Thread: XCalibrator Tuner...

Talking XCalibrator Tuner...

Ok folks...
    I've spent time searching here and it appears that everyone is happy with the "Super Chips" Custom Tuner XCalibrator....
    As I understand...my 2004 MM must be flashed... .....and the XCalibrator is the way to go...
    I want to hang on to my Warrantee...One year old with 9800 miles...
    The only Modifications made to date is a K&N air charger...
    Just looking for a little confirmation here before I spend $500.00...
    Your comments would be greatly appreciated....
    Thanks, architect

My advice is to call Lidio at Alternative Automotive. He has written the tunes for the 2 fastest Marauders on the planet and is known for being on conservative side of tuning. You can "de-flash" when going in for warranty work and nobody will be the wiser.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Architect
    Ok folks...
    I've spent time searching here and it appears that everyone is happy with the "Super Chips" Custom Tuner XCalibrator....
    As I understand...my 2004 MM must be flashed... .....and the XCalibrator is the way to go...
    I want to hang on to my Warrantee...One year old with 9800 miles...
    The only Modifications made to date is a K&N air charger...
    Just looking for a little confirmation here before I spend $500.00...
    Your comments would be greatly appreciated....
    Thanks, architect
    All I would suggest is that you buy it from someone that supports the site, has extensive knowledge of our MM's, and knows the tuners/flashers in and out.

I had some problems with the XCAL. May have just been my specifc application, but I received great support and eventually got everything worked out. I ended up with an SCT 9100 tuner, which is no longer produced, but you can still get them.
    The XCAL2 is the replacement.
    Check out www.sctflash.com
    There is more product information and a forum you can search for more specific answers.
    I'd recommend an XCAL2, with the understanding that all Software updates (BIOS, and software) have been made by the selling party.

You will gain great performance benefits from the custom tune supplied with the unit.

For the warranty, you will be OK as long as you don't delete your PCM and have to take it in to be re-programmed by the dealer.

You messed with it, you pay for it. I did.

Good luck.

Peter aka MMM2003
    300A Stock MM03 born on 6/25/2002 - sold June 2010!
    (owner from 8/26/2002 - June 2010)

- Production# 2003 of 7838
    - @17000miles 1/4 in 15.1s@93.3mph
    - 180 TStat
    - 235/50/18 on all four corners
    - Dyno tune by SCT (Jerry W.) on 04-03-04
    @ 260.7 hp/285.5 ft-lbs
    - Front and rear EBC brakes with SS lines
    - PHP upper & lower rear control arms
    - Metco C/F intake tube
    - Infinity speakers

Quote Originally Posted by MMM2003
    All I would suggest is that you buy it from someone that supports the site, has extensive knowledge of our MM's, and knows the tuners/flashers in and out.

I had some problems with the XCAL. May have just been my specifc application, but I received great support and eventually got everything worked out. I ended up with an SCT 9100 tuner, which is no longer produced, but you can still get them.
    The XCAL2 is the replacement.
    Check out www.sctflash.com
    There is more product information and a forum you can search for more specific answers.
    I'd recommend an XCAL2, with the understanding that all Software updates (BIOS, and software) have been made by the selling party.

You will gain great performance benefits from the custom tune supplied with the unit.

For the warranty, you will be OK as long as you don't delete your PCM and have to take it in to be re-programmed by the dealer.

You messed with it, you pay for it. I did.

Good luck.

Peter aka MMM2003
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What they all said....
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

If you decide against the xcal2, I have a max tuner by superchips for sale in the classifieds. Absolutely pristine and guaranteed flawless. Comes with everything for only 250.00 OBO.....pm me if interested. As far as tuners and such, as long as you get a custom tune done by a professional (like Lidio) you will get the maximum potential available......and with the warranty, most tuners (mine included) has a "return to stock" option that takes less than 5 minutes for when you go to the dealer.....good luck
    RIP 03 Procharged Marauder/FIT Kit #3.
    New Toy: 2001 Mustang GT built motor, heads, cams, and a Procharger D1sc. 539rwhp 457rwtq 11.5@125 on stock rear end and bald drag radials.

I've had my MM for only a monthg and have reflashed with the XCal2 and a Dennis Reinhart tune. I"ve also installed the K&N CAI and 4.10 gears. My LM dealer has agreed that the gears (which I told him I installed for trailor towing purposes) and the CAI will not void my warranty. As for the reflash, I'll just reflash back to stock before taking the car in for warranty service. These mods have awakened my MM and it feels much more powerful and responsive now. Just for your information, I believe that the reflash is the heart of the recipe. It's the first thing you should do and will give the most bang for the buck and the greatest SOTP feeling of power of any mod you can do. (short of a $5000 supercharger, that is)_
    Ray Kammer - Orlando, Florida
    2003 Marauder 300B - #7809 of 7838 and #400 of 417 Silver Birch, XCAL II Programmer, 410s, K&N Cold Air - SOLD, darn it.

1987 Buick Turbo T WE4 - 11 second street recipe
    1971 Buick GS455 - 68,000 mile original

Very happy with my XCal2 with a couple of DR tunes. Can't wait to
    test the track tune...

My car has really woken up alot on its own in 30k miles. The DR base tune made much more difference in both daily and WOT driving than I'd have ever thought. Having patiently waited longer than anyone here to make any stock changes (still a safe statement for a few months) I'm glad I did wait since the tune is obviously much better developed than the earlier ones.

I'm sure Lidio's is terrific, but I'm very happy with Dennis'. I doubt anyone would go wrong in dealing with either of those fellows.

It's like Scotch. At a certain quality level, you stop really being able to go wrong.
    - SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

First of all $500 is TOO MUCH to pay for an Xcal.

There are several options where you can purchase an Xcal and pay about $100 less,
    and all of these vendors support MM.net and our Marauders, or course.

Wes Chain ( http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com )
    Lidio Iacobelli ( http://www.alternativeauto.com )
    Dennis Reinhart ( http://www.reinhartautomotive.com )

There pricing is competetive, and lots of members have posted nothing but excellent experiences with them.

I have ordered an Xcal from Wes Chain, with Lidio's tune on it.
    The Xcal gave me some problems, and proved to be a defective unit.
    I offered Lidio to upgrade my Exchange Xcal for an Xcal2 and I would cover the difference in cost.
    Lidio and Wes were both as helpful as humanly possible,and my Xcal2 should be arriving soon.

As far as which tune you should get,
    it's all in what you are expecting to get from your Marauder,
    understanding the Marauder's limitations and possibilities,
    and then understanding how Dennis and Lidio tune for the Marauder.

After you've considered each one of your choices,
    then you can apply the one, that you feel, will fit your goal the best.

Then come back here and tell us what you chose and how much you like it !
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

twolow Guest
    XCal + Lidio = Very happy twolow

I respect that folks who have spent their money with a particular tuner would feel they got the best tune, this is normal human behavior. But, has anyone done both? Any "side by side" 411 to see which tuner brings out the best in a Marauder?

Thread Information