power and features you are looking for, and what the gun will primarily be used for and you will get a lot of great suggestions.

Dan I hate to have to disagree with you but the racking of a shotgun is not as intimidating as most may think. Best case scenerio, you have someone who has no resolve and is not ready to get into serious business while breaking into your house. Worst case scenerio, you just let a person willing to kill know exactly where you are and let them know you have a weapon, turning it into a kill or be killed scenerio OR you don't rack the chamber and the bad guy gets the drop on you, so you have a big scary shotgun but it is unable to be used at the moment. It would be best to have one in the chamber already, and then pointing it at said badguy, while on the phone with the police and warning the BG that you have a shotgun, it is loaded, it is pointed at him, and any hostile movements will be met with deadly force. Always be on the phone with police, a handsfree kit on a cordless phone or cellphone would be ideal, let the police know you didn't just sneak up behind the guy and shoot him, this will let them know if you have to shoot you were justified.

About the ammo issue there are several ways around this, use normal ammo. .357sig or the magnum calibers will give you the most danger of over penetration. Shotguns can do this too, especially if heavy slugs are used, Birdshot does nothing to humans, so 00 or 000 Buck is recommended, both have the potential for over penetration. A heavy, slow projectile such as the .45 will have less of a chance to penetrate. Another thing you could do, if your state allows it, is use hollow-points. They expand quicker doing more damage to soft tissue and decreasing the amount of over-penetration.

Another thing to consider is the addition of night sights and lights. Night sights are a good idea but they only give you part of the picture, a clear sight picture, if it's dark and your half asleep you may not be able to see what's infront of the gun as well. The addition of a weapon mounted light will be a great help here. It will illuminate everything in front of the gun so you will know your target and what's beyond it (Rule #3 of proper gun safety). Also it's not as threatening, if BG sees you coming with a gun (Chances are his/her eyes are better adjusted to the dark than your own) it may escelate the situation into a kill or be killed scenerio. IF all the BG knows is he/she has a light pointed at them, until you let them know it's a gun and you are on the phone with police it may work out better. Plus the weapon mounted light keeps your hands free so you can hold the gun with one hand and be able to have a free hand if necissary. Another benefit, god forbid deadly force is ever needed, it will add weight to the front end of your gun lessening muzzle climb and making follow up shots easier and faster.

Another thing to invest in, electronic ear protection. Keep it next to your gun. If you think your house is being broken into, put them on, they will amplify small noises (the theif) and they will block out loud noises (gunfire). This will give you a tactical advantage of being able to hear the BG better and at the same time saving your hearing. If you shoot at 3am half asleep, the sound may freak you out and throw your shots off or make you pause and if your first shot missed the BG may already be firing back.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight7096; 07-13-2006 at 10:09 PM.
    Martin C Ingenbrandt IV
    Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.

2011 Harley Davidson FXDWG Wide Glide
    2010 Dodge Charger R/T
    1993 Plymouth Sundance

I am very partial to my Stainless Colt .45 1991 Government MarkIV. I have shot at least 2,000 rounds of various ammo through it and have not had a single misfire, jammed casing or missfeed.

The gun is as accurate as I am...

The recoil is minimal, it is a heavy gun.

I JUST got my unrestricted concealed carry and do carry with one chambered, hammer down. There is no way the gun can fire, until I pull the hammer back.

I have quite a collection (7) of handguns. The .45 is my carry choice....

My Ruger Super Redhawk with scope it WAY to difficult to conceal.....

Be safe, and shoot a lot, and often.... Oh, and make your own rounds, it's way cheaper.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Good report from the F.B.I.

Quote Originally Posted by dwasson
    Nobody has addressed amunition issues.

I think that many people carry pistols that overpenetrate. I worry about some nimrod shooting through the bad guy and killing the neighbor in his bed. That's why I like pump shotguns for around the house. And, that "KER-CHUNK" sound of a cheap 12 guage racking tells the bad guy that he screwed up.

