Thread: SCT 9400 Questions

SCT 9400 Questions

I searched and cannot find any information about the following.

I have a SCT 9400 with two tunes in it. I've had a few electrical problems lately that led me to reprogram my Crown Vic.
    Since my SCT 9400 is an obsolete tool I cannot find any information on it. I inherited the tuner when I bought the car.
    No user manual or any paper work. What information I have I downloaded off the internet. I've datalogged several times, usually after changing a component of the car.
    Anyway, I have purchased two very good tunes for my car and I'm mostly satisfied with the results. I know just enough about how to use the tuner to be dangerous.

While reprogramming the car recently I noticed that I have 10 "options" available that I can tweak while reprogramming. A step I had always "skipped" previously.
    However, I cannot find any information/instructions, etc., that explain anything about those 10 "options".

Does anyone know of, or have any documentation concerning those 10 "options"?

The "options" available are:

Global Spark
    WOT Air/Fuel
    Axel Ratio - 3.73
    Tire Revs/Mile - 746
    Speed Limit - None
    Rev Limit Drive - 6500
    Rev. Limit Neutral - 4000
    Idle Speed - 600

WOT Shift 1 – 2
    WOT Shift 2 – 3
    WOT Shift 1 – 2
    Shift Pressure 1 – 2
    Shift Pressure 2 – 3
    Shift Pressure 3 – 4

The six bold type ones I understand, the rest are pure magic to me.

I'm really looking for an explanation of these "options". How and why to change any of them.

2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Whose time are you running?

Lightbulb SCT 9400 X2

This was too easy.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/54...ford-9400.html

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/54...00.html?page=2

Pages of material at your fingertips. I prefer duckduckgo.

Do be careful what you tweak as the car may not start. Just imagine the towing bill and the dealer charge to restore your PCM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    This was too easy.

Do be careful what you tweak as the car may not start. Just imagine the towing bill and the dealer charge to restore your PCM.
    You can always restore the tune to the original or a saved one.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Whose time are you running?
    My 87 octane tune is from Blue Oval Chips (email order), but I can't get a response from them anymore. My 93 octane tune is from CMD Automotive, Charlotte, NC, it was done after I'd made several changes like wheels, tires, and 3.73 Auburn posi rearend.

Using the 87 octane tune most of the time...The only thing I don't like is the programed shift points. I have discovered that since I changed my wheel/tire size my 3.73:1 rear end's "effective" ratio is 3.75:1 and it seems my 4R70W shift points are too high. I usually just turn off O/D and shifts seem normal. Harsh, but normal.
    Could just be my imagination.
    Last edited by CrownVic75; 08-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    You can always restore the tune to the original or a saved one.

That's my thinking too, be we've probably read some of the same horror stories. Since I'm a novice, I don't know what went wrong in those situations. I'll seek professional services from those who know what's going on. Can only go so far with freebies.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

This was too easy.

I use DuckDuckGo exclusively.
    I have that document. I'm looking for a little more in-depth documentation.

I've cut several posts from various forums trying to put together all the info I can find about the SCT 9400.

Mo said that the new tune files (*.cef) usually aren't compatible with the older 9400.

(Seems SCT threw customer support out the window. IMHO they should have an "archive" folder on their website to download files for the older tuners. Or at least make a programmer that could create backward compatible tune files. I wouldn't trust them to support a new device for very long either.)

I don't want to spend $300-$500 on a new tuner and then another $100+ on new tunes. For that kind of money I believe I can take it to a dyno shop and get a tried and tested tune, since I don't understand everything I know about this.

I was hoping that by using the "options" on the 9400 I could massage some setting to fix the shift problem. maybe, someday I'll find a real SCT Guru to answer my many, many questions.

2004 CV LX Sport

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by CrownVic75 View Post
    I use DuckDuckGo exclusively.
    I have that document. I'm looking for a little more in-depth documentation.

I've cut several posts from various forums trying to put together all the info I can find about the SCT 9400.

Mo said that the new tune files (*.cef) usually aren't compatible with the older 9400.

(Seems SCT threw customer support out the window. IMHO they should have an "archive" folder on their website to download files for the older tuners. Or at least make a programmer that could create backward compatible tune files. I wouldn't trust them to support a new device for very long either.)

As you already know, your device was obsoleted 10 years ago. There are so many Ford forums on the web and Facebook that someone has the answers you seek. Do keep this forum informed as many (including myself) find your predicament interesting.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

As you already know, your device was obsoleted 10 years ago. There are so many Ford forums on the web and Facebook that someone has the answers you seek. Do keep this forum informed as many (including myself) find your predicament interesting.
    Interesting? That's one way to put it.

I knew it was obsolete but not for how long. However, since the unit I have is "married" to the car and has good tunes in it that just need some tweaks, why should I have to spend a pound of money on a new device when this one works just fine?
    The only problem is to find someone with a decent programmer (software) that can create tunes for it.
    I found it perplexing that SCT's latest program (software) can't make a backward compatible ".cef" file (according to MO) . To me that's poor application planing on SCT's part. But then Microsoft likes to to play that same game with Windows. I believe they call it "planned obsolescence".

I was looking at the program "Advantage III" form SCT that costs $350. But I don't know if it is "backward compatible". And they want you to buy training for another $650. Ha! That might be OK for a business but not for an end user.

2004 CV LX Sport

PS. This post has some information on "options".

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ad.php?t=59047

2004 CV LX Sport

Quote Originally Posted by CrownVic75 View Post
    PS. This post has some information on "options".

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ad.php?t=59047

Other than the conversation referring to changing the tune once spring weather rolls around I have no understanding on what the balance of their conversation was about and don't pretend to. Our winters are far milder here so I'm not concerned about fuel quality although I do prefer E0 93 for my Marauder/Mustang and its getting tougher to find regionally.

If you understood what the conversation was about and choose to make changes to your car's ecm, I for one, would like to know how it turns out. In the meantime, I have an appointment with MartyO later this month(?) to make a number of modifications/improvements and tune the car accordingly.

My SCT X4 and dedicated HP laptop with the SCT Update Program installed are ready to go. Finally got around to installing the Dealer Tool program on the same laptop yesterday (Triumph Motorcycles) and will be going outside shortly to use it for the first time to pull info to send to the UK to complete my 'program key' purchase for both of my bikes.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Thread Information