Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car won't start....but then it does.

Car won't start....but then it does.

Has happened three times. Turn key to start and nothing. Dash lights come on like normal, I hear the fuel pump come on. I've put the shifter in all positions while key is turned. Battery should be good. No clicking, no dragging.

Then all of a sudden it will start right up. Left it at home today but need to get it fixed as it is my daily driver.

I am guessing the starter. Starter used to rattle on startup but haven't in a while. Suggestions??

Similar condition with my Vic --traced power draw on battery from the LCM causing battery too weak to start off and on --LCM in mail to fastblackmerc for fix as you read this--
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

I had a similar issue with mine twice. The first time it was the 30 amp starter relay located in the junction box under the hood, replaced it and I was good for 2 years and then.....

The second time the harness on top of my transmission wasn't properly plugged in, the diagnostic scanner would show that the car was in maual 2 regardless of what position the shifter was in. I did have the trans out to install a converter and likely hadn't plugged it back together properly.

Both situations my no start issue appeared random like yours.

The rattling of the starter is likely a small piece of a brush which has come apart, mine does it now and then, more so when it's cold out. It's not that uncommon to hear that, we don' t have many vics left as cruisers where I work but I know that sound well as many of them would do it too.
    1987 GN running 10's. 2003 MM Blue Sold and dearly missed!
    2003 Black 300B
    Procharger P1sc with air to air intercooler
    3,000 PI converter
    4.10 Eaton posi 31 spline carrier
    Moser 31 spline axles
    Koos headers, with custom stainless exhaust, Megs tips
    Carbon fiber drive shaft
    Metco control arms
    Every autometer procomp gauge in the catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I had a similar issue with mine twice. The first time it was the 30 amp starter relay located in the junction box under the hood, replaced it and I was good for 2 years and then.....

The second time the harness on top of my transmission wasn't properly plugged in, the diagnostic scanner would show that the car was in maual 2 regardless of what position the shifter was in. I did have the trans out to install a converter and likely hadn't plugged it back together properly.

Both situations my no start issue appeared random like yours.

The rattling of the starter is likely a small piece of a brush which has come apart, mine does it now and then, more so when it's cold out. It's not that uncommon to hear that, we don' t have many vics left as cruisers where I work but I know that sound well as many of them would do it too.
    Going to try and replace the relay first. Should be cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderman View Post
    Similar condition with my Vic --traced power draw on battery from the LCM causing battery too weak to start off and on --LCM in mail to fastblackmerc for fix as you read this--
    Battery does not sound weak. Almost like the ignition is not connecring.

Just to be clear, are you saying the engine won't crank, or that it cranks but won't start?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Just to be clear, are you saying the engine won't crank, or that it cranks but won't start?
    Engine won't crank. But after a few tries it will crank and starts right up like nothing was wrong.

Starter relay possibly??
    No Marauder

Check all your connections + & -.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

+1 on starter relay. These ore often overlooked. Exchange relay with another in panel to test.

I had same issue. Changed to new battery (it needed one anyway), changed the brake peddle lock out switch, then changed starter relay.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Check your major ground connections in the engine compart also. Undo the positive on the battery, undo and clean your starter connections, alternator, fuse box and engine grounds to the frame. Just a little corrosion on any one of these can cause this. Use a little sandpaper on any dirty connections you find and apply dielectric grease. Tighten all down to spec. This is the cheapest, easiest fix to start with anyway.

So, let me back up a bit and add a part that might have something to do with the starting problem.

I recently purchased a power window / door lock bezel from someone on here with all the switches. Great used part, no complaints. Works great except when I turn the key to start the car, my power locks would activate. I am pretty sure it was unlocking the doors, twice. Once when I turned the key forward to start and once after I started it. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyways in the meantime I switched out the starter solenoid relay with the air suspension relay( air bags have been deleted, I bought it that way) and have replaced the power lock switch with the old one from before. No starting problems all day today. We'll see.

Thanks for the previous responses!

Oh yea. No more power lock activation noise. Hopefully it's fixed!

Refund no issue.
    Lmk
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Refund no issue.
    Lmk
    Nah. It's cool. I switched out the power lock button already plus I needed the bezel because of the broken tab on mine. It's good! Thanks!

Ah...This is something I know about.....free advise to you, costly to me.....A specialty Ford shop, that only repairs Fords, started out with changing the starter, then the transmission switch, then something about the cluster....After hours & hours of wiring diagnoses the fault was found in the ECM (computer) ground.....They ran a separate ground from the module to the apron.....started ever since....by the way, this was on my 06 Crown Vic.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information