Check out this site where the wounding factors of handgun ammo are considered.
    Very interesting report, including: "Probably more people in this country have been killed by .22 rimfires than all other calibers combined"

.22 long rifle rounds are least expensive and there is no hassle of re-loading. In my house, I keep a (folded stock) Ruger 10-22 next to my bed with two 25 round clips in it and a spare 50 round banana clip nearby. I was told a #6 12 guage shotgun round will cut a man in half under 20 feet. Have not tried it to verify.
    Last edited by GreekGod; 07-14-2006 at 07:40 AM.
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by Dragcity
    Be safe, and shoot a lot, and often.... Oh, and make your own rounds, it's way cheaper.
    x100

If you reload you will save so much money, plus its stress releiving and a great way to occupy yourself. I'm still just starting out and I was able to make 100 rounds of .45ACP and 100 rounds of .50AE in about 2 hours and saved around 100 dollars doin it.
    Martin C Ingenbrandt IV
    Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.

2011 Harley Davidson FXDWG Wide Glide
    2010 Dodge Charger R/T
    1993 Plymouth Sundance

I have carried the same gun for work going on 10 years now I wear it at least 5 times a week and have never had to pull it out in the line of duty. I have never even had to pull out my hand cuffs. (knock on wood for both) When I do use it at the gun range I put at least 150 rounds thru it and have never had a jam (knock on wood again). It is still just as good as the day I got it.. It is a Ruger KP95DC. A 9MM. I use hollow points + P. For that extra spin and penetration. I carry a 15 round clip in the gun and 2 10 round clips on my belt. It's not to heavy of a gun and is realatively inexpensive...I got mine for about $275 and I believe I saw one for under 300 new not to long ago. I dont have big hands but I dont have small hands either and it is a perfect fit and very comfortable to hold.
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

I have three

I do not carry, but I carry a sidearm when hunting. I have a Walther p-22(nice gun) for target and a cheapo Hi-Point .380 for target shooting......also a resepectable gun, especially for under $100.00. For my sidearm I use a 7.62x25 CZ-52, I load it with .223 sabots. Chrony shows velocities of 2200 FPS from a 4" barrel!!!! With the standard ammo the ballistics are almost identical to a .357 mag, but a little faster. As far as reliability, it is a sur-plus Czech military pistol, so It cycles very good, even after the 5,000 rounds I have put through it. I have not had to use it, but I am sure it could knock a wild boar down pretty easily if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanthomas
    Wow, I have never posted a thread on MM.net that got this big of a response. But then again I knew you trigger happy SOBs would be more than happy to give me your opions!
    Trigger happy? Nawh.

Honestly, I don't feel I need any gun at all. If I ever confront a burgular, or a highwayman, I'll just ask him what oil he uses in his get-a-way car...

Me, I don't worry about the 1 or two guys. I worry about the pack of 8 that are out there. I boxed for a good number of years, and have been in my unfair share of street fights (with weapons used against me). I probably would not even think of using my gun to shoot a person, even if I could. Not what I want to do. There are MANY altenative measures, and I am willing to exhaust almost all of them.

Thare are a lot of strange things happening in the world today. I want to be a member of the "Well Regulated Malitia" if the time comes....And I'll supply my neighbor as well.

Just my measily 2 cents worth....I'm just your average Joey Bag o' Doughnuts
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight7096
    Dan I hate to have to disagree with you but the racking of a shotgun is not as intimidating as most may think. Best case scenerio, you have someone who has no resolve and is not ready to get into serious business while breaking into your house. Worst case scenerio, you just let a person willing to kill know exactly where you are and let them know you have a weapon, turning it into a kill or be killed scenerio OR you don't rack the chamber and the bad guy gets the drop on you, so you have a big scary shotgun but it is unable to be used at the moment. It would be best to have one in the chamber already, and then pointing it at said badguy, while on the phone with the police and warning the BG that you have a shotgun, it is loaded, it is pointed at him, and any hostile movements will be met with deadly force. Always be on the phone with police, a handsfree kit on a cordless phone or cellphone would be ideal, let the police know you didn't just sneak up behind the guy and shoot him, this will let them know if you have to shoot you were justified.
    Thinking about it a little more, I have a slightly different take on it than I did earlier. I have two large, protective dogs, who are totally willing to stop an intruder. If anyone gets past the dogs I figure that they have proven that they are not good guys and I shouldn't feel bad about shooting them. But, at 0 dark 30, it may be that a short barrelled shotgun is the only hope I have of hitting anybody.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Thumbs down Why not the MARAUDER of hand guns

A Desert Eagle. You already drive a car that makes a statement.

