MercuryMarauder.net Forums    

Go Back   MercuryMarauder.net Forums > The Garage > Shop Talk

Shop Talk Visit Shop Talk for all your general technical discussions regarding the Marauder!

Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 AM

Trader: (6)
voltage issue with A/C?

Ok, so im posting this here because CVN is having issues with new post. Maybe someone here can help me resolve this. Its not a marauder but a 2005 crown vic lx sport.
Issue im having is that when driving with A/C off, all works great and normal like it should. When driving with A/C on and I come to a stop at a light, voltage drops from 14 to 13 in one shot and car some surges/hesitates. It rapidly goes back up to 14volts. This happens everytime I come to a stop.

Is this issue related more to compressor problem or something else?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Everything Marauder, LEDs & HI

Trader: (75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownvic05 View Post
Ok, so im posting this here because CVN is having issues with new post. Maybe someone here can help me resolve this. Its not a marauder but a 2005 crown vic lx sport.
Issue im having is that when driving with A/C off, all works great and normal like it should. When driving with A/C on and I come to a stop at a light, voltage drops from 14 to 13 in one shot and car some surges/hesitates. It rapidly goes back up to 14volts. This happens everytime I come to a stop.

Is this issue related more to compressor problem or something else?
The A/C compressor might be locked up. With the A/C off the compressor clutch free wheels. With the A/C on the clutch is engaged and if the compressor is locked up it might be causing the problem.

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
General James Mattis

Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 AM
I miss whitey here

Trader: (5)
Does it do it in park? Vs in gear?

Pop the hood and check battery connections, how well does it idle ?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 AM

wouldn't a locked compressor cause bigger problems like maybe snapping belts or unable to start car?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM
73 is the best number.

Trader: (2)
What happens if you put the car in gear, foot on the brake, THEN turn on the A/C?
Trilogy #61
Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
Daily Driver
Old 07-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Everything Marauder, LEDs & HI

Trader: (75)
Quote:
wouldn't a locked compressor cause bigger problems like maybe snapping belts or unable to start car?
It's possible. You need to do some more PD.

Could also be bad / loose / corroded + & - connections.

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
General James Mattis

Last edited by fastblackmerc; 07-11-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:31 AM
I miss whitey here

Trader: (5)
Does it still do burnouts?
Problem solved!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Sick-Speed play toy

Trader: (11)
Sounds like a weak alternator not keeping up with the draw of the A/C. Mine dips to 12 flat with A/C, stereo, lights, and perhaps lower yet with anything else. Been that way for a couple of years and never once failed to start even with my hi torque starter. Mine doesn’t hesitate at all but gives off a neat cam surging idle the more I stress the voltage LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM

So when in parked and ac on, everything is good. If i put the car in drive with ac on, everything is good. When i put car in reverse with ac on, volt dips from 14.2 to 13 then moves back up slowly. With ac on everytime i hit a red light, volt dips to 13 and slowlyback up to 14. With ac off, none of this happens.

So all of this issue happens with ac on. Only time ac and voltage is fine is when in parked.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Trader: (0)
Quote:
So when in parked and ac on, everything is good. If i put the car in drive with ac on, everything is good. When i put car in reverse with ac on, volt dips from 14.2 to 13 then moves back up slowly. With ac on everytime i hit a red light, volt dips to 13 and slowlyback up to 14. With ac off, none of this happens.

So all of this issue happens with ac on. Only time ac and voltage is fine is when in parked.

Car starts? A/C blowing cold? No strange noises? I think you're good. It's a machine - don't let it drive you nuts.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

'The sea will grant each man new hope. The sleep brings dreams of home. - Cristoforo Columbo, The Journal of Christopher Columbus (during His First Voyage, 1492-1493)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM
73 is the best number.

Trader: (2)
There's a function in the PCM that's supposed to goose the RPM slightly when the compressor is commanded on to mitigate the additional load. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that clears anything. Other than that, I'm outta idears.
Trilogy #61
Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
Daily Driver
Old 07-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Drives me nuts because this is not how car was running until 2 weeks now. So something is going to happen eventually.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Drives me nuts because this is not how car was running until 2 weeks now. So something is going to happen eventually.
You may not discover the issue until an obvious failure takes place. Then, it will be easier to diagnose and repair - no need in stressing out about something you really don't have control over at the moment. Just let the situation develop and just kick back with your favorite beverage....
2015 Triumph Trophy SE
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

'The sea will grant each man new hope. The sleep brings dreams of home. - Cristoforo Columbo, The Journal of Christopher Columbus (during His First Voyage, 1492-1493)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Sick-Speed play toy

Trader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invective View Post
You may not discover the issue until an obvious failure takes place. Then, it will be easier to diagnose and repair - no need in stressing out about something you really don't have control over at the moment. Just let the situation develop and just kick back with your favorite beverage....

Like at night on the side of the road?

He has plenty of control right now. Diagnosing is typically easier in the comfort of your garage. With tools.

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbob View Post
Like at night on the side of the road?

He has plenty of control right now. Diagnosing is typically easier in the comfort of your garage. With tools.

Philosophers through the ages have grappled with the age old question: Why do machines sometimes do weird stuff? Their collective conclusion: @$#%&*%&$#@$!
2015 Triumph Trophy SE
2008 Triumph Sprint ST