I figured that you would get some good replies to this question, and you have. My .02:
    A gun is a tool. Every tool has specific uses for which it is best. Get the tool that is best for the uses that you foresee.
    Are you going to just leave the gun at home or in your desk during the day, or will you carry it concealed? This makes a big difference. A revolver will be harder to conceal due to the width of the cylinder. If concealment isn't an issue, then a revolver may be just as good a choice as a semi auto.
    Barrel length: If you choose to carry a revolver, you may think that a snub nose (say 2" barrel) will be easier to conceal because of the shorter barrel. Not necessarily. It's usually the width of the gun, not the length of the barrel that makes a gun visible under your clothes. A revolver with a 4" barrel will conceal just as well as a snub nose, plus it will shoot easier.
    Caliber: There are a number of calibers which will effectively stop an attacker. I prefer a .45 auto because the round is big, wide, relatively slow moving. That equates to less penetration (less chance of it going completely through the attacker), plus it hits like a sledge hammer. Something like a .357 (which is a fine defense caliber) may cause more internal damage, but not necessarily stop the attacker as quickly. Remember, the first thing you have to do is STOP the attack. It does no good to put a fatal round or two into an attacker who is high on some wierd drug, or just crazed with adrenaline, only to see him continue to attack and kill you. When the round hits, you want the bad guy to fall. Others may disagree with this theory, as it is constantly debated, and I know that I don't get the last word on this point. I respect all mature and respectful opinions.
    No matter what you choose, get some training as you have already talked about. The NRA can give you a list of certified instructors in your area.
    Practice, practice, practice. If you ever have to use your gun in self defense, God forbid, it MUST be a natural action for you to draw and fire effectively. In a life or death situation, you probably won't have time to think a lot about the things which should come naturally because of your training and practice. If you do have a lot of time to think, then it probably isn't a situation which needs to be resolved with a gun, and you can probably get away.
    Congratulations on your decision to take responsibility for your own safety and that of your family. Our LEO's, God bless them, can't always be there watching at the crucial moment. Choose not to be a victim.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

Well stated Ross!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Throwing my $.02 in here, I've got several handguns and ewach has a purpose. For one that's an all around decent gun for a fair price I'd say get a Glock 23. It's a mid sized .40 that's really easy to shoot. Point, pull trigger, repeat as many times as necessary.
    Not very easthetically pleasing, the phrase Tactical Tupperware comes to mind, but pretty foolproof and accurate. I have weapons that I've pain 3 time as much for that aren't too much more accurate.
    Black 2004 Marauder
    Has everything but a moonroof
    35% tint all the way around
    Born on 04/15/2004
    Adopted 04/30/2004
    Number 2491 of 3213 Made in 2004

Quote Originally Posted by SID210SA
    I have carried the same gun for work going on 10 years now I wear it at least 5 times a week and have never had to pull it out in the line of duty. I have never even had to pull out my hand cuffs. (knock on wood for both) When I do use it at the gun range I put at least 150 rounds thru it and have never had a jam (knock on wood again). It is still just as good as the day I got it.. It is a Ruger KP95DC. A 9MM. I use hollow points + P. For that extra spin and penetration. I carry a 15 round clip in the gun and 2 10 round clips on my belt. It's not to heavy of a gun and is realatively inexpensive...I got mine for about $275 and I believe I saw one for under 300 new not to long ago. I dont have big hands but I dont have small hands either and it is a perfect fit and very comfortable to hold.

Where do you work?
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible